PDA

View Full Version : EASA C of A

muffin
19th May 2005, 14:33
I am in process of buying an aircraft that has one of the new EASA Standard C of As (whatever that is). Does anybody know what the rules are for pilot maintenance under the this? Specifically are you allowed to do things like your own oil changes etc like the old private cat or is it equivalent to the old Public C of A?

Genghis the Engineer
19th May 2005, 14:35
Basically the same, the big difference is the need for an annual CMR (Certificate of Maintenance Release) by JAR-145 company, which replaces the old annual/star-annual system.

G

BillieBob
19th May 2005, 23:25
CMR (Certificate of Maintenance Release) Certificate of Maintenance Review, surely!

ACX
21st May 2005, 14:59
The EASA CofA only signifies the certification basis of the aircraft. For most light aircraft this is normal and/or utility. It does not state what an aircraft can be used for. If you want to fly aerial or public transport you comply with the additional requirements of the ANO, i.e. first aid kit, etc. I understand that there should be a new ANO out later this summer which will make these additional requirements easier to find.

At this time if you are operating the aircraft privately you continue as before. Although you have an EASA CofA, the other EASA maintenance requirements are not being implemented by the CAA until the last dates in 2007/2008.

The EASA list of allowed pilot maintenance is a lot larger than the current CAA list. Unfortunately, the EASA requirements state that you must be competent to do the job! This could be interesting to prove to the CAA!

There is no requirement for a CMR just because you have an EASA CofA.

muffin
21st May 2005, 18:51
Thanks very much for that. Do you have a link to the CAA site or anywhere else where all this is spelled out?

ACX
22nd May 2005, 09:10
Now that’s the difficult bit. It is all over the place.

The rules for certification and maintenance come from EASA ( www.easa.eu.int ) now and not the CAA. The CAA is responsible for implementing them. They can be very long and complicated to read and in some cases misinterpreted if not careful.

The CAA has published some information on their web site under SRG, then EASA and on the various departments’ links, i.e. Applications & Certification for CofF issue, etc. The CAA is publishing most of the information relevant to maintenance and certification through Airworthiness Notices, CAP455 available on the website.

The aviation magazines are also publishing a lot of information.

Basically the EASA certification rules are already in place and the CofA is one of these. The CAA has deferred the maintenance parts (EASA PART M) to the last date possible, under the rules, September 2008 for non commercial air transport operations (i.e. non AOC).

So basically, for now, your private aircraft is still maintained to LAMS exactly as it was before except that you have a CofA that has EASA at the top instead of CAA. Pilot maintenance still stands; Notice 35 still stands, etc. The only real change is that in June “A” conditions goes and if you need to ferry your aircraft for maintenance you need an EASA Permit to Fly issued from the CAA. So make sure you plan your maintenance in advance!

muffin
22nd May 2005, 16:06
Thanks ACX, that answers my question. Specifically, I wanted to know if I could do the 50 hour oil change myself under the new rules but the answer appears to be no at present. I did ask the maint organisation who that they thought that was the case, but they do have a vested interest!

helicopter-redeye
22nd May 2005, 16:49
I'd heard (can't remember where) that the 25hr oil change was now a workshop job.

Low cost but as inconvenient as a head check on a Gazelle.

Get the 50hr full flow oil filter kit fitted. Reduces a major coordination headache ...

h-r

muffin
22nd May 2005, 19:38
Full flow filter already fitted HR. This means you don't need the 25 hr change but you do need the 50 one.

With luck and fair winds it arrives Tuesday!

IO540
23rd May 2005, 19:37
I wonder what the CAA is going to do as EASA takes over not just cert work but also crew licensing... given their tendency to hang onto every job going?

helicopter-redeye
24th May 2005, 15:50
It's Tuesday. Has it arrived ?