PDA

View Full Version : GNS430 for RNP5 Airways?

Sky Wave
11th May 2005, 22:10
I'm aware that any GPS system easily fulfils the accuracy requirements of RNP5, but does having a GNS430 fitted in your aircraft allow you to fly airways which are restricted to RNP5?

Wasn't sure which forum to post on so I've posted in Tech Log and Private Flying.

Cheers

SW

QSK?
11th May 2005, 23:12
Sky Wave:

I suspect you cannot just hop in your plane and fly an RNP route just because your have the required GPS or navigational capability.

Not sure what the rules are in EUR but, if they are anything like in Oz, I think you will find that before you can fly on a RNP airway both the operator and aircraft must be specifically approved and RNP training requirements set out in your Operations Manual.

I'm not an expert in this area, so others may be able to assist further

DFC
12th May 2005, 00:02
Basically when you had the modification to fit the GPS approved ther should have been an AAN which would have specified a flight manual supplement that should be added to the flight manual describing the limitations of use including if it can be used for B-RNAV operations.

Check with the people who did the mod or the CAA Airworthiness Approvals department.

There is also a yellow AIC regarding all of this.

Regards,

DFC

IO540
12th May 2005, 06:09
What does an AAN have to do with any of this, DFC???

I have to give you this though: you do have all the right CAA manuals to hand ;) Whether the info that magically emerges from them has the slightest relevance is another matter.

Sky Wave
12th May 2005, 11:40
Thanks for the replies everyone.

DFC, thanks for the information on the Yellow AIC. It was helpful.

This is the situation as I now understand it.

The UK CAA Yellow AIC has two relevant sections. They are section 7 and Section 9: (I’ll paraphrase)

7 Certification and Approval Requirements
7.1 You must have onboard equipment to provide lateral track of +/-5nm 95% of the flight time (RNP5)
7.2 TGL 2 may be used as a certification basis
7.3 For UK operators and UK registered aircraft there are no separate approvals required.

9 Responsibility of operators
9.1 It’s the operators responsibility to ensure the accuracy of the system when operating in B-RNAV airspace. The methods in TGL 2 para 5.2 should be used.

So that’s the CAA’s take. The JAA TGL is a bit more difficult to pick out the relevant stuff.

TGL2, Section 4 – Airworthiness Approval

4.1.1 Nav accuracy +/-5nm 95% of flight and suitable failure flags, and accuracy information

4.1.2 Only one system need be installed as long as basic VOR/DME is available as a back up

4.3 The basis for certification should be stated in the AFM, and the GPS should be included on the MMEL/MEL
4.4 System compliance (TSO-C129() for GPS, which the GNS430 complies with

5 Operation Criteria
5.1 The flight crew should receive appropriate training in the use of GPS stand-alone system
5.2 The flight crew should check that RAIMS is available if 23 or less satellites are available, the crew should obtain a prediction programme for the route of flight, the crew should check the AIRAC data cycle is up to date and traditional navigation aids should be used for cross-checking throughout the flight.

I believe that this site fulfils the requirements of the prediction programme. http://augur.ecacnav.com/

Have I missed anything?

DFC
12th May 2005, 23:37
IO540,

Here is one we made earlier. :D

http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/27237/27237000000.pdf

Read it and you might see the relevance.

-------------

Sky Wave,

Did you fit the GPS as a mod or have you purchased a new aircraft with the equipment fitted?

In both cases, is there a flight manual supplement in existance?

Overall a quick email to the CAA will get you the best answer.

Regards,

DFC