PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding spins from base to finals

G_STRING
16th May 2005, 11:39
After reading the 'instructors who refuse to spin' thread on the instructors forums:

What is the best way to ensure that you DON'T inadvertently spin the aircraft on turn from base to finals?

Understand about not lifing nose, or letting airspeed bleed off with flaps extended, but is there a way to really ensure that you don't enter one? (This has always been a thorn in my side)

Also, should you be unfortunate enough to spin at this point, is there ANYTHING at all you can do, being so close to the ground?

<apologies if this is in the wrong forum>

2Donkeys
16th May 2005, 11:56
Airspeed and Bank Angle. Choose the right numbers for your aeroplane and Bob's your uncle.

If you enter a genuine spin at or below 1000 AGL, you can forget any real hope of recovery.

Established Localiser
16th May 2005, 12:01
As they drum into you during the PPL

" Airspeed Airspeed Airspeed"

Nail your airspeed and bank angle & you should always be ok.

If you have concerns or worries grab an instructor and bash the circuit you can't beat it for making you confident & competent.

EL

Blinkz
16th May 2005, 12:14
As has already said the key is airspeed. To spin you have to stall and to stall you have to have a high AoA. Just keep an eye on your airspeed, make sure its what it needs to be. Also try and avoid uses of extra rudder when near the ground. Its all common sense really.

As for what to do if you spin, well the first thing I would do is try and recover. Its the only thing you can do. Depending on height and a/c you might be lucky, you might not. Altho I don't advise testing this at low level lol.

djpil
16th May 2005, 12:52
FCI's article on the subject (http://www.fcitraining.com/article11_fci_training_dec03.htm) and another by FCI. (http://www.fcitraining.com/article5_fci_training_feb03.htm)
Rich Stowell has something to say about this too (http://www.fcitraining.com/article12_fci_training_jan04.htm#survey) but you really need Rich Stowell's video Stall/Spin Awareness to really get the point. (http://www.richstowell.com/shop.htm)

stiknruda
16th May 2005, 12:56
The aircraft CAN NOT spin if it is flown in a balanced turn. So fly accurately - ball in the middle. If it is too slow, it could stall but if it is being flown in a co-ordinated (rudder/aileron) fashion it will not spin.

At a thousand feet, unless you were in very current practice, you'd probably buy the farm.

Stik

Sensible
16th May 2005, 12:59
G_String, firstly, if you fly at the airspeeds in the pilot operating manual and fly a co-ordinated turn which is essentially keeping the ball in the middle then you won't stall.

The best bet for you is to find an instructor who is happy to take you into a full stall rather than incipient stall and to let you see how much abuse you need to give a spam can to make it stall and what warnings there are.

FlyingForFun
16th May 2005, 14:00
Look out the front window!!!

Of course staying keeping the airspeed right and keeping in balance is the key to not spinning. But that's true of any stage of flight.

So what is it that makes the spin more likely to happen at this stage, apart from maybe being a little slower than during the cruise?

It's pilots who are trying to look at the runway during the turn - and therefore not watching the attitude. You will not notice that your speed is wrong nor that you are out of balance if your eyes are not on the horizon!

The issue is that you, naturually, want to see where you are turning towards. But in turning your head to look at the runway, you are looking away from the horizon, and therefore not aware of any changes in attitude or airspeed.

The problem is worse, IMHO, in a high-wing aircraft, because the view of the runway is obscured in the turn, meaning that you probably have to shift around in your seat to see the runway - and this will naturally involve you involuntarilly moving the controls.

Incidentally, I see my students loosing airspeed (in the high-wing Cessnas that I teach in) far more on the downwind-base turn than on the base-final turn. The reason, 99% of the time, is that they are trying to look at the runway to work out when to roll out of the turn. When turning final, the runway is at least ahead of you at the end of the turn, so you don't have to strain to see it. But when turning onto base in a high-wing aircraft you must have some other method of working out when to roll out of the turn. The answer? Before you roll into the turn, pick a feature just in front of the left (or right, for a right-hand circuit) wing. Then start the turn, keep looking ahead, and stop the turn when your pre-selected feature appears in the windscreen. As you roll out of the turn, you can then look at the runway and make adjustments. This will enable you to be aware of your attitude, and therefore your airspeed, right the way through the turn.

To answer the second part of the question, if you ignore all the advice here and get it wrong..... I don't believe there is any way of recovering from a spin at that level in most aircraft before hitting the ground. But the training you get in spin recognition and avoidance as part of your PPL should train you to lower the nose, apply full power, level the wings and climb away well before the situation develops into a full spin. That is precisely why, for the PPL skills test, you are required to recover from this situation at the first sign of the stall, namely either the light buffet or the stall warner, whichever occurs first.

FFF
-------------

atsa2ltcc
16th May 2005, 14:10
If you dont load the wing you wont stall and spin. You can bank as hard as you like providing you have a hefty decent going at the same time (and little back presure on the elevator)

stiknruda
16th May 2005, 14:44
atsa2

I can pull a descending 3G turn in my beastie, mishandle the rudder and she will flick out of the turn (up) or will flick into it (down).

Stik

shortstripper
16th May 2005, 15:25
What you say is of course true Stik, but I think I know what atsa2ltcc is trying to say .... as I'm sure you do (are you playing Devils advocate?)

Most stall and spin accidents at this point are caused by an overshoot of the centre line. A student worried about banking too hard is more inclined to unconciously skid the aeroplane around the turn by adding more rudder. Even with a reasonable airspeed it's quite possible to cause a spin this way. Whilst a high bank angle is normally discouraged near the ground due to the increased stall speed, it's much safer than skidding, and if you have a reasonable amount of speed and don't pull too hard you will be fine. Actually, I hate the use of the term "airspeed" because it is a pretty misleading figure and so heavily influenced by other factors. AoA is much better and it's a shame that a decent AoA indicator has not been developed for light aircraft.

SS

Croqueteer
16th May 2005, 15:38
I've said this before, try to be aware of the stick position. If you are getting towards the back stop, you are just about to stall, regardless of airspeed.

italianjon
16th May 2005, 15:44
I do not have my PPL so ignore me if this makes no sense! - I am trying to finish and get the first milestone!

When I did my Flying Scholarship, I was always taught once you have commited to the "death turn" never increase the bank angle. If you are going to over shoot the runway hold the turn a little longer to turn you back on an intercept heading and re-establish the centreline. If not or you have doubt - Go Around.

It was always said to me that you are going to probably be losing airspeed in the turn, and although you'll be fine at a normal bank angle if you increase it you could increase the stall speed above your current speed. so it's best to keep the stall speed where it is, and if you get buffet reduce the bank angle - and Go Around!

It is a while ago I did this so memories are old... but that's what I remember.

atsa2ltcc
16th May 2005, 15:48
stiknruda..

Read my full post! "With little elevator back pressure". I would be impressed if you could do a 3g decending turn without elevator pressure!

2Donkeys
16th May 2005, 16:00
... and so another well-intended thread spirals into a high-G manoeuvre :D

I think you've had the answer G_STRING, packaged in several ways. Watch the bank angle and the airspeed and all will be well. Don't forget that a higher airspeed is required to avoid a stall when the bank-angle is increased. That is what catches lots of people out.

Talk of Angle-of-Attack and loading the wings is much more "right-on Piloty" and in keeping with "grass roots flying", but not very helpful to a low-hours pilot IMHO.

2D

MLS-12D
16th May 2005, 16:10
I am slightly concerned that the suggestions for an hour or two of dual with an instructor could be misinterpreted as being sufficient to eliminate the prospect of a classic spin-during-turn-to-final accident.

The fact is that many properly trained, high-time, experienced pilots have been killed in this sort of accident; it is something that we all have to be constantly aware of. You can be the best pilot in the world, but if you are momentarily distracted by something, or fatigued at the end of a long flight, a low-level spin can still bite you.

One of the best discussions of this topic is Leighton Collins' artilce "The Dangers of the Air", which is found near the end of Langewische's classic Stick and Rudder.

AoA is much better and it's a shame that a decent AoA indicator has not been developed for light aircraftThere are various AoA systemes available for light aircraft (see e.g. here (http://skywagon.freehosting.net/angle.html), here (http://www.liftreserve.com/) and here (http://www.affordablepanels.com/aoa.htm), and there are others); but I have never flown an aircraft equipped with one, and I don't know how well they work.

FlyingForFun
16th May 2005, 16:31
I am slightly concerned that the suggestions for an hour or two of dual with an instructor could be misinterpreted as being sufficient to eliminate the prospect of a classic spin-during-turn-to-final accident.True, MLS. But an hour or two with an instructor would surely be sufficient for understanding the problem, even if it won't eliminate it?

FFF
---------------

MLS-12D
16th May 2005, 16:36
Well yes, I suppose so; although come to that, reading about the problem in a book or magazine article would be an even cheaper method of understanding.

I am in no way against dual instruction, which is usually the most effective way to sharpen up one's flying. My point is simply that even a great instructor can only provide limited protection against this potential accident ... constant wariness is really the only reliable safeguard.

stiknruda
16th May 2005, 17:03
Atsa/ss

contrary to how you read my post, I wasn't disagreeing with Atsa - what I was trying to reinforce was that turns need to be co-ordinated.

It was because of the relatively low experience level that some on this forum have that I keep banging on about coordination.

It doesn't matter how fast you are going, if you pull to wings critical (AoA) and then apply too much rudder or too little rudder you will flick/snap and that could just be your entry into your first and last fully developed spin.

Alternatively, if you are going too slowly, the same scenario reoccurs - but only if you mishandle the rudder.

MLS12 - many aircraft have a perfectly good AoA indicator - it is called the stick! The aeroplane will stall with the stick in same position across the range of airspeed!

What I mean, before I get shot down, is that in my aeroplane, with the power at idle and the aircraft decellerating through 60mph with the stick coming back to hold the nose up, the stall break will come at the same stick position as it will if I am accelerating through 120mph, with full power on and pull the stick back.

So once your muscle memory maps arm position to stall - you have your very own built in AoA indicator.

Stik

Miserlou
16th May 2005, 17:54
An hour or two with an instructor who doesn't have a lot of stall/spin/aerobatic time is unlikely to help much.

STIK,
Quite unusual for most aircraft not to spin one way or the other without dancing on the rudders. If you've time to dance on the rudder you've got time to release the back pressure on the stick which is the actual cause of the circumstances you find yourself in.

I believe the key for the final turn is bank angle. Way back when I started gliding I had it knocked into me 'well banked final turn', 'MINIMUM 30 degrees'. This came back to me during commercial training, all turns in the circuit EXACTLY 30 degrees.

So what is the point?
Well, in a glider there is a lot of wingspan which, if you try to cheat, helping get the last bit of turn with a touch of rudder or just fly inaccurately, creates a considerable difference in airspeed over the respective surfaces. If you're already to slow this may be the final nail in your coffin. If you fly too slowly through a steeper turn you get a high rate of descent and the nose drops but all you have to do is level the wings and you're flying again. One way you die, the other you live.

In the commercial training the point was to improve your judgement so that you only made the exact required turn instead of 45 at 30 degrees, 30 at 20 and the final part of the turn at 5 or 10 degrees.

My gliding and training remain fresh in my mind; when I do a visual approach, coming in on base or from 45 degree base, I still wait until what I reckon to be the right moment to make the 30 degree banked turn instead of waffling onto the final course.

MLS-12D
16th May 2005, 18:58
Way back when I started gliding I had it knocked into me 'well banked final turn', 'MINIMUM 30 degrees'.Me too (45 degrees was the standard emphasized during my instructors' course).

shortstripper
16th May 2005, 19:25
Of course the simple answer was given very early on. Watch attitude, moniter airspeed, stay co-ordinated and all will be well. There ends the thread!

But no! ... the great thing about these forums is the further debate, and the lessons you can learn from them. It's all very well to then pipe up, complain and say that we're all just going to confuse the poor student, but what does that achieve? We could start a new thread, but then the momentum is lost. Nope, I like the way these things blossom. Hopefully even a student pilot will soon get the basic answer to his/her question, but will often learn more by lstening to the debate of those with more experience.

I'm not sure if this Talk of Angle-of-Attack and loading the wings is much more "right-on Piloty" and in keeping with "grass roots flying", but not very helpful to a low-hours pilot IMHO. was aimed at my post, but I kind of think it was. If it was, it missed the point. I like Miserlou, started off flying gliders. The over ruddered turn onto finals was a known killer, and therefore well banked (but co-ordinated) turns were drummed into us. Whilst gliders are very different beasts to most light aircraft the principals are the same. When scratching for lift in very tight turns and nibbling the stall buffet, you do learn a lot about the effect of bank and g on stalling. Again, I realise gliders are much more benign than most light aircraft, but again ... the principals are the same!

Bank angle does increase stall speed, higher G does increase stall speed ... but niether cause spins in any greater way than any other stall. If co-ordinated a quick nudge forward will (usually) get the wing biting again. Some aeroplane flik ... but usually there has to be some rudder influence to cause this.

The above may sound Gung Ho .. but that is not the intention. I simply believe .... no, I KNOW, that a skidding turn onto finals is far far more likely to result in a spin than a well banked co-ordinated turn.

Obviously it's far better to judge it all correctly to make sure you roll out nicely on the centre line from a gentle well judged turn, or go around if the picture looks wrong. But in the real world we tend to try and correct our mistakes even if it's not always the wisest thing to do. But if you are to try and correct an over cooked final turn ... use a well banked turn ... not an over ruddered one :uhoh: !

SS

MLS-12D
16th May 2005, 19:42
When scratching for lift in very tight turns and nibbling the stall buffet, you do learn a lot about the effect of bank and g on stalling.I agree.

gliders are much more benign than most light aircraftNot necessarily. E.g., an SZD-50-3 Puchacz, or an IS-29D2 Lark, is considerably less docile than a 'stable Mabel' airplane like the Cessna 150 or a PA28.

a skidding turn onto finals is far far more likely to result in a spin than a well banked co-ordinated turn.I agree.

RatherBeFlying
16th May 2005, 20:06
Turning downwind to base I take off power while banking to 45 degrees and pull back on the stick to bleed off airspeed to 1.3 - 1.4 VS while staying level.

Then add flap once below the speed to put them out -- newer pilots may want to be wings level before adding to the workload.

Trim on base once flaps down if not before.

Turning base to final -- 45 degrees is good.

If you're undershooting the turn you can take off some bank, but lets not be adding bank past 45.

Turning final, you do not want to be bleeding off airspeed as there's not much to give away; so, it's a descending turn with much less back pressure than turning base.

45 degrees gets the turn done efficiently and gives any X-wind towards the runway less time to blow you past final -- a wider downwind may help in these conditions -- no point making it harder for yourself when it's like that.

Shallow turns lead to the temptation to help it around with rudder and get yourself in a spin.

mstram
16th May 2005, 20:13
>What is the best way to ensure that you DON'T inadvertently spin the aircraft on turn from base to finals?

Practice simulated base-final turns at altitude until you learn the feel and what the attitude of the plane looks like at various bank angles / speeds etc. Go with an instructor at first if you're unsure.

Flying by "numbers" is all well and good, but you should be able to fly *without* the aid of the AS indicator (VFR of course), just by using the attitude and feel of the plane.

What plane do you fly? Some, like a 172 are very reluctant, almost impossible to spin, even when you *want* them to :)

Mike

S-Works
16th May 2005, 20:15
Join long final................

:p

homeguard
16th May 2005, 20:28
As well it might be but for good reason. Low houred PPL's are quite capable of understanding the issue here and the importance of angle of attack must be continously emphasized! Such as when increasing the angle of bank also lower the nose. Staring only at the ASI is not the answer to preventing a stall.

The aircraft cannot be spinning when no Yaw is present therefore as some have already stated FLY in BALANCE, ball in the middle!

2Donkeys
16th May 2005, 20:31
As I suspect you know, my comments were not aimed at the advice "fly with the ball in the middle". I was questioning the value of going down the route of wing loading and similar...

2D

Dusty_B
16th May 2005, 20:33
1/(cos45) = 1.41

So, umm, if you fly base at 1.3Vs and then turn finals at 45 AoB... You're cutting it a bit fine - flaps down or not.

justinmg
16th May 2005, 21:26
a skidding turn onto finals is far far more likely to result in a spin than a well banked co-ordinated turn.

I may have got this wrong, but I thought there was more risk from over-ruddering (slipping) then using aileron (cross controlling) as a (flawed)method in correcting the initial error. A skidding turn in comparatively safer.

Of course no-one should argue that a properly balanced turn is the safest.

stiknruda
16th May 2005, 21:37
Miserlou wrote:

STIK,
Quite unusual for most aircraft not to spin one way or the other without dancing on the rudders. If you've time to dance on the rudder you've got time to release the back pressure on the stick which is the actual cause of the circumstances you find yourself in.

Whilst I don't for one second disagree with you, I refer you to my earlier and often reiterated comment; if the aeroplane is flown in a balanced turn it will not spin!

I spin my aeroplane virtually every week, errect multiple rotations, errect accelerated, errect flattened, errect flattened with power, inverted, inverted flattened. Some crazy rides!

Whilst I think that it is an unnecessary burden to stipulate that the PPL fraternity must have spin training, I do believe that it is of serious value.

Several hundred hours ago, I thought I could fly - until I went flying with a chap who made the aeroplane dance and cavort through the sky, we went up and down, round and around and although the aeroplane stall speed was placarded at 63mph, the needle was often sub 40 and yet the aerolane was flying happily.

When we landed I asked a few pertinent questions and then reality dawned - I had a few hundred hours on singles and twins but I couldn't actually fly. All I could do was operate the airframe to a prescribed set of numbers and "drive" it from A to B.

I've spent the last ten years trying to "learn how to fly".

Any info I post on here is just me trying to help others understand the fundamentals.

Stik

Miserlou
16th May 2005, 22:21
I know exactly where you're coming from. I learned to fly gliders first until I could get a power licence so I could fly aeros. Twas before gliders became properly aerobatic.

The problem is that if one is, how should one put it, negligent enough to let the speed fall to such an extent that a stall is iminent, how can one be expected to keep the ball in the middle?
Typically, while holding the aircraft in a full stall, one or the other wing wil drop and be caught on the rudder; one cannot consider this as a stable flight condition.

Also, if you are using the standard Pitts approach technique, I'd like to ask how this is relevant. You may make a perfectly balanced final turn, but then push in the crossed controls to keep the runway in sight.
Of course it's the stick position that's going to kill you.

Brendan showed me some flat turns a few years ago. Picture this. Halfway down the downwind and he simulates an engine failure. Rolls into a steep dive towards the runway, becoming level and parallel to the runway at about 5-10 feet. Then bootful one way, bootful t'other way and flare onto the runway. No messy (and dangerous) low level turns (as long as you've got the speed).

Another lesson learnt!

Irish Steve
16th May 2005, 23:00
Long before getting to the base to final turn, make sure the trim is set to the right setting so that the elevator is at neutral load before going in to the turns. Is it flying hands off downwind? If it is, OK, if not, sort it. If the trim is wrong, then that's one more thing that can cause problems, as the loading can end up feeling all wrong. If it's right, then if you let go as such, it's going to come back to something close to where it should be, which may be the difference between comfort and strife.

don't mess with flaps in the turn, get them sorted out wings level, and trim again. That way, you've reduced your work load.

Flying close to the ground is inherently more dangerous than flying at comfortable heights, so the concentration levels have to be higher. If you've passengers on board, shortly before entering the circiuit, politely suggest something like "it's about to get busy now, please don't talk to me unless I say something to you, I need to make sure I don't miss anything from ATC. Thanks." You might need to vary that a little if everyone is on headsets, but I'm sure you get the picture. Then, don't talk to the passengers unless it's something to do with their safety or similar, and concentrate on making sure that it all happens the way it's supposed to.

FREDAcheck
16th May 2005, 23:12
I may have got this wrong, but I thought there was more risk from over-ruddering (slipping) then using aileron (cross controlling) as a (flawed)method in correcting the initial error. A skidding turn in comparatively safer.

I think I agreed with you, but not with the terminology. "Over-ruddering" (bottom rudder) is, I think, a skid not a slip. Think if it this way: use top rudder for a slip (ie crossed controls: stick one way, rudder the other). This is safe(r) in a turn to base. The danger comes from a skidding turn. At low height, there can be a psychological tendency to avoid bank, and use rudder not aileron.

Co-ordinated turn: good.
Excess top rudder (slip): OK if you are doing it (side slip) intentionally to lose height, and watching airspeed and attitude.
Excess bottom rudder (skid): bad.

RatherBeFlying
17th May 2005, 02:51
Dusty_B, Yes the load factor can go up to 1.41 which raises the stall speed approx. 19%.

And GA typically flys the approach around 85% of gross which lowers the stall speed 8% yielding a 9% increase in typical GA SE a/c.

stall speed varies with: root(LF) x root(weight/gross)

You can load up the back seats with fellow pilots and go up to 5000 AGL and see just how much biceps is required to stall out of a coordinated descending turn to final.

Yes, it is much easier to stall out at rearward CGs, but will still take considerable muscle in your average standard airworthiness certified spamcan and is much harder with just one or two up front.

shortstripper
17th May 2005, 03:35

I think you're getting yourself muddled here? You could say any out of balance flying is cross controlled. However, a slipping turn is actually a very safe manouver even though you are cross controlled and "over ruddering", whereas a skidding turn (also over ruddering) is dangerous and a true recipy for a spin! What I was trying to illustrate was that by being afraid to bank, you are far more likely to try to turn (perhaps subconciously ... perhaps not!) by adding into-turn rudder and skidding. This is effectively adding yaw in the wrong direction, slowing the already slower inside wing and inviting it to stall first causing rotation and a spin. This may not be the most aerodynamically accurate description of what I'm trying to show, but I hope it gives you the idea. Do not do skidding turns at low level , slipping turns are quite different, but that's been covered loads of times before. Having said the above, I was not suggesting out of balance turns at any point anyway ... what I said was co-ordinated but well banked.

SS

Edited in later ...

FREDAcheck

Sorry, I see you pretty well answered my point to Justinmg in your following post. I really must read subsequent posts before jumping in both feet first :\\

SS

Flyin'Dutch'
17th May 2005, 07:00
After reading the 'instructors who refuse to spin' thread on the instructors forums:

What is the best way to ensure that you DON'T inadvertently spin the aircraft on turn from base to finals?

Also, should you be unfortunate enough to spin at this point, is there ANYTHING at all you can do, being so close to the ground?

1. Get rid of that instructor for reasons given under 3.

2. a. Fly at correct airspeed, the point Stik makes about the stick position is very true; where I come from the stall is called the 'over-pull'

2.b. Coordinated turns. Forget about top/bottom rudder; skidding slipping just keep that ball in the middle

3. Find yourself a good instructor that can show you the edge of the envelope.

a. Those that have hang-ups about stall/spins are unlikely to be able to give you the appropriate experience.

b. If you have never spun you may not appreciate the potential hazards of them at low altitudes.

Have fun.

G_STRING
17th May 2005, 09:41
Thanks for all the replies -- brilliant. Didn't think there would be so many. Have read them all with interest, and hopefully have taken all comments on board.

Whilst on the subject of slipping turns: I fly a cessna 172, and if high on finals for any reason, often use crossed controls to lose excess height. (Please note that I don't do this in the turn onto finals, but when the wings are level).

I find this effective, but again, is there any danger of spinning?

Also, some say you shouldn't slip a cessna -- others say you shouldn't slip a cessna with any degree of flap on, (which is what I've always been led to believe).

Sorry to sort of hijack my own thread, but do all you guys/girls of much more experience than myself out there have any input on this as well?

Thanks for a very interesting thread so far

G_STRING

vancouv
17th May 2005, 09:45
It's always interesting reading these discussions and getting various views. I think a lot of the information given to students is based around the most appropriate way of learning, without overloading them.

Its all very well reading of detailed AoA and banking figures when you have hundreds of hours experience, but when learning, something fairly simple is, in my opinion, easier to take in.

When I was learning, the main things I was told at the beginning were:

1) Put flaps down when level - this makes it easier to judge any pitch changes, and if you do have a problem with them going down asynchronously it's easier to recognise and sort out.

2) Watch your airspeed and attitude.

3) Bank at 20-25 degrees, maximum of 30 when turning onto base and final.

4) Keep balanced.

5) If you go through the centreline, keep going and turn back - don't overbank - if it's looking too bad go-around.

If you keep the airspeed at the right amount, and don't bank more than a certain amount while properly balanced, then you won't have a problem with stalling. Once you're lucky enough to have lots of experience then you can start to push the envelope a bit more.

Although I've read many things about the fact that the stalling airspeed changes in various conditions, and I understand what that's about, knowing that for 30 degrees of bank an airspeed of X will keep you away from the stall is useful when setting out.

As an aside, is there a condition of flight that will allow the plane to stall without the stall warner going off? For example, a skidding turn so that the airflow over the stall warner is disrupted?

shortstripper
17th May 2005, 10:38
As an aside, is there a condition of flight that will allow the plane to stall without the stall warner going off? For example, a skidding turn so that the airflow over the stall warner is disrupted?

That's a very interesting question, and one I hadn't thought about before. Most of the aeroplanes/gliders I have flown do not have stall warners anyway, but ....

I would hazard a guess and say that in a skidding turn where the stall warner equipped wing (there's usually only one) is on the outside of the turn, it would be quite possible that the inside wing could stall before the warner (on the outside wing) reaches it's trigger AoA.

Whilst on the subject of slipping turns: I fly a cessna 172, and if high on finals for any reason, often use crossed controls to lose excess height. (Please note that I don't do this in the turn onto finals, but when the wings are level). I find this effective, but again, is there any danger of spinning?

There's always a danger, but it is actually not "that" easy to spin from a slipping turn as the yaw is away from the spin. That said don't try to check this out low down :\

SS

FlyingForFun
17th May 2005, 10:44
G-STRING,

For slipping in Cessnas, the only advice is to read the relevant POH. The POH for some Cessnas - I believe it's only the later C172s, but don't quote me on that - advise against slipping with full flap. There is no such warning in the manuals for any of the aircraft I fly, and I regularly slip them without any problem.

As for the danger of spinning, if you keep the AoA below the critical angle, no there is no danger. Select a slightly lower nose attitude than you would if you weren't slipping. As a rough guide, keep the airspeed similar to what it would be for a normal approach, but bear in mind that the ASI may have errors during a slip, depending on the position of the pitot/static sensors.

FFF
---------------

High Wing Drifter
17th May 2005, 10:45
I imagine that it would not make much different as the stall is related to the lowering of the stagnation point and that is what pushes the switch up. If the stagnation point is 'high' then by definition, the wing has a low AoA. That's the way I see it. Most likely somebody will point out something not considered.
it would be quite possible that the inside wing could stall before the warner (on the outside wing) reaches it's trigger AoA.
As far as I am aware, most light a/c are designed to stall at the root first. A tip stall can be induced with a power on stall.

dmjw01
17th May 2005, 12:04
The POH for some Cessnas - I believe it's only the later C172s, but don't quote me on that - advise against slipping with full flap.
I fly a 1959 C172, and the POH does contain a prohibition on slipping with FULL flap (which is 40 degrees in this aircraft). I'm therefore perfectly happy to sideslip with up to 30 degrees of flap, and some people would say that in practice it's fine to slip with 40 degrees as well. You can bet that the prohibition on full-flap slipping already has a healthy degree of conservatism built into it, so there's no need for the oft-quoted nonsense about not slipping with ANY degree of flap.

I agree that there's no substitute for reading the POH of your particular aircraft, and heeding its advice rather than listening to rumours and old wives' tales.

MLS-12D
17th May 2005, 16:29
Whilst on the subject of slipping turns: I fly a cessna 172, and if high on finals for any reason, often use crossed controls to lose excess height. (Please note that I don't do this in the turn onto finals, but when the wings are level).
There is nothing wrong or unsafe with a slipping turn as a technique for losing altitude. I.e., if you know that you are high on the base leg, you don't have to wait until you are established on final before feeding in crossed controls.

mstram
17th May 2005, 18:48
GS,

Have you done any spins (at alt of course) in the 172 ?

If not, find an instructor who will demonstrate and teach you how to recover from one.

I fly 172's and it is actually fairly difficult to get them to spin intentionally, much less accidentlally.

>Whilst on the subject of slipping turns: I fly a cessna 172, and if high on finals for any reason, often use crossed controls to lose excess height. (Please note that I don't do this in the turn onto finals, but when the wings are level).

Were you not taught slipping turns?

>I find this effective, but again, is there any danger of spinning?

Again, the answer is to go up with an instructor and at altitude, experiment with slipping, slipping turns, even *skidding*.

The goal is to know what the plane will do under different conditons of flight, so that you can avoid being in a situation that you've never seen or experienced.

I.e. don't try someting that you've never practiced !

Mike

QDMQDMQDM
18th May 2005, 20:00
Don't forget that a higher airspeed is required to avoid a stall when the bank-angle is increased.

Not so. Stall speed goes up when G increases, not bank angle.

Anyway, this question is like asking "When driving a mountain road, how do I avoid going over the edge?"

Answer: "Don't drive over the edge."

Question: "How do I avoid a spin / stall on the final turn?"

Answer: "Don't stall or spin on the final turn."

And how do you avoid stalling or spinning? Watch the airspeed. Let's not make this too complicated.

QDM

stiknruda
18th May 2005, 22:28
QDM - good to see you back Doc!

And how do you avoid stalling or spinning? Watch the airspeed. Let's not make this too complicated

The problem being that it is not that simple! The very fact that the originator of the question was asking about the turn from base to final automatically increases the complexity.

Without going through the math, which I believe was promulgated on page one, what airspeed would you like me to watch?

The harder you pull, the higher the stall speed (some "root" square calc required!). If you learn parrot fashion that a Cub stalls at 37mph, you gash it out to 1.3x3.7 = 48 = 50.

So you know that you can safely approach at 50....... you pull too hard, are a bit slow on the rudder and whooooosh, top wing goes over, nose arcs around and suddenly one is spinning.

To reiterate - I intentionally spin virtually everytime I fly, the only ones that catch me out are the ones I don't expect..... sure recovery is almost immediate but it still makes ones heart beat just a tad faster. I aerobat down to 500' agl but avoid flicky things and stall turns below 1200'.

Some part of me thinks that you'really need to be a numb-nuts of epic proportion not to realise that the aircraft was about to stall (buffet, buffet), hell, ball is out, welcome to Spin City!

But it does happen! So maybe less reliance upon numbers and more on the "feel" would be a jolly good thing?

Stik

Sensible
19th May 2005, 07:01
What is the best way to ensure that you DON'T inadvertently spin the aircraft on turn from base to finals? How about a simple answer? keep the aircraft so that the view out of the window looks right, feels right and sounds right then it won't stall.

How about that?

shortstripper
19th May 2005, 07:34
That's way too sensible, Sensible :)

SS

Flik Roll
19th May 2005, 10:22
How about practising stalling in the finals turn and approach configuration more often so people can learn to understand what it shouldn't look like. And how about making it compulsory for everyone to do a full spin in their PPL course?

Never ever make a tigh turn on finals without airspeed. And never ever stretch finals.

QDMQDMQDM
19th May 2005, 15:28
SnR,

Thanks, nice to be back. Never really went away.

Anyway, you're the man who knows about spins, but it does still come back to the fact that if you don't fly too slowly, you won't spin. If you don't let the speed drop on your approach, you won't spin, assuming you're not pulling a load of G to get back through the centreline.

Of course, the time this becomes really hard is when the engine has quit and you're in the process of screwing up the forced landing. At that point, you have to hope that your instinct to crash with the wings level is more developed than that to pull tighter and rudder harder because you're 'almost' in.

As ever, read Stick and Rudder.

QDM (In his PA18 'Pursoot ship')

MLS-12D
19th May 2005, 19:19
if you don't fly too slowly, you won't spinNot true, in the case of accelerated stalls. As S& R suggests, and the balance of your post implies, if you suddenly pull a lot of G it's a whole new ballgame. :uhoh:

The ASI only tells part of the story ... the accelerometer can be equally important.

PA18 'Pursoot ship' :D :D :D

QDMQDMQDM
19th May 2005, 19:33
MLS-12D,

Well, yeah. I mean this is all getting silly, isn't it? Don't fly too slowly for the amount of G you're pulling. Best thing, don't pull G on the final turn.

If you don't stall, you can't spin. This is basic airmanship and requires concentration, of course, but so does driving a mountain road or taking a corner on a motorbike. Misjudge it and you die. Misjudge your speed on approach, over-rudder and you die.

You know what to do and just don't screw up, that's all there is to it. That's why we have flying training.

QDM

Flyin'Dutch'
20th May 2005, 00:23
How about a simple answer? keep the aircraft so that the view out of the window looks right

Fair few people stall and spin 'cause they try to make the picture look right and end up in a big mess!

At that point, you have to hope that your instinct to crash with the wings level is more developed than that to pull tighter and rudder harder because you're 'almost' in.

At times like that you need to fly with your nut, not your balls (instinct)

Good to see you back!

Sunfish
20th May 2005, 06:13
Airspeed and attitude thats it. No more than 20 degrees bank. I sometimes turn a little early when I can be sure I'm not cutting anyone off because we use two parallel strips about 100 yards apart and it is not wise to stray over the centreline.

As a newbie ppl, I frequently apply a little more power on my turn from Base to final just in case, and I always flick my eyes down to the ASI and the ball in the middle of the turn just to check. By adding a little power I arrest my descent while I turn and avoid the temptation to pull the nose up when I start seeing the whites of the golfers eyes.

For a Cessna 172, over here we would have 20 degrees of flap and 70-75 knots on Base at about 1500-1700 rpm. Complete the turn onto final by 500 feet no more than 20 degrees of bank, then 30 degrees flap and 65 knots, gradually bleeding back to 60 knots at the proverbial FAA 50 foot tree on threshold.

Anymore than 60 knots with a 172 (with no headwind) and you will bounce. For a PA28 the only change would be Vref 63 knots.

Hope this helps. I would welcome advice on the subject.

Look up the Whitt's flying page as well.

djpil
20th May 2005, 09:48
No more than 20 degrees bank.
Sunfish - next time I see you - I'll ask what you will do if you suddenly find you need to turn tighter than that? (eg to avoid overshooting the runway centre-line at MB where there are parallel runways and opposing circuits)

Sunfish
20th May 2005, 10:10
David, with luck I'll catch up tomorrow. Work is getting in the way of flying. I need another go at rolls and suchlike! Give the ears a workout!

I'm not comfortable doing steeper turns at low level although I demonstrated them at 500 feet on my ppl test with no probs.

BigEndBob
20th May 2005, 10:11
Normal appproaches i think there is little chance of stall spinning no matter what bank angle is used.

The danger is when you are stressed by bad weather, limited vis. low level circuit with flap down trying to make continous turn to final on high wing aircraft.
Suprising how quickly speed can bleed off with limited external reference.

This is more of a danger for the experienced pilot who has got used to flying by feel.

Students have it drilled into them to watch airspeed.

Miserlou
20th May 2005, 17:50
BigEnd,
I reckon flying by feel is the key to good piloting. The more you can fly by other senses, the less you have to look inside (at the ASI, in this case). I refer to senses because you should see, hear and feel your aircraft.

I find a Dave Clark headset creates a barrier between me and the aircraft when flying an open cockpit biplane. This is detrimental to my flying performance.

We used to have to fly a blind, in the sense of no instruments, circuit before going solo in a glider.

djpil
20th May 2005, 22:08
with luck I'll catch up tomorrow
Sssshhhhhhh - I'm off to a surprise birthday party for the person who taught me to fly and also aerobatics. 80 and still flying.