PDA

View Full Version : PPL in USA without M1 visa

ChewyTheWookie
10th May 2005, 21:00
Just wondered if anyone had done their PPL training in the USA on the visa waiver scheme without the M1 visa?

Is it risky? What are the chances of getting caught? Surely there are not immigration officials lurking about the flying schools?

BossEyed
10th May 2005, 21:10
Is it risky? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just when you think you've read the dumbest post possible on here...

oliverpollard
10th May 2005, 21:42
noy way jose
ud be mad mate - especially these days
go get one!

ChewyTheWookie
10th May 2005, 21:53
Sorry to put in a stupid post but I'd had an email from a well known flying school in the US saying they can no longer do the visa thing but that shouldn't stop me.

It's a real shame as they have a pretty good rep (well, as good as a school gets on pprune) and offer the JAA PPL as well as having vacancies when i'm available. Unfortunatly traveling to Florida at peak time is not really an option for me (on staff standby tickets!) so it pretty much rules out all the JAA schools.

Looks like i'm going for UKFT in Lancaster. Anyone got any last comments before I sign up? FAA license won't really be a problem will it? Only want to do the occasional hour to take mates up etc in the UK and the rest in the USA anyway.

Appreciate any comments

- The hairy one

Keygrip
11th May 2005, 01:46
Very interested to hear which USA based JAA approved PPL training school has lost M1 approval!!

VisaGeeza
11th May 2005, 08:32
They gave you good advice, firstly they stand to get your money, secondly they take no risks - you take them all! But, you can be assured that probably the worst thing that will happen to you if you are caught is that you will be deported from the USA and will be barred from re-entering again if that's a risk you are prepared to take! You can be caught very easily if you are involved in any sort of "incident" or get ramp checked.

I would also be interested in the school that gave the advice and so no doubt would the US Immigration and Naturalisation Service. Who was it? post it here and I promise not to tell a soul! :cool:

chopperpilot47
11th May 2005, 15:00
This thread has been done before. You must get an M1 visa for training. If you enter on a waiver you are asking for trouble. The school you are going to in Lancaster will submit your details including your fingerprints and photograph to the TSA. Those details include your visa information. No visa - arrest and deportation follow quickly afterwards.

Any school that tells you you can be trained on a waiver is to be avoided. There is a lot of information on the TSA web site and the SEVIS site about this. See http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/

When you get to Lancaster visit the helicopter school next door. It is owned by a Brit with Brit instructors.

Chopperpilot 47

ukpilotinca
11th May 2005, 19:08
Nooooooo!!! Very bad idea. Whilst it is possible to come here and stay without the proper papers and do almost whatever the hell you want, general aviation training is very high on the TSA radar.

And with today's 'buzzing' of the White House by some idiot in a 152 (twice!) it is likely only to get worse.

Like everyone says - get the right visa, and avoid any school which says they'll take you without it.

Paul