PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a PPL and a CPL?

mark147
29th May 2005, 13:35
Simple question really: can you have both a JAA PPL and a JAA CPL at the same time or do you surrender the PPL when you get a CPL?

The only reason why I think it matters is the medical requirements. If I went for a CPL and lost the PPL, I'd need to maintain a class I medical even if I decided I only wanted to do private flights.

Anyone know the answer?

Mark

Whirlygig
29th May 2005, 14:53
Your CPL will cover you for PPL. If you fail a Class 1 medical, then it reverts to a Class 2 (unless you fail that as well) and you can only fly on PPL privileges.

If you want to maintain the CPL, then you will have to maintain a Class 1 medical.

If you decide you only want to do private flights and not earn any money from flying anymore, then there is no need to keep up the Class 1; just go for Class 2.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Miserlou
29th May 2005, 19:36
One is still obliged to maintain the currency requirements though.
If, however, you don't want to fly SEP you can give up those priviledges. If one flies less than your 12 hours in a 24 month period then one still has to do a flight with an instructor in a SEP.

If you have flown the 12 hours then you have to mention this at an OPC or PC and you get your signature for SEP priviledges. Oddly enough, it may be an instructor who doesn't have SEP priviledges himself.

helicopter-redeye
29th May 2005, 20:11
You could have a CPL from a JAR state but have applied for a SPL with a non JAR but ICAO state prior to gaining the CPL but when having a PPL, and thus still have a CPL (JAR) and a SPL (PPL) from another state.

(I confess to having been drunk when I wrote this ...)

orionsbelt
29th May 2005, 20:57
I have both JAA CPL valid 5 years and UK PPL valid for Life.
If I no longer wish to Instruct for pay but just for fun say in a group, then I will not renew the CPL and just fly on the PPL and save the CPL renewal fee. Subject to maintaining Class 1/2 medicals.
Cheers
Orion

Whopity
29th May 2005, 23:10
JAR-FCL 1.065e

An applicant shall hold only one JAR-FCL Licence (aeroplane) and only one medical certificate at any time. 2.065 says the same for helicopters.

BEagle
30th May 2005, 05:57
I too have a lapsed UK (non JAR-FCL) PPL(A) which was superseded by a UK (non JAR-FCL) Restricted BCPL. That has now lapsed as I now hold a JAR-FCL ATPL(A).

Not sure whether to bother having the ATPL re-issued when the 5 year point comes up, may resurrect the Restricted BCPL (10 years validity) instead. Or, if the FI rating privileges have changed to include the right to give remunerated flight instuction at PPL(A) level, perhaps I'll just resurrect the lifetime UK PPL(A)?

mark147
30th May 2005, 18:34
Whopity,

Thanks for that reference -- that's what I'd thought. Shame.

Whirlygig,

Interesting you say that you can fly on a private flight with a CPL and a Class II medical -- I can't find anything in the ANO or the JARs to support that. Do you have a reference? I hope it's true but I can't find anything written down to support it.

Mark

Curtis E Carr
30th May 2005, 20:24
ANO Section 1 Schedule 8 Page 4 Sub-para (1) and Page 11 Sub-para (1) (a) for UK CPLs and JAR CPLs respectively.

See also JAR-FCL 1.150 (a) (1)

Finally, JAR-FCL 1.105

Enjoy!

PS. Also similar paragraphs exist for helis, of course

mark147
31st May 2005, 11:25
Interesting. I've read those and they seem to be quite ambiguous.

You could take your interpretation or you could consider that to exercise any of the privileges of a CPL, you need a class 1 medical (JAR-FCL 1.145), one such privilege being that it allows you to do what you could do with a PPL.

However, the ANO seems to be very vague on the medical requirements so in practice it may be fine.

I think I might need to ask the CAA SRG what their interpretation is.

Any more thoughts anyone?

Mark