PDA

View Full Version : Standard Instrument Departures

The Great Unwashed
18th May 2005, 14:24
Been meaning to ask this for ages. Who exactly devises SIDS in the UK ? Is it a job done by ATC bods at the airport in question, is it done by folk at the relevant ATC En-route centre, is it done by SRG staff or a combination of all three ??

This question has been on the tip of my tongue for ten years since LBA introduced SIDS. I've just never got round to asking someone in the know. There have been one or two alterations in the LBA SIDS since then, viz. Upton going and Lamix and Dopek coming and Nelsa and Fiwud going from 1 to 2. Presumably these changes are implemented by the same people. Answers anyone ?

Thankyou in anticipation. :ok: :ok:

TGU

Spitoon
18th May 2005, 18:12
Don't know about the LBA situation specifically but I believe SIDs, STARs and other instrument flight procedures are currently designed by the CAA's Directorate of Airspace Policy. No doubt the designs are developed in conjunction with the airport users and ATC.

Things may be changing though. There's consultation going on at the moment on a plan to transfer responsibility for designing approach procedures to the airport (or consultants) and the CAA will just approve the design. And on the topic of consultation, the CAA consults on proposed changes to airspace (which are done by the same Department of the CAA) but I don't know whether SIDs and the like get the same airing before they are implemented.

The SID naming convention is quite straightforward (in ICAO PANS-ATM or PANS-OPS as I recall) and the numbers are incremented when the procedure is amended for any reason.

Bern Oulli
19th May 2005, 16:26
Spitoon is correct. Not only that but the Directorate was extremely helpful when the present Approach radar Course was being designed, so I can honestly say that the SIDs and STARs at EGHW are absolutely kosher.

Pole Hill
19th May 2005, 16:33
All,
The SID naming convention is quite straightforward (in ICAO PANS-ATM or PANS-OPS as I recall) and the numbers are incremented when the procedure is amended for any reason.
Does anyone roughly know how the naming convention works, or have a copy, just out of interest.
Thanks,
POL

pushapproved
19th May 2005, 20:43
The SIDs are normally named from the point that they terminate.

Example:

SAM 3P from 08R at Gatwick. SID terminates at SAM is currently on revision 3, (changed from a 2 last year due to a change in turning point) and the P is the designator for a 08R SID.

Likewise all 26L SIDs end in an M

You can work the LAM 4M out for yourselves!

Jerricho
20th May 2005, 02:36
You can work the LAM 4M out for yourselves

Just like a STAR into a certain little airport should be renamed LAM 4 HOLD :E

Pole Hill
20th May 2005, 12:41
Thanks pushapproved.:ok: