PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 B757's.

EPRman
13th May 2005, 08:25
According to a friend who flies for Jet2, the company announced yesterday it has secured two 757's to operate flights to the popular holiday destinations including the Canaries. He believes they are destined for Leeds but was unsure.

Anyone have any more details?

mrhosty
13th May 2005, 08:56
yes it was anounced yesterday but no news yet on where they are coming from . . . .some say MYT and some say they have been parked up in arizona for a while!! most probably doing the LBA-TFS to start, the second one rumoured to be MAN based next spring.

ACE Dispatcher
13th May 2005, 10:17
Here. (http://img231.echo.cx/img231/2718/jet27574pz.jpg) :ok: ;)

Johnny F@rt Pants
13th May 2005, 13:25
Since when did B757's have winglets? OK some smarty pants will probably find one somewhere in the world, but I'll bet it won't get into LBA on a windy day. The Jet2 757's are going to LBA, starting in Oct for the TFS and AGP routes.

Fried_Chicken
13th May 2005, 13:48
Continental Airlines (of the US) are currently getting FAA approval to fit its B757-200s with winglets.

Makes it look like a Tu204!

Fried Chicken

Caslance
13th May 2005, 13:51
Since when did B757's have winglets?Certainly since Continental decided to start retrofitting their 757-200s with winglets (certification due this month.)

Icelandair will also be doing the same to their -200s.

MerchantVenturer
13th May 2005, 18:36
There have been endless arguments on Bristol Airport threads as to whether the CO 757s to be used on the BRS-EWR service (starts a week today) will be able to regularly fly non stop from the BRS runway.

CO and the BRS management are adamant that they will be able to do so under all conditions because the aircraft to be used will be the 757s with winglets.

LBA and BRS are pretty similar I believe in having limited runways, dodgy weather and the two highest airports in England (if not in the entire UK), so if CO are right about their wingletted 757s making EWR from BRS presumably Jet 2 757s ought to be able to make TFS from LBA, although the CO 757s only have 172 seats.

LBA
13th May 2005, 19:10
A 757 can reach TFS easy peasy from LBA.

A 767-200 of Britannia does it every week anyway!

HOODED
13th May 2005, 20:37
Yup, 757 no problem to TFS. It's the 733s that'll struggle in certain conditions ex LBA. Maybe thats why they're looking at the 757s, or maybe it's because they're filling 3 x 733s to AGP a day this summer. Wonder if it's ERs they're getting? Now LBA to Torronto and New York would be good!:}

mrhosty
14th May 2005, 09:49
i think someone has been a bit handy with an airbrush on the above photo, because it was knocking around with a 777 in jet2 colours a while ago! i think all ex air europe a/c had 'doors 3' and not the over wing hatches! anyway we shall see haha!

Daft Wader
14th May 2005, 10:37
A little bird tells me these are the beasts involved.....

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/580304/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/546210/L/

fyi N136CV was delivered to Air Holland as PHAHF and N241CV was deliverd to Air Europe as G-BNSE.

I really should get out more ...

May the farce be with you...

Daft Wader
:ok:

GW76
14th May 2005, 11:15
At least some of the ex AE machines were ER versions. AE often operated them to Florida.
An ER 757 is not required to operate UK to TFS. The old LTE 757's were non-ER versions and regularly operated GLA-TFS non stop.

Oshkosh George
14th May 2005, 12:46
N241CV was deliverd to Air Europe as G-BNSE.

It seems to be G-BNSF actually!

Neither seems to be an ER version, both built in 1988,and have been stored for a year.
I'm going to get out now!

Skyliner says they're not for delivery until October,anybody know the reason?

GW76
14th May 2005, 14:34
Doesnt the extended rear engine cowling suggest that they are indeed ER versions ?

"Skyliner says they're not for delivery until October,anybody know the reason? "
So they can be painted in EZY colours......

Daft Wader
14th May 2005, 16:56
George

Sorry for the Duff gen, it seems I had my snorkel parka done up too tight to allow me to pass on correct info !!!

Brgds

Daft Wader

:8

Flightrider
14th May 2005, 18:06
Interesting. Both of those aircraft were, I think, last operated by a Turkish airline (was it FlyAir?) which left massive outstanding Eurocontrol debts on them, and the lessor (I think it was Sunrock) was not at all keen to place them back in Europe because it would have to clear those debts. Hope Jet2 have taken note of that if indeed those are the aircraft that they are taking. There were also some engine overhaul issues on both machines.

Just to be pedantic, there is no such thing as a 757ER. There are heavy gross weight and low gross weight 757s and 757s (of both weight categories) which are ETOPS and non-ETOPS approved. However, there has never been a formal designation of a 757ER. There is absolutely no guarantee that these two aircraft would be ETOPS-equipped or capable, even if they have been ETOPS in the past, since the aircraft needs to be maintained to ETOPS levels if it is to retain its ETOPS capability.

EPRman
14th May 2005, 18:08
GW76,

The extended engine cowling is because the engines are the 535-E4's not the older, less powerful 535C's.

Johnny F@rt Pants
14th May 2005, 18:53
GW76

The Oct arrival of the 757's is for the launch of the TFS service commencing 4 Oct. Nothing to do with EZY!!!!!!!!!!

GW76
14th May 2005, 19:48
Yes Im well aware of that ,it was tongue and cheek, because previous rumours have hinted at perhaps EZY being interested in LS, and EZY have a "big announcement in June"

Sorry folks, I must have been mistaken but heres the source I took my info from.
From the Boeing 757 enthusiasts site
http://www.757.org.uk/phist/
Although not a true "Extended Range" version of the aircraft, the 757-200(ER) first flew on 8th April 1986 and was delivered to Royal Brunei on 6th May 1986. The ER aircraft is certified to a higher gross takeoff weight, but does not feature additional fuel tank capacity (which is strictly speaking normally a feature of an ER variant).
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/757family/pf/pf_200back.html
the 757 is available with extended range features, including a backup hydraulic-motor generator and an auxiliary fan to cool equipment in the electronics bay. High-gross-weight versions of the aircraft can fly 4,500 statute miles (7,240 kilometers) nonstop with full passenger payload. These system attributes contribute to the 757's versatility, allowing it to serve more markets.

Im looking at a list of the Britannia/Thom fleet provided by the airline and 14 of their 757's are designated "ER" versions.

perky35
15th May 2005, 17:35
The LBA-TFS service starts in October so probably no need to bring them in until then maybe?

also, its been said that Phillip Meeson would not take the 757 due to costs, if winglets were fitted then the cost of fuel would be reduced, would be great to have wingletted 75's of jet2 at LBA.

Flightrider
15th May 2005, 21:58
GW76, yes - the 757 is available with extended range features but not all of those need/have to be present for the aircraft to fly long distances. Is a 757ER an ETOPS aircraft, a high gross weight aircraft or both - there is no such spec.

It is interesting that everyone appears to be assuming that 757s would be destined for Leeds. Has anyone considered that yields ex Manchester on the Jet2 services might be so low that they need an aircraft which can produce capacity more cheaply than a 737-300, and Manchester might just be a potential home for the aircraft? Just playing devil's advocate - I don't know anything more than anyone else, but I had heard that the low yields at Manchester had been a bit of a shock versus what they were used to at LBA.

FEBA
16th May 2005, 07:12
Doesnt the extended rear engine cowling suggest that they are indeed ER versions ???
Methinks your are confusing a 535C with an E4

757operator
16th May 2005, 07:54
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"..........they need an aircraft which can produce capacity more cheaply than a 737-300.........."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe that anything can fly at a lower seat-mile cost than a Jet2 737-300. The 757 is a big and heavy aircraft for the number of seats. What the 757 is good at is effortless range off a difficult runway.

Having said that, it makes sense to use the 757 out of Manchester too if there's enough demand to fill it. And of course if the eventual mission is Leeds and Manchester to East Coast USA and Canada, the whole project falls into place.

Although the Manchester loads may be lower than expected, the breakeven load factor must be tiny - which means that when they can fill it, the profit is huge.

Just to clarify, the 757 engines with the extended cowlings are E4 and can be found on both ETOPS and non-ETOPS 757's.

jet2impress
16th May 2005, 09:19
The 757's are initially due to be based in LBA. There is nothing to say that they won't get a couple more to base at MAN once they are smoothly integrated into the op at LBA.

Cargo
16th May 2005, 10:44
Anyone know how many seats Jet2 plan on putting in these B757s and why do they need 2 units at LBA to ops a thrice weekly Programme to TFS?

coasting
16th May 2005, 10:51
Wait until next month after the Berlin Slot conference, the picture might become more clear!.

682ft AMSL
16th May 2005, 10:55
Following release made by Dart Group to the City this morning:

16 May 2005 For Immediate Release

16 May 2005 CLASS 2 TRANSACTION

Dart Group PLC announces today that it has acquired two Boeing 757-200 aircraft from New Mexorado Gas LLC. The aircraft will be used to further expand the operations of Channel Express (Air Services) Limited. The consideration will be met from existing cash andbank resources.

*ENDS*

757operator
16th May 2005, 11:26
Interesting thread re bmibaby relevant to Jet2 at Manchester:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174922#

Seems like BMI could pull baby out of Manchester so as to concentrate on the BMI brand, ie interlining, "full service", etc

Johnny F@rt Pants
16th May 2005, 11:44
as far as I know they're going to be 225 seat config.

RobT100
16th May 2005, 14:21
Dont forget Jet2 are using a MD80 out of LBA at present. This could easily be used for the TFS service rather than a 757, so it might not be safe to say the 757 is coming to leeds after all.

Cheers.

jet2impress
16th May 2005, 14:38
I can confirm the 757's are definatly going to be LBA based. There are no plans to base them anywhere else at the moment.

The MD-82 leaves us in a couple of weeks, G-CELC has been away from base having its C check carried out... LC will be back shortly, so no longer a need for the wet lease on the MD-82.

Leodis
16th May 2005, 16:32
Can you confirm that it will be 757(s) ie: - both units based at LBA?
Interesting stuff..... The Leeds base is really showing its colours!:ok:

Keep up the good work, lets hope LBA upstairs quarters pull their finger out!:rolleyes:

jet2impress
17th May 2005, 12:59
90% sure the 2nd one will be LBA based too.... the official memo is a little sketchy though. We have a feeling that there may be another route in the pipeline for the 757. Crew are always the last ones to find out about stuff like this though.