PDA

View Full Version : Studying for PPL

ex_matelot
11th May 2005, 14:26
Hi,ive been scanning these forums and learned lots of useful info,Im currently halfway through my PPL course and hope to complet it within the next 2 months.
My question is..once ive gained my PPL,what are (if any) the other ways of hour building without having to hire out a cessna all the time?My funds are now scarily low and I still wish to progress my flying as far as I can,IMC,MEP-CPL etc,eventually.
Could somebody offer some advice please!

Also,a bit of a vague one but here goes...considering different education levels-GCSE,A level,degree standard etc,at which level would you consider the varied stages of being a pilot could be placed?I ask because ive tried to explain the study involved to a friend who is under the impression its just like learning to drive!!

Thankyou in advance.

<<edit: Moved here at the request of the author.>>

What's a Girdler
11th May 2005, 15:30
Hi EM

I'm assuming you are still in school or college, if funds are low then civil flying professionally is probably way off. I was in a similar point in life when I was studying A levels, I couldn' t wait to get flying. I didn't have the funds for flying, so i went and did a degree. Joined the University of london Air Squadron and gained many flying hours on the buuldog, being trained by RAF Hercules and Tornado pilots. They really taught you to fly well, and made the fying very challenging, I was doing solo aerobatics after only a few hours. IT WAS ALL PAID FOR BY THE TAXPAYER. You get given the option in your third year of joining the regular RAF as aircrew if selected which I found wsn't for me. I had 70 hrs of the best flying training money can't buy, under my belt for free and a degree! Managed to get a job in Air Traffic doing systems engineering (still here!!:{ ) but it pays so well that I am now paying my way through fATPL training, and I am not having to get large loans to pay for it.

My advice go to University, join a UAS. See if you can get into the military. If you don't like it or make the grade (it is tough) you'll have a degree to get a well paid job to pay your way through the fATPL.

PM me if like:ok:

The belt maker!!!

ex_matelot
11th May 2005, 16:05
Thanks for that,Im 29 years old after nearly 13 years in the royal navy.Realistically,am I too old to hit the learning curve?

stiknruda
11th May 2005, 16:40
I guess it all depends how bright you are as to how easy you will find the learning.

However - and this is the good bit, I know quite a few ATPLs who are as thick as pig-$hit but have just knuckled down and learnt what is required, replicated it for the exam then promptly dumped the brain-store.

If you want it bad enough, you'll pass. As an ex fish-head you can't be super-dumb or you'd have joined the army!

Good luck!

Stik;)

ex_matelot
11th May 2005, 16:50
Once I gain my ppl,are there ways of getting in hours without the usual hiring malarky?,im thinking-banner towing etc.Not got far enough into air law yet to know whether thats allowed on ppl!

Mastered the overhead join procedure today first time-I practiced on FS2004 first!!! Is that sad?!!!

Kanu
11th May 2005, 17:01
I know of a guy who practiced his QXC on FS2004 with all the VFR scenery installed. Apparently it worked a treat! In short - No the software is that good now, that its of great benefit imo.

Saab Dastard
11th May 2005, 18:48
ex_matelot,

You are certainly not too old to do what you want to - plenty of people have changed career to professional flying at even more advanced ages!

You may find some of the material you have to learn for the various qualifications a bit daunting if you have been out of the way of study for a while. But much of the PPL material is very practical and you may find that you cope well with it.

I would say that PPL is mostly no more than GCSE level, with the possible exceptions of Air Law and Met.

Regarding hours building - there is no way that a PPL can fly for hire or reward, that is very clear. Even if you do not get paid, the task (e.g. banner towing) would still be considered "Aerial Work" and a PPL cannot do it.

You might be able to join a gliding club that operates tug aircraft and get experience that way - but you would have to get at least silver C in gliding first, so it doesn't really solve the problem, plus there are many people competing for a few tug jobs.

Probably the cheapest way to build hours is to go abroad - USA, S. Africa etc. - where hire is much less.

Alternatively, look to join a group with a share in a modest aircraft - it still isn't free, but less than hiring.

You can also investigate flying microlight or ultralight aircraft, which I believe can be a good deal cheaper (Genghis...?)

Finally, you may want to research the BCPL - basic commercial licence - which would allow you to do aerial work while still working towards a full CPL with IR etc. - assuming you want to fly for a living.

HTH

SD

Freebird17
11th May 2005, 20:59
The old BCPL route is no longer available