PDA

View Full Version : Wx radar on the ground

DVR6K
11th May 2005, 22:47
Hi all,

Just been reading the thread in the medical forum about the potential effects of weather radars on people working on the ground around aircraft. The question is why would you have the weather radar on anyway????

Because it isn't connected to the ground-logic system on the aircraft I assume there is a use for it but I can't think of what that might be. Any ideas?

Ta.

Intruder
12th May 2005, 01:02
One use is to scan the departure path for weather prior to takeoff. It is of limited use, but adds to other information...

Pegasus77
12th May 2005, 11:39
Added to the WX-scan there is the often heard rumour that the radar could scare birds off the RWY. I sincerely doubt it, but many captains switch the radar on anyway.

cheers,
P77

ifleeplanes
12th May 2005, 12:13
Not to forget PWS alerting......mind these are all used on lineup and takeoff so no one should be in a position to get iradiated.

Piltdown Man
12th May 2005, 12:50
A very useful thing to do. Last week, altered departure track to avoid a lot of nasty purple and this was planned before departure.

mymymy
12th May 2005, 13:47
Sometimes a WXR test is required following system maintenance or component change.

3my

zehnder
12th May 2005, 14:16
Lads,
The whole point is that the radar should not be on when on the ground. There is a health issue...., makes you glow in the dark, gives you a suntan and makes you shoot blanks. ..., this s a very bad thing.

Pegasus77
12th May 2005, 15:24
Zehnder,

Yes you are right and no you are not. Older WX-radars had an immense power and could light flashbulbs, and tube lights etc. Nowadays (modern Airbuses etc.) the power is so much less, that I daresay that the danger on the ground is neglectible.

P77

zehnder
12th May 2005, 16:14
Pegasus77,
You're absolutely right. Back in the old days of vacuum tubes the solution was always to thrash the living hell out of everything with more power like something Kirk would say to Scotty on Star Trek. The initial medical post was really anissue of safety and follow SOPs, ie, if you're doing a walk round, the radar needs to be off.
This thread has confused me a little. Exactly when is the best time to turn it on? Any MCC or training I have been on so far has not involved the Radar. I take it that the radar can be on just before entering the runway?

ifleeplanes
12th May 2005, 17:18
Our company SOP is to turn it on for takeoff, to check for any weather and to scan for windshear. It also can scare the birds?!? (mm not sure about that one personaly)

CarltonBrowne the FO
12th May 2005, 17:20
... then there is the story of the C130 at Lyneham who forgot to switch it off, as they turned a corner on the taxiway the nose swung past a parked Phantom- and all the missiles fell off the hardpoints of the F4!

None
12th May 2005, 18:06
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=127389&highlight=weather+radar

cavortingcheetah
12th May 2005, 18:08
:) We always used to use the Wx radar in Africa in the vicinity of Vultures. One once came through the window on a F27, flew over the head of the FO, passed through the radio crate rack behind him and ended up at the rear of the forward baggage hold.
Some years ago The Scientific American ran an article on the use of inbuilt radar by birds for navigation. The article did conclude that Wx radar could upset birds sufficiently to drive them from the flight path of an aircraft. Used to use it here as well with gulls or plovers in the vicinity of the field. No proof of course but no complaints of localized sterility either.:eek:

Capt Fathom
13th May 2005, 13:07
We turn the radar on as we taxi. Low power, so not a problem these days as mentioned in previous posts. Some say it scares the birds away, however I have seen birds fly across the front of the radome without flinching!

matkat
16th May 2005, 19:47
The width of the radar beam is very narrow(pencil)so the potential for it to hit a bird is extremly rare.