PDA

View Full Version : Radio telephone operators certificate

Ross_11
23rd May 2005, 12:28
Hello,
I am keen on obtaining a Canadian Commercial pilot license. In this regards I had some questions with particular reference to obtaining a Radiotelephone operator’s license (Aeronautical). It’ll be great if anyone here can pitch in with a word or two.
1. Firstly, how does one go about obtaining a Canadian Radiotelephone operator’s Certificate. I looked up the Transport Canada website, but couldn’t find much info on this. Where can I obtain more information on this such experience requirements, validity, tests/exams for it, privileges, etc.
2. Does one need to be in possession of a Private or Commercial license for it?
3. How does one go about converting a Canadian RadioTelephone operator’s certificate to one that is valid in the USA?
4. Given a choice between a Canadian and UK Radio telephone licenses, which of the two is more versatile with regards to conversions to one that is valid in the USA?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Jerricho
23rd May 2005, 15:27
Ross, I can only answer a few of your questions.

2. As far as I can tell, you can hold the R/T licence before obtaining your Private/Commercial licence. Abinitio ATCs undertake the exam at the College before they are posted to their units.

Reference your actually obtaining it, there is a package available with practice questions and alike. Perhaps your local ground school or flying club can help or may even have them.

bafanguy
23rd May 2005, 16:50
ross,

In the USA, if you have $50 and can figure out where to send it, you qualify for the permit...that's the "test"...no conversion required.

It's just another Imperial Federal Government scam to get more of your money.

Perhaps up there, they make you jump through some hoops but for aviation, the permit is still a scam no matter what country you're in, or how many "tests" you took.

Jerricho
23rd May 2005, 18:00
Hi again Ross,

I found this page on the Transport Canada site (knew I had seen it somewhere)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/exams/guides/tp11954/Canada.htm

There are some links there for the study guide and licencing, but being a TC site, it takes a bit of hunting through.

Best of luck mate :ok:

altiplano
23rd May 2005, 18:00
Q - 1. Firstly, how does one go about obtaining a Canadian Radiotelephone operator’s Certificate. I looked up the Transport Canada website, but couldn’t find much info on this. Where can I obtain more information on this such experience requirements, validity, tests/exams for it, privileges, etc.

A - Radio operators certificates are issued through Industry Canada. Their web site is http://www.ic.gc.ca/

Q - 2. Does one need to be in possession of a Private or Commercial license for it?

A - No.

Q - How does one go about converting a Canadian RadioTelephone operator’s certificate to one that is valid in the USA?

A - I fly into the US all the time - no need for a seperate certificate. Are you going to be flying in the USA fulltime? If so why bother with the Canadian certificate?

edited to fix the link...

510orbust
31st May 2005, 17:31
since i have both radio op certs all i can say is the UK one is a long process. Try reading the manual then having to sit in a radio simulator for 2 hours with an RT man marking you as your little airplane moves along the screen.

Do the canadian one!!!!

Ross_11
6th Jun 2005, 15:45
Thanks a lot to everyone for their inputs.

510orbust,
how does one go about doing the Canadian Radio telephone certificate?
Is there a written test followed by a transmission thingy or what?
Is there a website you can recommend?

The website provided by you, Jerricho, provides the info on the RT guide. I was actually keen on the procedure of obtaining the cert. Thanks nevertheless.

spencer101
6th Jun 2005, 19:46
If you are in Canada just go the the closest flying club and they will have all of the papers for you to fill out. I think the test is a few pages long and nothing to sweat about. No practical test when I took it, 15 yrs ago though.

CD
7th Jun 2005, 09:53
The website provided by you, Jerricho, provides the info on the RT guide. I was actually keen on the procedure of obtaining the cert. Thanks nevertheless.
The procedure for obtaining the certificate is actually outlined in the Study Guide:

RIC-21 - Study Guide for the Radiotelephone Operator's Restricted Certificate (Aeronautical) (http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf08176e.html)

RIC-66 - Addresses and Telephone Numbers of Regional and District Offices (http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf01742e.html)