PDA

View Full Version : New description for the Private Flying Forum

LowNSlow
14th May 2005, 11:30
As per BRL's suggestion in another thread I've started this one so that people can comment on whether

Many private pilots have an interest in commercial aviation and how they interact with it. This forum is for those pilots.

is felt to be a relevant / condescending / suitable description of the contents / users of the Private Flying Forum.

My suggestion would be something on the lines of:

Private Flying ,the Forum where pilots who fly for fun help others to have fun.

BRL has made an offer to change the description if we can come up with a better one so get your thinking caps on people. :ok:

LondonJ
14th May 2005, 11:44
spamcam drivers enter here

LowNSlow
14th May 2005, 13:40
Don't forget that the first aircraft referred to as a "spamcan" was the P-51 Mustang.

Judging by the lack of response so far most people are satisfied with the description.....

bookworm
14th May 2005, 13:50
I don't like the "fun" word. I think it undermines the importance of private GA.

Sometimes I fly for business. Sometimes I fly to go places. Sometimes I fly because I just want to fly. It's usually "fun", but then I would imagine that piloting a commerical flight is often "fun" too. But it's not just "for fun".

The thing that we have in common as private flyers is that no one else pays us to fly.

(My suggestion for better words... ah...er.. yes... er... lemme think about...er. that) ;)

J.A.F.O.
14th May 2005, 15:11
A forum for those who fly when they want to and not when they're told to.

DB6
14th May 2005, 16:42
Can't say I really care about the description. 'Private Flying' pretty much covers it really. If you must have something how about 'For those pilots who love flying enough to pay for it themselves'.

Whirlybird
14th May 2005, 18:54
I seem to remember Genghis had a rather good description in the other thread...can't remember it now, or find the thread. :(

Saab Dastard
14th May 2005, 19:57
Given that the Private Flying forum sits in a website devoted to Professional Pilots (PPRuNe), the existing description is pretty good.

Now if PPRUNE wanted to become PRUNE (dropping the Professional), that would be a very different matter!

DubTrub
14th May 2005, 23:05
The "Private Flying" forum of PPRuNe tends to be supported by private pilots. There are other forums for "Biz Jets, Ag Flying & GA" and the like which seem to fit the bill for folks in the GA world being paid for their professional services.

The term "Private" as in "Private Flying" tends to support an audience of co-respondents like me, who pay for their own private aviation activities.

Change nothing.

I do confess to a passing interest in the other forums too.

G SXTY
15th May 2005, 11:13
To be honest, I think the current name / description is pretty much spot on.

If it aint broke . . .

Genghis the Engineer
15th May 2005, 16:58
Whilst I didn't start this debate (I think that MLS-12 has that honour) I do take issue with the suggestion that we post here because of our interest in commercial aviation - which just aint true. We post here because of our interest in private flying - including the several professions that support that activity.

If nothing else, we could perhaps just delete the description - as others have noted, the title alone is pretty clear.

G

Maxflyer
15th May 2005, 18:11
How about,

"We all started here"

BRL
15th May 2005, 18:21
"Grass roots flying. We have all done it, here is where we talk about it."

Or

"Harder than the Flyer mob............." ;)

jabberwok
15th May 2005, 18:28
Pay as you go? ;)

dublinpilot
15th May 2005, 19:39
"Private Flying. The home of private, light aviation on pprune."

The two common themes on this formum, are that the flight here are private, and not open to the public, and are almost all to do the light aviation.

dp

Confabulous
15th May 2005, 20:03
It would save a lot if time and bickering to just remove the subtitle - optionally we could use something similiar to The Campfire -

'You all know what it's for.'

My 2 eurocents... :ok:
Confab

2Donkeys
15th May 2005, 21:40
Harder than the Flyer mob............."

Hmmmm..... ;)

Kolibear
16th May 2005, 07:59
"Private Flying

This is the forum for those who fly light aircraft. "

Otherwise, I think dublinpilot's contribution sums us up perfectly.

BRL
16th May 2005, 09:07
2 Donks you know I am just kidding. :)

2Donkeys
16th May 2005, 09:55
Oh.. alright then :D:D

Taildragger55
16th May 2005, 14:15
"Hazards to aviation"
"Masochists with wings"
"Indigent aviators"

Oh sorry, thought I was in Jetblast

Kolibear
17th May 2005, 11:25
I see that we have changed our description...........

LowNSlow
17th May 2005, 11:56
and what an amusing title it is! Wait for the reaction in Jetblast about the upstarts in Private Flying

BRL
17th May 2005, 12:30
At the time of writing, this is how the forums stood;

Rumours and News 111682
Jet Blast 323848
Private Flying 106732

Well done!
:ok:

ChampChump
17th May 2005, 12:51
Like it!

Please can I be in the first part of the description, oh please....??
:confused: :O :eek: :hmm: :ooh:;):rolleyes: