PDA

View Full Version : VOLMET - who uses it?

TheOddOne
28th May 2005, 10:51
Specifically the UK versions, London Volmet Main, North & South?

Do we still need these? Do crews monitor them any more?

Under what circumstances would you use them?

What about Ops rooms? Are you all using the Internet instead, these days?

Thanks,

The Odd One

Stan Woolley
28th May 2005, 11:01
As a pilot I use them all the time, without ACARS how else do you get weather outside ATIS range?

EGYI
28th May 2005, 11:35
Yes we still need them (many short haul ac are not ACARS equipped)
I use them almost daily especially when returning from the continent for a good heads up on the wx up north - the Volmet North can be picked up south of Paris which gives us a good idea of any likely problems at destination and alternates with an hour + to go
I would also use the Main and the South to pick up en route alternates along the route well in advance of reaching them, this helps with any diversion decisions should they become neccesary.
Ops rooms - or crew rooms in our case is all done through the internet for weather, notams, flight plans etc.

Chippie Chappie
28th May 2005, 14:03
Use them all the time. Always great to have the weather at, for instance, Southampton as you can generally pick up the ATIS from only about 40nm on the VOR. Not to mention getting the weather for alternates in the London area. Don't even think about messing with it. :ok:

Cheers,

Chips

No_Speed_Restriction
28th May 2005, 15:03
another alternative is to use london or scottish information. much clearer and quicker.

Piltdown Man
29th May 2005, 09:01
On CAVOK days, VOLMET is not so useful. But come the murky, foggy, stormy winter nights then I find VOLMET very useful for contingency planning - with one exception: If the airport is closed, say due broken aircraft on runway, that fact is not stated!

Genghis the Engineer
29th May 2005, 16:03
I tend to use it if I'm away from home and doing a longish X-country leg (particularly between smaller airfields), I may not have got the quality of Met I'd like before departing, and the ability to listen in on what's going on ahead of me is handy.

That is, I should say, the answer of somebody who trundles around the UK in smaller aircraft.

G

Volmet South
29th May 2005, 17:18
A chap could get paranoid you know ! :uhoh:

Would you rather get the Wx off the shipping forecast ?

TheOddOne
22nd Jun 2005, 20:42
Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

We'll make sure that LGW is still represented on 1 of the 3 UK VOLMETS.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

holyflurkingschmitt
22nd Jun 2005, 22:04
We use them every day because as mentioned above were also none ACARS so if youre out of ATIS range yours guess is as good as mine with regards the weather!!

Volmets rock apart from when you've just missed your airfield and have to listen to half a dozen you don't need isn't that called sod's law?

HFS:cool:

Spitoon
22nd Jun 2005, 22:55
We'll make sure that LGW is still represented on 1 of the 3 UK VOLMETS.
Is anyone suggesting that it won't be?

TheOddOne
23rd Jun 2005, 05:06
Is anyone suggesting that it won't be?

No, certainly not. VOLMET continues to fulfil a vital role.

TheOddOne

320DRIVER
23rd Jun 2005, 09:44
We do have ACARS installed but to monitor enroute weather we use VOLMET as there is always a cost to use ACARS. Its only a few pence per message but it adds up when you consider the whole fleet throughout the year.