PDA

View Full Version : (Not) a good weekend for training!

orangeforahead
27th May 2005, 21:04
Tonight an R22 at Sherburn in Elmet came a cropper on the airfield. Both occupants OK, machine destroyed.

Oh dear

swordfling
27th May 2005, 22:24
Good to hear everyone got out OK.

Heliport
27th May 2005, 22:29
I agree.

That's what matters. :ok:

lartsa
28th May 2005, 09:01
Another one no injurys thankfully

flyer43
28th May 2005, 09:08
Although I strongly agree that it matters that everybody survived this accident, surely that isn't what really matters. Shouldn't somebody be doing more to identify what is really causing so many of these machines to have accidents and doing something to address the cause(s)?

Heliport
28th May 2005, 09:23
My comment was, of course, meant in context.

The safety record of the R22 and its suitability or otherwise for training, are amongst the most researched, discussed and controversial issues in the rotary world in recent years. We've had numerous, sometimes seemingly interminable, discussions here. Strong views are often expressed both ways, sometimes informed comments and sometimes not. I don't know, but I assume research continues.
Incidents/accidents aren't confined to the R22.

H

28th May 2005, 10:22
Yes i agree glad no one was hurt, but could these accidents be avoided, how long dose this go on.
The R22 is a lovely helicopter, but as with all machines they will bite. when not respected and flown in the correct manor.
one more fine machine has been lost.:{

idle stop
28th May 2005, 10:59
Let's please not have another bout of hysteria about the R22 accident record.
The R22 is around in great numbers, and is frequently used for training, which will, of course, increase the risk of training accidents.
Yes, we're all glad that nobody was badly injured and, yes, it's a pity that another aircraft has ben written off, but Accidents do happen, often the causes can be determined and safety lessons learned. The R22 safety process was given impetus in the 1990s by the high accident rate for an aircraft which had brought helicopter flying within the budget of a lot of new people, was highly popular and being mass produced (at least in aviation terms!). Safety awareness, and modifcations such as the Governor, had a dramatic effect in reducing the incidence of mishaps.
Perhaps folk once said similar things about the accident rate for the Model-T Ford?

eoincarey
28th May 2005, 13:49
i presume the r22 was owned by by the local helicopter company there (Hields). Was it a lesson, or a solo. Who was the instructor if there was one aboard? Hope theyre both ok, the instructors up there are really friendly, had a lesson with one at christmas.

ETC

magbreak
28th May 2005, 15:37
Seems to be a good weekend for this sort of thing... Glad my feet are back on the ground till Monday :O

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4589883.stm

Whirlygig
28th May 2005, 16:23
I know the instructor and am so so glad he's OK. I possibly know the student and wish them all the best for a speedy recovery.

I also have over 100 hours in that Schweizer and was flying it yesterday.

Feeling shocked and stunned actually :(

Banjo
28th May 2005, 16:54
Glad to see everyone is well which I think we can all agree is the most important thing.

If you teach regularly especially EOL's then you have a good chance of being caught out one day, fact of life the more you do it the more the risk of getting it wrong. Wonder how quick the posts will come in knocking the 300 as a training machine. I have known a few damaged in training accidents but somehow they never seem to attract the same number of posts.

flyer43
28th May 2005, 18:04
Was this also a training flight, I haven't seen any main news article on it and was just wondering.

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th May 2005, 18:15
Whiry - It wasn't the aircraft in question - just confirmed with Captain L.

Whirlygig
28th May 2005, 18:34
TFS,

Captain L? I'm sorry but I know of whence I speak.

I do know the instructor and he was one of my instructors (and you'd be hard pushed to find a more experienced, qualified and likeable chap); the student wasn't who I thought it was. I have spoken with the Chief Pilot just now. Both the instructor and student are now OK; the student was discharged from hospital earlier.

Cheers

Whirls

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th May 2005, 21:03
Ignore me Whirls - I was sure I knew who you were - obviously not - My mistake ! Have a good weekend !

TFS

Whirlygig
28th May 2005, 21:34
You mean to say there is more than one woman who flies a Schweizer, lives in Newbury, rides a Triumph Bonneville, is a Chartered Accountant and amateur musician? Well, I'll be bu$$ered - would love to meet up with her!!

Cheers

Whirls

Red Wine
29th May 2005, 01:53
Careful Squirrel....

The real Whirly will out drink you as well......

Billywizz
29th May 2005, 12:09
Is this the same Sherburn that had R22 & R44 hit rotors last month?

Whirlybird
29th May 2005, 12:17
This may not be what's causing the confusion, but in case it does....

Whirlygig = WHIRLS
Whirlybird = WHIRLY

There, does that help at all? ;)

eoincarey
29th May 2005, 16:24
erm yes, it would be the same sherburn that had a ground incident a while back.
Was up at sherburn today for a bit of plank flying, got shown a piccy of the r22 in question.
Sorta looks like a toy helicopter put in a blender.

ETC

31st May 2005, 14:37
Question was this flight under instruction, or self fly????

come in copper 1
3rd Jun 2005, 18:58
I was informed by a friend of mine that flies with the same company that is was a self fly hire with 2 POB.
Again from what I as told, it was dynamic roll over, but that has not been confirmed.

Good thing is that they both walked away, bad thing is that this is the third chopper to be damaged in a month from the same company.

The R44 from the last incident was beyond economical repair, so I have been informed.

Oops

CIC
Keep it level!

eoincarey
3rd Jun 2005, 21:52
I can confirm this was 2 self fly hire PPL's doing a bit of practice together. Not sure bout dynamic rollover, Mike in the flying club told me that he saw it just tip backwards and sink like a stone
Mind you, im f/w, and really dont know what the hell "dynamic rollover" (other than what I gleaned from a brief look in a textbook)!

ETC

somethinggood
6th Jun 2005, 22:48
Hi there,

Just to clear things up.....I was at the accident..........two people involved.....both got their HPL's so no training was involved.

Pilot said that a gust of wind cought them.....blew them backwards.....skid possibly dug into ground......boom hit ground.....blades chopped through boom.......etc. Both people okay.

A lot of R22's crash cos there are a lot of them in the air.....not due to mechanical failure or any fault of the machine.