PDA

View Full Version : Color Vision and PPL

Mad Engineer
12th May 2005, 14:26
Any of you holds a PPL being unable to pass the Ishisara test?
Is this possible under JAR-FCL?

rednine
12th May 2005, 14:48
Yes! The limitation is you can't fly at night and aerodromes should have RT!

Otherwise no problems

Mad Engineer
12th May 2005, 15:09
RT? What does it mean?

Kanu
12th May 2005, 15:18
Radio Telephony - A/G Radio/ Air Traffic Control and so on.

sorry if I'm wrong :D

ThePirateKing
12th May 2005, 16:23
Rednine,

Where did you get the RT bit from? My licence is just endorsed VFR flight by DAY only. This was before the recent relaxation of the restriction against getting an IMC rating.

Mad Engineer, you won't be able to get a Class 1 Medical which you need for a CPL/ATPL, and you won't be able to get a night rating which is a pre-requisite for a PPL/IR. (Instrument Rating.)

However, you can get an IMC rating now.

TPK:ok:

S-Works
12th May 2005, 19:32
My mate is red green colour blind and flies at night and without radio with no restrictions. You have to pass some sort of lantern test instead.

Mad Engineer
12th May 2005, 20:10
Oh yes, I know the lantern test, but I fail this as well :(

Thanks for the 'RT' clarification, and for all the contributions.

ThePirateKing
12th May 2005, 21:58
rednine,

I thought the US endorsement was "not controlled by light signals". That doesn't mean there must by RT. You could, for example, fly to unmanned fields.

TPK:ok:

Blinkz
12th May 2005, 22:43
look in the medical forum, there is a huge post on colourvision. I am colourblind, I failed the tests at gatwick yet I have a class 1.....:ok:

long story tho, go look at the other colourvision thread.

andyb79
12th May 2005, 23:25
I would like to add that i too failed the isihara test but eventually got my class 2( apparently the class 1 wont be a problem either,well not for this issue).
After failing the isihara i was told i required a holmes-wright lantern test. eventually managed to get this arranged and after nearly a whole day doing this (at a university and i was the first one that year so became somewhat of a teaching aid) i got cleared for my medical.
If passing that isnt an option then you should maybe look at the NPPL. The restrictions on your medical would mean you have pretty much the same priviledges.

rednine
13th May 2005, 06:43
TPK

the full thing states must have RT and not controlled by light signals. You can do all sorts of tests at the with the CAA medics at Gatwick and you only have to pass one! However, you can only do each one on one occasion!

shortstripper
13th May 2005, 07:01
Why RT? Does that mean you could not fly into farm strips or own one yourself? Seems a bit OTT simply because of colour blindness?

SS :confused:

Blinkz
13th May 2005, 08:07
if you read the big colourvision thread you'll see failing the caa tests isn't necessarily the end of the world.

TeleMaPhone
14th May 2005, 03:13
If you pass the Farnsworth Lantern Test it may not be a problem, and there may not be any restrictions on your licences..