PDA

View Full Version : Weybourne

tmmorris
10th May 2005, 19:14
Contemplating using Weybourne for a trip to see friends in Holt ,(Norfolk coast); any tips? Looks straightforward in the VFR flight guide...

Tim

Zlin526
10th May 2005, 19:22
Been there a few times, not overly long but good enough for the Robin I took last time. Give them a call, number is in most flight guides..Best call a cab for Holt, the buses are not that regular.:=

Wycombe
11th May 2005, 11:13
...took a 172 there some years back (to visit the neighbouring museum). Should be fine as long as it's handled as any other short (but do-able) strip.

Seem to remember there is a small hill at the inland end of the main strip?

Brooklands
11th May 2005, 12:42
Tim,

I shared the flight with Wycombe. As far as I remember the 'main' runway isn't that long, and is slightly uphill from the sea, with a bigger (by Norfolk standards) hill at the end.

When we went there was a strong crosswind from the north, and we landed from the sea, up the hill. There used to be an RAF radar station there, and the fence vas VERY close to the southern edge of the runway.

When we left I took off down the hill (the wind was straight accross the runway), as I didn't fancy going up the hill in a 150HP 172, even if we were only two up.

I think I may have some pictures of the airfield. If you'd like to see them drop me a PM and I can scan them in and e-mail them to you, or we could meet up as I live in Oxfordshire

Brooklands

tmmorris
11th May 2005, 13:40
Thanks all - v. useful. At the moment it looks like being just 13st of me in a 180HP Archer, so I should be OK! But I'll note the advice on slopes &c.

Unless it's horrendously hard to spot I'll probably be OK without the photos (one can get an aerial photo on Multimap anyway). I think the RAF Radar Station might still be there (it gets a mention in the VFRFG, anyway).

Tim

stiknruda
11th May 2005, 15:46
v easy to spot!

Stik

Saab Dastard
11th May 2005, 19:01
I'd certainly choose 16/34 if I were you, whatever the wind!

03/21 is only 370m! :uhoh:

I would advise checking the ground & weather conditions and adding the appropriate factors for t/o & landing distances, but 610m grass should not generally be a problem, unless it is v. long and / or wet.

Easier than Netherthorpe, tho!

windy1
11th May 2005, 20:44
Been there a couple of times in a Beagle Pup 100hp and a C172 145hp 3 up.

You need to watch out for:

That hill
The aeromodellers
The rabbit holes, molehills etc

but most of all the wind which, being on the coast, bears no resemblance to what it was where you departed from, what was forecast in the nearest TAF etc etc.

It can be fun or challenging depending on these variables.

stiknruda
11th May 2005, 21:52
It just *might* be worth giving Cromer a call for wind direction. Chris Gurney (Northreps Int'l ) uses 129.82 IIRC or 128.92!

tmmorris
13th Jul 2005, 11:53
Finally made it there yesterday. On my 2nd attempt managed to land on 34, then realised why it had been so difficult - the 'windsock' was showing a wind from the coast but there was basicallly none, and 34 does slope downhill a LOT. I felt sorry for the driver of the tractor on short final...!

Nice strip, though, and takeoff downhill on 34 was much easier.

Tim

bar shaker
13th Jul 2005, 14:01
Stik

You were right first time, 129.825 for Cromer, or 01263 513015.

Planning to get to Weybourne myself soon, whilst the weather is good.