PDA

View Full Version : Anyone moved into a new control tower??

GT3
16th May 2005, 10:10
Just a few questions for anyone who has had a new tower built at their airport.

Did you have to change the seating position for each working position?

Did you have to fundamentally change working procedures, in particular with regard to co-ordination? The change being from eye contact and face to face conversation, the new "method" being not being able to look at the other person and phoning them.

Did you also have to employ a new method of representing your traffic on the same day as the move to the new tower?

Ta

Spitoon
16th May 2005, 17:10
GT3, don't worry about it. You've got an SMS that will make sure that all your concerns are addressed and that all the training you'll need will be done in good time.

Atcham Tower
16th May 2005, 20:40
<it must/will be better than what you've got>

Not necessarily! We got Frequentis ...

Gonzo
18th May 2005, 10:37
You seem anxious . A change is as good as a holiday! Look forward to it - it must /will be better than what you've got.

Never laughed so much in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

throw a dyce
19th May 2005, 19:25
At HongKong there was a new tower and a new airport.The layout wasn't good for the airport,that is the North Twr and GMC were on one side of the tower and the South Twr and GMC on the other.The tower was so big that the North runway wasn't visible from the south side and vice versa.There was a lot of opinion that if we had an old Heathrow TWR setup with the TWR controllers in the middle it would have been great.
Solutions varied from an intercom hotline between the two Twr controllers,but the best was very long headset leads.The desks were so bad that you couldn't sit at the consol and see out,without banging your knees.Also from a UK point of view they used blue strips for inbounds and buff for outbounds.That is a major data display change for me.
Sounds like your new tower is a similar one to HK's.It does work but not as well as old LL system.Also in low cloud Cat 1,your inthe cloud base,and the a/c are in the clear.Then they want the SMR for maintenance!
We also had to go through security and catch a bus airside to get to work.Got some sarkie comments passing pax in the staff channel.Also had to get all food x-rayed but that's a whole new topic in itself.Have fun in your new home:D

hold at SATAN
23rd May 2005, 09:42
hope they don't x ray my food. i'm hoping to smuggle a file inside a cake.... i will escape from alcatraz