PDA

View Full Version : Safety Pilot

onedaymaybe?
21st May 2005, 13:36
If I go in the jump seat as a safety pilot for a new pilot in training what are the rules regarding logging of the flight hours.

If I am a requirement of the airline and I go as a safety pilot, then are these hours loggable or not..if so how are they logged.?

If something should happen while I am on board the aircraft as a member of crew, then I am still accountable surely as the CPT and the FO..is this correct or not..?

BOAC
21st May 2005, 14:34
IMO:

1) - None - see 2)

2) No - (NB: all flights are 'loggable' but these are not 'countable' towards anything - you could 'log' them as 'cover' or 'safety pilot'). Now, flight pay and allowances is a diffrent aminal :D

3) Not legally, but if you miss the TC's big mistake :eek: (wash my mouth out :D ) or do not pick up a significant problem from where you sit, your company may not think much of you! - 'cos that's why you are there.......................... and of course to take the seat if considered necessary - then they are 'countable'!

Gary Lager
21st May 2005, 19:24
IM O:

If you are a required member of the crew - ie. your company training manual (part D under JAR OPS) requires the presence of a safety pilot for the certain training duties, then you ought to log the hours (as I was told by my TCs, many years ago).

The hours still count towards your maximum annual flying hour total (UK? 900hrs), so they should go in your logbook for that reason alone - one of the reasons we keep logbooks in the first place.

I agree with BOAC regarding 'accountability' - though I consider that quite a horrible concept in aviation: as professionals we should be trying our damndest to get it right all the time, regardless of who is 'in charge' or paper.

If one is on board, and a situation develops, one had better feel able to do all possible to assist, to the very limit of one's capability - if not, one ought to quietly choose another career..!

Pub User
22nd May 2005, 00:06
oneday

According to LASORs (UK rules) Section A, Appendix B you are to log time spent 'supervising co-pliot activities' as P2

flyer4life
22nd May 2005, 01:26
Pub User, interesting point, but I wasn't sure that "pilot supervising co-pilot activities" is an accurate description of a safety pilot. So I had a closer look...

I noticed "pilot supervising co-pilot activities" is case F(ii) in that LASORS Appendix, and it does say to log P2 time.

However, further down the list is case N: "Pilot acting as safety pilot". This is supposed to be logged as SNY time in a spare column and so not added into your total time.

So the next question is, what exactly is "pilot supervising co-pilot activities"?

ifleeplanes
22nd May 2005, 07:55
From my company and my understanding since the aircraft requires a minimum compliment of 2 pilots and during a base check the only pilots QUALIFIED and TYPE rated are you and the TC, you log the hours.

Piltdown Man
25th May 2005, 13:12
We've has this one before. You are a "Supernumary" member of the crew. These hours are loggable, in the "Other Flying" column - ie, it doesn't count for this issue of licences and ratings. It's like the Third Officers (or teaboys or whatever they are called), they can't count "Club Class" towards an ATPL.

Flying Torquewrench
25th May 2005, 16:23
Check with your company management.

In our company we sometimes do safety pilot flight but they are regarded by the company and the CAA as Pilot supervising co-pilots duties. You are able to log these hours as P2 time.

But you need to check with your company what their definition of your safety pilots duties are.

Regards, FT