PDA

View Full Version : MD-83 Type Rating

KrazyKraut
11th May 2005, 09:52
Hi,

I'm looking for a training provider (FAA or JAA) which can provide an MD-83 TR. Little luck so far as there seem to be many more MD-80 sims than 83 (!). Dry-lease sim providers aplenty, but not TRTOs.

Suggestions for TRTO would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

KrazyKraut.

low n' slow
11th May 2005, 15:02
Try SAS Flight Academy at Stockholm Arlanda. They have a good reputation for being very proffesional and since MD80 series used to be and to some extent still is the company's main aircraft, they're very experienced on this specific type.
A friend of mine did a TR with them just a year ago and I believe he payed somewhere in the region of 250000 SEK. Take this figure with a pinch of salt as I might be way of and prices may have changed. My understanding is though, that this type is becomming slightly obsolete and this causes demand to drop. This causes in turn the price to drop compared to a B737 or A320 TR...
The MD80 is one of my favourite airplanes. I have had the privelege to follow my dad in the jumpseat a couple of times aswell as been allowed into the right seat in the SIM. It's a nice plane that demands a little bit more from the pilot than for example the 737NG (from which I have no practical experience). Instrumentation is generally of a little older style and the FMS is not as advanced. I reccon this gives the pilot a little more insight in what the plane is doing and provides the pilot with a more interesting workplace. Here's the link to the academy: http://www.sasflightacademy.com/
Best of luck/ LnS

KrazyKraut
11th May 2005, 17:15
SAS at Arlanda is a good one - I've been there and they do have superb facilities.

But they only have MD80 sims, not 83, and as far as I know there is not a common TR for those types...?

Any more TRTO suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Techman
11th May 2005, 17:30
There is no such thing as an "MD-80" aircraft type.
It is a generic term used to describe the MD-80 series of aircraft, just as 737 is used to describe everything from a -200 to a -900.

There are MD-81/82/83/87/88. The MD-81 to 87 all have the same type certificate and are actually correctly called DC9-8x.
The MD-88 has a seperate TC and is the only 'real' MD-80.

So equally there is no such thing as a stand alone MD-83 type rating. What there is though is a DC9-80 series rating.

KrazyKraut
11th May 2005, 18:13
Thank you Techman and Snam. Very helpful information. :)

low n' slow
11th May 2005, 19:10
Techmans words would in that case make SFA a valid option?
I find it most unlikely that SFA would not offer a TR valid for the MD83 as this aircraft is included in the SAS fleet (SAS performs all training in house).
/LnS