PDA

View Full Version : Todays Pilot Nottingham Flyin

dublinpilot
22nd May 2005, 17:12
Is anyone from this forum planning on going to the Todays Pilot magazine flyin, in Nottingham Tollerton?

Details here (http://www.todayspilot.co.uk/flyin_0605/info.html)

I'm thinking of going, and if I do, it would be nice to meet some of the other forumites there!

dp

stiknruda
22nd May 2005, 17:43
DP,

I understand that the 'drome will be notammed closed from 13H to 1330 local on Sunday 5th.

This is to allow a mass arrival of up to 21 Pitts Specials in 7 three ship Vics from Leicester.

This amazing feat is being organised by your fellow forumite "Pitts2112". I believe that Barcli, Flossie, and possibly even Ludwig will be in the Balbo.

Personally, I feel that the whole thing is too dangerous for me and I shall be keeping well clear of "Doyle's Death Cloud", as I believe that the "big-wing" is now known. I may very well drive over.

Stik

bar shaker
22nd May 2005, 17:48
DP

Yep, went last year and it was really good.

This year, going as 5 microlights and 1 Aeronca.

Paul_Sengupta
23rd May 2005, 00:51
Didn't know it was fancy dress?

Barshifter
23rd May 2005, 07:35
Dublinpilot

Five microlights from Cumbria hoping to head down on Saturday for the evening bash.Should be good if the weather plays ball.

Barshifter

futurshox
25th May 2005, 17:12
I'll be there! Armed with a very long lens to catch all the aircraft with :-) I'll be going on the Saturday and making a thorough investigation of the contents of the bar on Saturday night :ok:

Stik, you not flying over? You don't have to fly in the wing just cause you're in a Pitts!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th May 2005, 19:33
Im planning to be there, wx permitting, in the star-spangled Citabria from Barton.

SSD

squawking 7700
25th May 2005, 21:27
Make that two star spangled aircraft!

I'm hoping to be in the Decathlon from Tatenhill - check flight permitting (Nottingham's my other home airfield).

I should be there about 9.30ish 'til about 11.30 and then drive over in the afternoon for a laze in the sun...........just like last year!

futurshox
30th May 2005, 19:09
Any more aircraft going, star-spangled or otherwise? My camera is twitching... ;)

dublinpilot
30th May 2005, 20:03
Well, if the weather is kind, I'm going to go myself.

Nothing worth getting your camera out for though, futurshox. Just an old PA28-140.

I'll be coming in from Dublin Intl, and plan to get there Saturday evening, and stay until Monday morning.

Is the Monday a public holiday there too? It is in Ireland. Just curious.

dp

bar shaker
31st May 2005, 11:46
DP

The Monday is not a public holiday in England.

futurshox
31st May 2005, 18:50
Dublinpilot - if it flies, I take its picture ;)

EddieHeli
1st Jun 2005, 15:19
Hope to be there, short hop from Sywell.
Look forward to meeting fellow pruners

dublinpilot
4th Jun 2005, 18:52
Well, I didn't get to go today :(

Cloud base around Dublin has been about 1200ft, and wind 15-20 across the runway. But the cloud base did pick up to around 2000 later in the afternoon.

Cloud base in Liverpool/Blackpool/East Midlands all seemed promising, outside the showers, if I could only get that far. But the real concern was crossing the sea. Isle of Man was mainly few 1200 and sct somewhere around 2000ft for most of the day.

A call to Met Eireann, revealed that I could expect a general cloud base across the Irish Sea of between 700-1000ft, widespread showers, and much of it in visibility down to 4.5km :{ Not the stuff for this VFR only pilot.

Oh well, might give it a go early tomorrow morning if there is an improvement.

dp

ps. I tried to cancel customs with the "Customs GA team" phone number shown on the GAR form, but get a message that it's a non-working number. Sent them an email instead. Anyone know their new number?

Barshifter
4th Jun 2005, 19:16
Dublinpilot

Yes it was rubbish weather up Northern England today aswell so needless to say we never got away either.

Try again next year maybee!!

Cheers

Barshifter

Bluebeard777
4th Jun 2005, 19:28
Dublinpilot, how were you flying VFR from EIDW, I thought all light GA activity had been sent elsewhere?

dublinpilot
4th Jun 2005, 20:14
Bluebeard777,

I'm afraid you've been misinformed there. There are two clubs still operating out of Dublin Intl, and a small number of private aircraft.

A great place to fly from :ok:

dp

Confabulous
4th Jun 2005, 20:28
DP,

Sorry to hear the wx was too bad to go, hope you make it tomorrow mate!

Confab

stiknruda
5th Jun 2005, 06:56
Just about to set off to Leics for Nottingham. Wx iffy but do-able, I think (hope).

Stik

Warped Factor
5th Jun 2005, 15:26
Flew up and back earlier today from EGLK.

Didn't seem as busy as in the scorching weather last year but a reasonable turnout nonetheless.

WF.

bar shaker
5th Jun 2005, 15:29
Tried to go, but there's only so much rain and lowering cloudbase that I am prepared to accept, these days.

:(

EddieHeli
5th Jun 2005, 15:30
Just got back from the Fly in. A Couple of showers on the way and could only get 1700 ft til north of Melton Mowbry.
great turnout though, enjoyed the day thoroughly including the pitts en masse.
Trip back was great, showers all gone and cloudbase lifted nicely.

Must get a pprune cap or something as I didn't meet any other pruners, but then I didn't know what to look for.

Who went? and what were you flying ?

I was with my wife in our white and red AA1B Yankee G-BBWZ
we are now based at Sywell.

Look out for us and say hi at the next one.

Barcli
5th Jun 2005, 17:58
Absolutely gutted that I never made it - been looking forward to it for months - upto Compton at 07.00 and its all low cloud this am then the dreaded warm sector aerrived by about 12:00 so realised would never have got home either !!! - need to know the dates for the next one soonest ( or the next French Chateaux)

dublinpilot
5th Jun 2005, 18:07
Anyone got any pics from the day?

dp

futurshox
5th Jun 2005, 21:18
Pix coming soon!

oscarmike
7th Jun 2005, 09:24
Intended going Saturday and camping overnight, but the forecast weather was pretty dire.

As it turned out, Saturday evening wasn't bad at all - wind had dropped and the sky cleared! :{

However, we eventually made it in our Jodel just after 14:00 on Sunday, and by this time the Wx was quite nice, we managed almost 3000' all the way.

Seemed like it was a good turn out - I think the show stealer was the beautiful AN2 LY-BIG - got some piccies and will try to post later.

regards

OM

Dave Unwin
7th Jun 2005, 11:00
Hi all, just a brief note to say 'thanks' to everyone that made it, and made it happen. The team here all hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did. We're still counting, but it looks like we raised about £1500 for charity.
Dave & Steve

oscarmike
8th Jun 2005, 22:25
Hi again

Didn't realise I can't post attachments, so hope this will work:

Antonov AN2 LY-BIG (http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.long3/images/an2.jpg)

Pitts specials (freespace.virgin.net/paul.long3/images/pitts.jpg)

Our Jodel is in the background!

regards

OM

futurshox
9th Jun 2005, 20:24
Here's a couple of pics:

http://futurshox.net/planes11/topi-formation-tollerton-1-.jpg

http://futurshox.net/planes11/topi-noses-2b-web.jpg

More here: futurshox.net (http://futurshox.net/aero.php)

I should add that these pics were taken on behalf of Today's Pilot magazine and are posted here with their permission. Look for more in an issue near you soon!

TheKentishFledgling
9th Jun 2005, 20:25
Fantastic photos.

Love the flying helmet decoration stik :)

tKF

dublinpilot
9th Jun 2005, 21:50
Thanks for the brilliant photos guys!:ok: