PDA

View Full Version : FAA ratings..

pipergirl
20th May 2005, 20:40
If I go to the States and(on my FAA licence issued against my JAA one), gain a ME and a night rating-
then return to the UK and start a CPL ME/IR course where do I stand with these two ratings?
do i have to do them again or can they be transferred over?
anyone have any idea?

Seaweed Knees
21st May 2005, 13:48
I dont think there is an FAA night rating, its just a part of the ppl. If you get an FAA PPL issued against your European one, it will restrict you from making night flights. Just go ahead and take the Multi PPL.

As far as conversion goes, im not sure about the night part of the ppl, but the rest transfers with a checkride. A single PPL does anyway, theres no reason a Multi PPL wouldnt also.

Have you considered obtaining and converting the FAA IR aswell?

Thread about the benefits of converting (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166375)

Julian
23rd May 2005, 11:43
Pipergirl,

Unfortunately you wont get any credit to your JAA licence for the ME and CPL :{

The night rating is actually done as part of the FAA PPL and therefore does not exsist as a 'solo' qualification. If you pass the JAA night qualification you will be able to fly at night on your FAA licence as the privledges are transferred over, until then you cant.

However, if you pass the IR then you will be entitled to add an IMC to you JAA licence on your return home and paying the appropriate fee (used to be £64 but you will have to check).

Julian.

-IBLB-
23rd May 2005, 13:49
Pipergirl : It is not possible to get a nightqualification on your FAA license, simply, as stated above, for the fact that it doesn't exist.
Except for the exceptions, you always have night-priviliges on an FAA PPL. (on of the exceptions being a FAA PPL based on a foreign license without a nightqualification).

However, it is possible to do a JAA night qualification in the US. You would have to do that with a JAR approved school/FTO.
In that case, you can have your nightqualification added to your JAR license.

Also the Multi-Engine Piston is a class rating you can do in the US, as long as you do it with a JAR approved school/FTO.
You can get that added to your JAR license.

The night qualification is a requirement for the CPL, the ME isn't. For instrument priviliges on your ME, you will have to do an IR checkride on the multi

-IBLB-