PDA

View Full Version : Weather forecasting in the tropics

kishna
13th May 2005, 16:40
I've been seacrching for some time for a book about weather forecasting in the tropics, but as yet haven't found anything suitable. Can anybody suggest such a book.
I'm particularly looking for something that covers the carribbean and also south east Asia.
Thanks

k

cavortingcheetah
14th May 2005, 05:14
:O

You could try:
Handbook of Aviation Meteorlogy. ISBN: 0 11 400107 3 *
Published by HM Stationery Office.
It is possibly out of print but has a good section on Climatology and Air Route Meteorolgy.
Have a look at:
www.met-office.gov.uk
This may also be of some use.:)

kishna
14th May 2005, 07:59
...thanks, but I have that one already (1994 reprint)- although it does have a useful section about the tropics, i'd like a little bit more depth.

Georgeablelovehowindia
14th May 2005, 09:22
Weather forecasting in the tropics? You just write OCNL Cb 450 everywhere ... job done!

palgia
14th May 2005, 20:42
Kishna,

I would be happy to recommend some good books if you could be a little more specific on what exactly you are looking for, and for what purpose.
Are you looking for a book on Tropical Meteorology ? (ie. Hurricanes/Typhoons/ect) Or are you looking for a book on forecasting convection/mesoscale severe weather? (thunderstorms)
Are looking for a theoretical book with lots of nasty math to describe all the processes or are you looking for more of a "rule-book" for home-made forecasting?
Are you looking for a book to increase your knowledge to qualitatively assess and understand the weather or do you want to get into the quantitative number-crunching forecasting?

In other words, are you a pilot looking for a book to better understand the weather in the tropics (being able to better interpret the official forecasts, perform some now-casting of convection) or are you a meteorologist looking for a technical books on a specific forecasting problem in a region of the world?

I apologize for sounding pedantic, but there are a LOT of books out there (most of which are NOT cheap), so before recommending one I'd want to make sure it will serve your purpose.

Cheers,

palgia