PDA

View Full Version : Sywell now unlicenced on Mondays??

rotorcraig
12th May 2005, 18:07
I subscribe to NOTAM alerts by eMail via UKGA.COM

This evening I see that they have sent me the following...

Subject: New NOTAMS for Sywell

** NEW ** L1337/05 (AGA) Monday, 2 May 00:01 to Thursday, 30 Jun 2005 09:00

Aerodrome will operating on un-licensed basis on Mondays.
Aerodrome remains open and visiting aircraft with PPR are welcome,
fuel remains available.

On all other days of the week, the aerodrome will operating on a licensed basis as
normal.

... but when I look at AIS.ORG.UK, using either a Narrow Route Brief for next Monday or a VFR Aerodrome Brief I can see no such NOTAM!

Anyone know whether this is NOTAM is "real", or why UKGA.COM would advise a NOYAM not shown on AIS.ORG.UK?

RC

Halfbaked_Boy
12th May 2005, 23:39
Huya, not '100%' but it sounds about right considering just before our move to Sibson there was a letter sent out about the airfield's becoming unlicensed on Mondays.

Seems as though this may have been confirmed - I tell yer that airfield's never going to be the same, like so many other things nowadays.

Cheers, Jack. :)

EGBKFLYER
13th May 2005, 08:33
NOTAM is real.

At present there are only 2 full time FISOs. The third was also the airfield manager, and he has got another job elsewhere.

As the two full-timers are on a five-day week, the sixth day is being covered by two part-timers (with 3 full-timers there was a rota that covered the Tower all week). The seventh day is the Monday. Having not been there for a while, I'm unsure of the reasons for de-licencing on a Monday but I guess it's because it's always been quietest day and they aren't able to provide the necessary fire cover due to using only one part-timer in the Tower (the second was always doubling as fire/ relief FISO).

There is a plan to go back to 7 days when Mr Bletsoe Brown opens his shiny new flying school. Don't hold your breath however, as it appears that could be a while away.

Of course Sibson - the new home of NSOF - is licenced on a Monday and has lovely smooth grass and great food....

rotorcraig
13th May 2005, 18:45
So looks like the NOTAM is correct.

But AIS site, whether using Narrow Route Brief for next Monday or a VFR Aerodrome Brief, still will not give me this NOTAM.

Both UKGA.COM and AVBRIEF give 5 NOTAMs for Sywell, but can only find 4 on AIS.ORG.UK

Hmmm ... :*

RC

rotorcraig
14th May 2005, 22:09
This NOTAM now appears on the AIS site too.

Apparently the entry was changed yesterday evening to remove the "D-Field" :confused:

RC

inaspin
16th May 2005, 10:30
Now NSF has left, the airfield is bound to be much quieter. As EGBK says "The third was also the airfield manager, and he has got another job elsewhere", just part of the mass exodus.

This is the latest on the hard runway.

Members of campaign group Stop the Aerodrome Runway Expansion (STARE) were threatened with legal action as a result of their protests against Sywell owner Michael Bletsoe-Brown.
Solicitors' letters were sent between the two parties but officials now hope the matter is closed, with planners turning down the proposals after they were found to breach at least 11 planning rules.
STARE spokeswoman Angela Parker said: "This is a good result for us as we have long fought on behalf of residents of Sywell and other local villages who will be affected should the development be given the go- ahead. It has been a long, arduous and stressful campaign, as at the end of last year most of the members of STARE were threatened with legal action for libel by the aerodrome managers.
"Many of us risked losing our homes because we took a different point of view to the aerodrome management about the runway expansion. But thankfully after three solicitors' letters threatening us, nothing more has been heard since."
At a stormy meeting of Wellingborough Borough Council's regulatory committee at Swanspool House in the town on Wednesday, the committee carried the refusal, with six councillors voting against the expansion, two for, and one abstaining.
Mr Bletsoe-Browne originally saw the plans for a 1,000-metre hard runway given the go-ahead in 2002 but consent was later withdrawn when a judicial review at the High Court pointed out that councillors did not make one of the consultation documents public.
Further applications have been made by the aerodrome but the latest was withdrawn when an appeal for non-determination was lodged with the Planning Inspectorate.
Mr Bletsoe-Browne said: "The decision means nothing, it's only an indication to the inspector. I didn't expect the council to go against the recommendations.
"We just have to wait now for the inspector's decision, which will probably be about another 12 months or so."

Typical BB approach, don't try to get people on side and work with them, threaten them with legal action instead. Bullying gets people wound up, and they will oppose everything BB wants to do, regardless of whether it is a good idea or not.