PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi ATC Recruitment Boycott

seatstrap
10th May 2005, 08:36
I heard a rumour this morning that all is not well in Abu Dhabi and that a group of Atco's are making waves about a recruitment boycott.

I was concidering applying to Abu Dhabi. I only have 3 months radar experience ,but was told that its not a problem at present , as there are many jobs available and they will hire anybody regardless of experience.

Should I still apply ( I dont want to loose this opportunity ) or should I rather wait or look some place else?

Can anybody help?

Skase Jnr
10th May 2005, 10:39
What is a recruitment boycot?

I did notice that the Ab Dab jobs are not being advertised on Flightinternational.com anymore. Does that mean anything.

Puzzled.:confused:

ferris
10th May 2005, 11:24
all is not well in Abu Dhabi That may be so.....buta group of Atco's are making waves about a recruitment boycott. what makes you think that ATCOs have ANY influence over recruitment?
I was concidering applying to Abu Dhabi. I only have 3 months radar experience ,but was told that its not a problem at present , as there are many jobs available and they will hire anybody regardless of experience Do you mean you were considering Abu Dhabi Approach, or the Area Centre? If this is a genuine post, and not a wind-up, you may want to re-think your position. I don't think you would be considered with only 3 months experience (but as a lowly ATCO, I have no influence on recruitment policy, so what do I know?). You would be wise to get in touch with both Serco, and people who work there.

therat
10th May 2005, 11:53
skase - dunno either , but heard the other day some people are getting seriously fedup with the cr#p going on in the centre.

seatstrap - go see your local shrink mate , before applying for this dump with its gestapo management aka the great dane and his brown coloured puppies. You will be better of wherever you are. Got some horror stories about accomodation and the working conditions if you still want to persue this job further. I'll try to be objective though.

Lost another 2 from here so far this month and its only the 10th.

Mickey

seatstrap
10th May 2005, 13:31
Thanks all

We recieved a fax last night from "Abu Dhabi ATCO Action Group" which asks all controllers accross the globe not to apply to Abu Dhabi ACC until some issues are resolved. Eg: after completing a nightshift it is followed by an afternoon shift that same day !! Surely that cant be true .

I have 3 months on en-route radar + App procedural

thanx
john - UK

cat man do
11th May 2005, 12:16
Seatstrap, therat and Skase Jnr - all registered May 2005. Sounds like the biggest wind-up in history. I'm sure I worked the same shift with you guys the other night??????:suspect:

GLOC
11th May 2005, 12:54
Have a friend on the Abu Dhabi contract (Approach???) and another on the UAE contract and word is things are a bit grim, salary accom etc.

I think the center is waaaay short and not improving, changed all the procedures based on extra manning....which has not been found!!! and traffic resrictions have now been imposed. I know this because at the hold point two days ago with a line up of about 3 jets for departure we were told there was a 5 minute separation requirement between departures due to ATC manning shortages???

If this is progress, I fear for the future in this region....Jebal Ali just around the corner and traffic growth in the region going through the roof!!!!

:uhoh:

P.S Carrying extra fuel now for the Desdi hold which is almost becoming the norm!

:hmm:

therat
12th May 2005, 00:56
Cat - dunno about the other 2 but Ive recently changed "me alias". Yes , I did not work the shift with you - or did I - or maybe I did !??! . Keep fishing! Who are u , or not to be , by the way?!

I can confirm that Ive just recieved an email from a mate in Dunnadda saying their ACC also got a fax a few hours ago , asking fellow controllers to shy away from Abu Dhabi ???
Sounds like somebody is getting serious about stirring the pot over here.
Maybe its about time as Serco management (?) seem to protect themselfs , their company cars , their company villas ( not roach or rat infested ), and their company arses - forgetting the real assets of the contract.
Dunno what the f##k they keep themselves busy with in the un-supporting office. ( We must be on a par !! by now = 25 Controllers left with about 30 office staff looking after us .... mmmhm)
Oh sorry - they are busy with investigations about all the airproxes happening of late. Opening extra sectors when whe can barely cope with the current lot - duh!
Then suspending / fireing the poor Atco for getting 2 inside 5 miles , when he - who hasnt had a day off the last 2 weeks (maybe one ) , makes a mistake - bieng overloaded with aeroplanes in severely restricted airspace - all on black and white radar - ( Bill Gates will announce a dramatic adavance in Abu Dhabi ATC Radar Resolution soon . I think its called Colour ) Riis , are you retarded or just plain stupid?
Why do I bother - the controller is at fault regardless - if he is not - there will be a way to screw him.

seatstrap

Yes - we work nightshifts followed by afternoon-shifts - get about 4 hours sleeping time inbetween. Why? - doesnt this happen in the normal world?

gloc

Nice to see the drivers are paying attention. You will not believe how far ATC is behind the rest of the world in this region. Watch this space.

M

indecent
12th May 2005, 07:45
Hey Therat

Interesting perpective from someone living and working in Abu Dhabi. Just one question though... If you are so miserable there and things are as bad as you say they are, why are you still there? :confused:

cat man do
12th May 2005, 08:36
Well said Indecent.

Hey rat, I changed my mind, could not have been you I worked with the other night. The guys I work with are pretty sane, they don't spread disease and cr@p :yuk: like you.

Your facts are totally distorted and you are a disgrace. Get a life.

To all other ppruners reading this site please ignore the inaccurate rantings of the diseased rat.

The Cat.

ItchyFeet2
12th May 2005, 09:24
Can anyone comment on this string, or do you have to be registered in May 2005?

(Except Ferris and Indecent !)

Action groups in the Middle East?

Whatever next, unions?

Skase Jnr
12th May 2005, 10:23
Just because you have only been registered since May doesn't mean you havn't been lurking for 15 years.

I am back in Australia now that Pixie got her passport back.

Ciao,
Skasey:D

therat
12th May 2005, 10:51
Question to all you colon creepers out there : what be the swiftest of them all ?

A. Najda Street Cockroach

B. Al Rumaithy Rat

C. Multicoloured Allycat chasing A or B

D. The hands of the infamous elevatorgroper

E. Taxidriver through a red light

F. None of the above

Please choose wisely. First prize is lunch with management.

What give you guys the impression that I'm a controller and not management ? Am I from this planet ? Are you actually reading this thread right now? - keep fishing !

All comments made are documented fact and you guys know it. Anybody else care to comment or too sh1tscared as usual ??

Whoooosshhh......
M

GLOC
12th May 2005, 10:56
Goodness....didn't realize things were that grim!

:oh:

Fox3snapshot
12th May 2005, 10:58
For the record I am not related to therat !

:ooh:

AirNoServicesAustralia
12th May 2005, 13:10
Neither am I!!!!

Things certainly could be better here, but as has been said, you don't like it you leave.

I believe in free speech so go for it guys, but personally I love the work, and the lifestyle. Working conditions are another story, and the inequality between Dubai and here, when we are sweating bullets trying to keep up with the traffic, is the source of most of the angst, at least on my part. Different contract or not, give us the same conditions as Dubai, and most of us would be satisfied. That is, give us the same accomodation allowance and give us a furniture allowance, and the staffing would improve and then we could have somewhere near as long breaks as the rest of the units in the Middle East.

Fox3snapshot
12th May 2005, 13:18
With ya mate...nothing a nice pad and a few more fun tickets wouldn't sort out!

Great bunch of people at the unit, great city, great pubs and Etihad recruitment in full swing :E

But if I was going to pick from the rat's list I would have to go for A. The Najda Street Cockraoch, cause one of them just took off with my beers!
:ooh:

cat man do
12th May 2005, 15:40
Dear Rat

Oh, so if you enjoy yourself here you are labled a colon creeper?:hmm:

I am over awed by your high level of intelligence and moral judgement. Please can we meet because I really really want to be your friend, the joy and enthusiasm you spread is wonderful and want to experience it. Tell you what, seeing that you are leaving (no please don't, we are all begging), I will arrange the farewell party, oh what a joyous affair it will be.

No, you :8 are not of this planet and I am not reading this thread right now.

Your wannebe mate CAT.

Hey fox3snapshot, the cockroach is slow cause I beat him to it :D

Speedy Cat.

P.S. The beers were great, got any more????

therat
12th May 2005, 16:24
Dear Kitty

You must be from management. Trying to put out some fires, are we now? Keep fishing !

Airno

Tactfully put mate. Alas .... lend me your ears coutrymen.

Foxy

Incorrect answer. I did however see a Resident Roach come past with a bottle of expencive whiskey under the arm. Couldnt have snatched it from a controllers pad. Unless same Atco's are moonlighting !

The Rodent

PPRuNe Radar
12th May 2005, 16:30
And on those personal exchanges ... this thread has run its course.