PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Roll

Volume
17th May 2005, 07:10
Searching older posts for ´Dutch Roll´ provides a lot of information, but I still have one question left :

Where does the name ´Dutch Roll´ come from ?
Does it relate to dutch aircraft (Fokker ?) where dutch rolls were fist observed?

cavortingcheetah
17th May 2005, 07:48
;) ?Historical slang?

To do a Dutch = to run away.

Therfore: Runaway Roll?
A fair description.;)

Old Smokey
17th May 2005, 10:38
Perhaps it's aviation mythology, and perhaps it's true......

Legend has it that one of the Boeing engineers working on the development of the B47 noticed that the swivelling the the Dutch girls bottoms whilst ice skating was very similar to the new stability problem on the B47.

Maybe it's mythology, but a nice story anyhow.

Old Smokey

SilentHandover
17th May 2005, 12:14
I was told that Dutch Roll was so named after the rolling stumbling amble of drunken Dutch sailors, of course that could just have been the way Dr Berstein described it to students to help them remember.

Old Smokey
18th May 2005, 10:23
Somehow I find the mental picture of swivelling Dutch girl's bottoms far more appealing than that of drunken Dutch sailors.

Just my point of view of corse.

Regards,

Old Smokey

Laikim Liklik Susu
18th May 2005, 10:47
Old Smokey is as close as anyone is going to get here.

The oracle speaketh thus:
DUTCH ROLL
The earliest known skating technique, the Roll involves leaning from side to side on alternating feet using the inside edges of the skate. It is a natural movement used in all skating.

The oracle being Google, of course!

The origins of the term Dutch Roll in aviation does indeed come about from an aerodynamicist working at Boeing on the B47.

The phenomena had been identified as early as 1941 as far as I can ascertain through investigation but was mearly lumped into lateral instability problems.

DOVES
21st May 2005, 09:25
Old Smokey wrote
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legend has it that one of the Boeing engineers working on the development of the B47... very similar to the new stability problem on the B47.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Laikim Liklik Susu:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Smokey is as close as anyone is going to get here.
DUTCH ROLL
The oracle being Google, of course!

The origins of the term Dutch Roll in aviation does indeed come about from an aerodynamicist working at Boeing on the B47.

The phenomena had been identified as early as 1941 as far as I can ascertain through investigation but was mearly lumped into lateral instability problems....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I humbly remind you that the DUTCH ROLL was already known in the DC-8, well before the B74 came into production, where a YAW DAMPER was already mounted.
I rember that during one of those many transition flights (zero flight time sims were in the dream of the bean counters) there was a trial of that system, consisting in the full deflection of the rudder, its sudden release, and the subsequent recovery, which took only a couple of cycles; and many more with pilot intervention

BOAC
21st May 2005, 10:11
Doves - they said B47

RTFQ:confused:

TheOddOne
21st May 2005, 10:13
Er, Doves,

The Boeing B47 was the worlds first swept wing bomber, making its first flight on December 17th, 1947

A bit before the DC-8!!!

Cheers,
The Odd One

DOVES
21st May 2005, 14:04
I'm very sorry.
It's my fault!

Old Smokey
22nd May 2005, 10:11
No DOVES, it's my fault, not yours. Bringing swivelling Dutch girl's bottoms into the conversation was very distracting.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa,

Old Smokey

DOVES
23rd May 2005, 20:38
Old Smokey
As a matter of fact I was distracted by the sound of wooden shoes, the colour of tulips, and the fragrance of springtime, that's the reason why I took a glow-worm for a lantern.
Respect
DOVE

wondering
25th May 2005, 18:21
I remember someone mentioning that the term dutch roll is derived from Dutch sailing ships during the times of the East India Company. Apparently, they showed as similar behaviour on water as do aircraft in the air.

Yeh, I know you guys like the Dutch girl´s bottoms version better. Anyhow, just what I heard.