PDA

View Full Version : Instructing??

nick14
24th May 2005, 19:55
Hi guys,
Done lots of searching and cannot find any info on becoming an instructor!
What i would realy like to know is what ratings would i require to start instructing? Is it a case of getting PPL CPL IR and Night to start instructing or can i instruct with PPL CPL and FI? just wanting to know how much money i need to spend!!:D

I found out today that i enjoy teaching! Realy weird!! HA

Any help?
Nick

18greens
24th May 2005, 21:00
LASORS has all of the info, available on the CAA website.

You can instruct with PPL FI and just CPL ground school (but you can't be paid with out a CPL) .

Follow your dreams.

nick14
25th May 2005, 11:03
Is it possible someone could give me a rough cost of going from 0 to FI(R) with or without a night and imc??
Would be most grateful because i cannot realy find the info on the FTO's websites
Any recommended FTO??

thanks everyone
Nick

Irv
25th May 2005, 11:29
I've pm'd you with a link to a summary of what you need to do, (eg: hours- wise and what 'break down' between different hours) in order to start the FI course but on specific points in the questions you asked:

You'll need night qualifications yourself for your CPL issue (this assumes you want to be a paid instructor).

I/R - not necessary for many years, until you want to teach I/r later. IMC is good though if not technically needed for FI course.

Cost:
Waving wet finger in air - lots of opinions, no doubt much to argue about:
For any future CPL, get JAA Class 1 medical first - do it first to make sure you are 'fit' to have a CPL - a few hundred for 'initial'.
PPL in UK - £7000 (+/-1000)?
Hours building in UK - probably ranges from mid "4 figure" sum up to "high 4 figure" sum, depending HOW you do it.
CPL ground school in UK - low 4 figure sum?
CPL flight course in UK - mid 4 figure sum?
IMC course (not compulsory)- £2000 ?
FI(A)-R course - mid 4 figure sum?

You can cut costs doing things abroad- and time, which can be more important to some people Hours building for example doesn't matter where you do the hours, or you have the option of a foreign PPL and hours build and enter the JAA system for your CPL course. (or get a foreign CPL and enter mid course). To be a good JAA UK instructor in the UK though, do a fair bit of UK flying during your progress.

Irv

nick14
25th May 2005, 19:03
Thanks irv,
Is it worth me doing the ATPL subjects just incase i wanted to join the world of flying heavy metal?
If i do the ATPL subjects does that mean i will not have to do any ground school for PPL or CPL??
In short is it worth me doing:

PPL-night,imc
CPL
FI(R)
ATPL ground school
as opposed to:

PPL-night,imc
CPL
CPL ground school
FI(R)
will the latter stop me from continuing on to ATPL?

Thanks

Irv
25th May 2005, 22:24
Well if you have an ambition to fly the heavy metal, I'd do ATPL ground exams - no point in risking being driven insane twice by doing CPL ground exams first then ATPL exams as you get no official credit for starting ATPL with CPL already. The order you list things in would not be the order to do them... the ground school exams fit after the PPL whether ATPL or CPL.

nick14
26th May 2005, 12:47
I did have an ambition to fly with the "big boys" but now i think i would rather teach the small boys to be "big Boys" ha:ok:
Does doing PPL ground, CPL ground stop me from doing ATPL ground?

If i do ATPL ground before i start PPL and CPL does the ATPL theory count as sufficient for PPL and CPL or will i have to do separate GS for PPL and CPL?

Thanks muchly guys!!!

:ok:

Charlie Zulu
26th May 2005, 20:00
Hi Nick,

You have to do the groundschool for the PPL.

To start the JAA CPL groundschool *or* JAA ATPL groundschool you have to have an ICAO PPL issued (a JAA PPL is an ICAO PPL, as is an FAA PPL).

If you pass the JAA CPL groundschool you are still eligible to study for and pass the JAA ATPL groundschool but you will be covering old ground.

You can start the JAA ATPL groundschool with just an ICAO PPL. You do NOT need to have done the JAA CPL groundschool first.

You can instruct and be paid to do so with the following basic licences:

JAA CPL FI(R)

Thus you can go down the following route to obtain the above licence.

JAA PPL (including the groundschool!)
JAA CPL *OR* JAA ATPL Groundschool (doesn't matter which)
JAA CPL Flight Course
JAA FI(R) Flight Course

This will give you the JAA CPL FI(R)

However as you are intending to become a career instructor you'll one day, no doubt, like to teach Instrument Ratings (IR) courses. To do this you will require the following:

JAA CPL/IR FI with the Instrument Restriction Lifted

The important bit is you will require the JAA IR... thus you will have to either sit the JAA IR exams (if you originally sat the JAA CPL exams) or if you have already sat the JAA ATPL exams within the previous 3 years you'll be eligible to add a JAA IR to your licence.

Thus you have two routes:

JAA PPL
JAA CPL Groundschool
JAA CPL Flight Coures
JAA FI(R) Flight Course
Build up instructional experience and remove the (R) bit to become an FI.
JAA IR Groundschool
JAA IR Flight Course
Course to get theInstrument Restriction lifted from your JAA FI.

You'll be eligible to teach IR's etc but you will still NOT be able to fly the airliners as you would not have done the JAA ATPL exams.

The 2nd (better) route for the above is:

JAA PPL
JAA ATPL Groundschool
JAA CPL Flight Course
JAA FI(R) Flight Course
Build Up Instruction Experience, chance JAA FI(R) to JAA FI
JAA IR Flight Course (ATPL exams are only valid within the 3 years of passing all of them otherwise you have to do them all again before the JAA IR)
Course to get the Instrument Restriction lifted from your JAA FI.

You'd then be able to teach IR's etc... but will also be qualified to apply to the airlines if you so desire! A JAA MCC course may be required to gain employment with an airline but thats only a 2 week course.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

nick14
26th May 2005, 22:15
how do oxford do 14 subjects of ground school without doing a PPL first?

Stoney X
27th May 2005, 08:37
nick14, you are no doubt looking at Oxford's intergrated course. If you look at Lasors you will see that different requirements apply to modular and intergrated courses. In a modular course you must have a PPL before starting ATPL/CPL groundschool. Have a look at the Wannabes Forums (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14), specifically this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649) as most of the questions you are asking here are covered there.

Regards
Stoney

cavortingcheetah
31st May 2005, 15:13
;) If you haven't already done or been advised to do so; I would first of all get a Class 1 Medical and pass the new eye test requirements before lashing out any lolly.:eek:

Whopity
1st Jun 2005, 11:47
Before you take any exams, note that the ATPL exams once passed are only valid for 36 months to obtain both the CPL and the IR!

If you don't intend doing an IR then there is little point doing the ATPL exams, if they expire you have to resit them!