PDA

View Full Version : Beginners advice...

DB777
11th May 2005, 12:03
Hi,

Starting my quest to gain my NPPL this weekend. Something that is as close as I can get to flying as my eyesight doesn't pass CAA regulations for the PPL.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me to help me start off on the right foot.

Rgds
Dan

Gargleblaster
11th May 2005, 12:54
Fly as often as possible, twice a week is a good rule of thumb. If less than once a week you start rusting, and spend time and money on re-learning stuff.

Be prepared for every lesson ! Go mentally through every detail of the next flight.

Also, don't get too frustrated, you will at times feel you're not going forward, and even going backwards e.g. with your landings. Keep going, suddently it all comes together. :D

Genghis the Engineer
11th May 2005, 13:05
Go for the microlight NPPL, it's cheaper, the aircraft will probably be newer and nothing you'll ever do in microlights (including becoming an instructor) will require anything other than an NPPL medical.

G

DB777
11th May 2005, 13:59
Thanks for your advice people.

P.S Where can I get a log book from and how ezxactly does it work - excuse my ignorance!

Gargleblaster
11th May 2005, 14:35
Suggest you try www.transair.co.uk.

Genghis the Engineer
11th May 2005, 15:34
Easiest thing is buy a logbook from the flying school, they'll invariably keep a few of a type they're happy with in stock.

There's nothing mysterious about a logbook, it just records all your flying - when, where, what times, who was on board, and if it was a lesson the lesson number and signed off by your instructor. Basically the pages are just a series of tables with standard headings - it's very obvious when you see one.

G

jb5000
11th May 2005, 16:00
Hi,

There are 'Wannabes' and 'Private Flying' sections on the main forum list. Theres bags and bags of information in there!

All the best with the NPPL,

James