PDA

View Full Version : Some travel benefit questions

CanAV8R
13th May 2005, 13:21
Hello all.

A few questions about travel on other carriers. I am now working for a big UK charter operator and outside of our own services am curious to see how easy it is to travel on other carriers. I am not looking at within Europe etc. but more towards sched carriers to North America, South East Asia and Australia etc.

Is it worth trying to get ID90's through other carriers? I would be planning to travel during off peak times as I have no children etc.
Again not looking for the standard med type stuff. Just long haul.

Thanks

er82
13th May 2005, 13:27
If your company has a deal with other carriers, it's easy peasy to get standby tickets and travel with them.... It costs me £80 (i think) for a BA standby to the US..... Just go to a local ticket desk, get them to check seat availability.... but don't forget the carriers quite rightly give priority to their own staff who may also have standby tickets....

Notso Fantastic
13th May 2005, 15:07
You will be at the end of the standby list for other carriers. What you assume to be off peak periods for SE Asia and Aussie don't necessarily apply on those routes. Without knowing when seats are available on BA on those routes, which isn't very often, you should not travel that way standby- the potential to get stuck somewhere for a week, and then have to continue somewhere else first, is too high. Dodges for Australia- BA NRT or HKG, then QF Oz. Beware UK- SE Asia- surely one of the busiest and worst served routes in the world.

CanAV8R
14th May 2005, 18:11
Cheers for that. To be honest the routes to Canada and the US interest me the most as I am Canadian and do go home 2-3 times a year. Also see people in NY, Boston and other spots in the states. Obviously you will be behind any staff on a given carrier but if travelling off peak and seats available, I am hoping I will be able to get on. Just hope the company I work for can arrange it without any major hassles.

Thanks