PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL IR in Canada

BroomstickPilot
29th May 2005, 09:45
In view of the mounting difficulty and cost of training in the USA, I am considering taking the FAA CPL and IR elsewhere.

I should like to consider doing these courses in Canada, however I do not favour the BC coast as I understand the climate there is just as bad as that of the UK.

I would be grateful for any suggestions of good FTOs, anywhere East of the Rockies, where FAA training is available.

I need to be certain that there are not only instruction facilities available, but a plentiful supply of examiners also.

(I don't speak French, which I suppose rules out Quebec. Pity, I believe its a place worth a visit).

Can someone please advise?

Best regards,

Broomstick.

mundaka
29th May 2005, 13:40
Itīs been a while since I did my initial training. I offer what I know.
I am not sure of the number of schools able to provide flight training towards an FAA certificate.
In Ontario, I think of, perhaps, Toronto Airways, ATR in Toronto Island or any other close to the border in Niagara.
I know for sure that in Quebec, the Montreal Flying Club used to have the possibility of converting a canadian license to an American one.
In Montreal you can Train and live in english if that is what you are looking for. I know enough people who work and live in English in Montreal. They are all pilots.
You can also learn french if you wanna meet interesting chicks. But as far as FAA training pertains, i recommend you take Transport Canada training instead. It is highly valued and you can always write the writen exam and hire an examiner at the end, south of the border, which will add your FAA certificates to the gamble.
Hope this helps.
Good luck

Julio

Willie Everlearn
30th May 2005, 23:08
:confused:
To the best of my knowledge and expertise, you can't do an FAA CPL in Canada as there are no Part 142 "approved" schools to provide the PPL, IR, and ME bits.
(Bombardier Aerospace Training Centre, CAE Montreal, and Flight Safety excepted)

So, good luck.
:ok:

SAW
31st May 2005, 00:37
Why not just do a Canadian licence then convert when you are ready. Next question if you are from the UK why get an FAA ticket in the first place? Why not just do the CAA/JAA course at one of the approved schools. As for west coast weather can be abit damp in the winter summers are good, central Canada, hot dry summers cold dry winter usually good flying wx, eastern warm humid summers with T-storms can have wet snowy miserable winters. BC coast isn't as bad as you think.

510orbust
31st May 2005, 17:21
The weather in BC is no where near as bad as in the UK. If you are thinking of going in the months between middle of oct/nov through till april then yes look for fog low clouds and lots of rain. In the summer bc has a pretty good track record for sun warm weather and lots of things to do......

I was an instructor in BC for a few years at Boundary Bay, check out canadian flight centre they deal with international people

BroomstickPilot
1st Jun 2005, 16:54
Many thanks, Canadians all, for your replies.

Quite a bit of useful info there.

Much obliged.

Broomstick.

V2+30 Flaps Up
8th Jun 2005, 08:20
How about training towards your FAA tickets under Part 91 rules. You don't need to be under Part 141 to obtain your FAA licenses in the US. When you go to a local flying club in the US, the flight instructor is basically free-lance and instructing with the clubs rentals.

Why can't a pilot with an FAA Flight Instructor Certificate do the same for someone in Canada???

spencer101
8th Jun 2005, 23:07
I believe that the instructor would have to also have his Canadian Commercial licence to be the PIC of the aircraft while doing the instruction. Even just to rent an aircraft form the local cnd. flying club he would have to get his canadian licence.

V2+30 Flaps Up
9th Jun 2005, 00:59
So in my case for instance, I posess both Canadian and FAA ATP licenses with CFII on my FAA license, I could instruct someone in Canada towards an FAA license in a C-registered aircraft correct?