PDA

View Full Version : Which PPL in USA?

ChewyTheWookie
9th May 2005, 19:15
I am looking to do a PPL course between 15th July and 10th August as cheap as possible. Please could people suggest a school for me, bearing in mind the following:

I would like a JAA PPL preferably but could do a FAA one and convert it back in the UK if possible and practical.

I am currently crew for the major british airline and will be traveling on a standby ticket which may cause problems going to Florida at peak times. UKFT in Lancaster is an option if the FAA license is easy enough to convert.

Naples Air Centre is fully booked for July.

Accomodation does not have to be 5*, just acceptable and as close as possible to the school.

I would like to be able to fly occasionally in the UK but also hour build in the USA. Do most UK flying schools allow aircraft to be used by FAA PPL holders? If I was to convert a license would it just be a case of doing a skill test, the written exams, RT test and medical? Would all my hours be taken into account? Would my JAA license be valid if I did not maintain the FAA one?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I'm looking to book in the next few days and am completely lost!

Confabulous
9th May 2005, 19:46
Chewy,

Firstly I suggest a search within these hallowed walls for the information you want - it's all there.

Secondly, for the US a visa is a must - waivers and tourist visas are not acceptable for flight training.

Thirdly, why go for an FAA licence if you're going to be flying in the UK? Get a JAR licence in the US at an approved school. You'd have more trouble converting to a JAR licence in the UK. FAA licences are perfectly acceptable here, but the paperwork and possible suspicion that clubs may treat you is not worth the hassle. Search for a few Florida JAA approved schools in PF - there's plenty of them. Both ways will require some hours familiarisation when back in the UK.

Finally, why July? Apparently the weather is better (less thermal activity etc) in November/January.

Remember these are all my personal opinions, best thing is to look at all the options - Spain, South Africa, Cananda etc.

Confab

BroomstickPilot
9th May 2005, 20:57
Chewy,

If you train in the US, it doesn't matter whether you obtain a JAA PPL or an FAA PPL. Either way, you will have to do more hours dual on your return to the UK. This is for three reasons.

Firstly, UK airspace in general tends to be more conjested than much US airspace, so you have to be on you toes, and ready to use British radio technique.

Secondly, our weather is VERY MUCH less predictable than theirs.

Thirdly, British clubs seem to be of the opinion that there is more variability in training standards among those returning from American establishments, so they feel they have to vet carefully anybody coming back from there.

However, once you have done your dual on returning from the USA, you should have no further difficulty in establishing your familiarity with UK conditions as your UK dual will be recorded in your log book.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you do a JAA PPL, you will then be compelled to have a life long relationship with our unbelievably rapacious CAA, who will charge you royally for every single thing.

For example, if your ambition is to fly in instrument conditions, then if you have a JAA PPL you will either be limited to obtaining an IMC rating, which has limited privileges.

Or, you may obtain an FAA Instrument Rating and use it with your JAA PPL, in which case you will still have to pay £70 every year just for the CAA to put a rubber stamp on it!

If you have an FAA PPL and IR, I don't know what the figures are for renewal, but I am certain they will be a fraction of what you'd pay the CAA.

Either way, I still think it is better to train overseas (e.g. USA) as you can go somewhere where the weather is dependable and get the licence over and done with all in one go.

Confabulous' advice regarding choice of the best month to go over is correct. Check through the search function on this site or with your school of choice to find the best time to go.

Best regards,

Broomstick

ChewyTheWookie
9th May 2005, 21:45
Thanks everyone for the help.

Hi. The school you have asked about are banned from being mentioned on PPRuNe for defaulting payment for banner advertising.
BRL.

Confabulous
9th May 2005, 21:58
Chewy,

Getting an impartial opinion about US FTOs is next to impossible because someone's bound to have a bad opinion - and whoever does have that opinion tends to be much more vocal.

So it's pick and mix, although I have to say I've never heard anything bad about NAC, but I've no personal experience of them - and that's as neutral as I can be. Again, concentrated bitching about one particular FTO is generally a sign that it's best to stay away from them. Do some more searches, thats my advice.

Conf

PS: Some tips gleaned from this forum:

1. If they ask for payment up front - forget it.

2. Always pay by credit card - it's more reliable and there's a paper trail in case the FTO goes belly up.

3. Be realistic about expenses - getting through in 45 hours is not that usual. Also budget for extra accomodation, Florida state taxes, transport (a pushbike is good), books, flight test, area charts... the list goes on.

4. Keep in mind the aircraft - is your course going to be done in a 152 that lets you feel every single knot of wind and thermals?

5. Getting a PPL in 3/4 weeks is VERY hard work - there's very little time for sightseeing or hitting the beach.

6. Get the exams done BEFORE you leave the UK, or at least have all the study done so that taking the exams is the easy bit.