PDA

View Full Version : Where to go on first flight?

Kanu
9th May 2005, 11:10
Just curious what you all did as your first flight as a PPL holder? I’ve been mulling over a few things in my head, any idea’s would be appreciated.:ok:

Aussie Andy
9th May 2005, 11:51
Hi, my very first flight after getting the license was in the local area, on my own, merely enjoying the freedom I had earned!

The first real flight - a few days after that - was down to the Isle of Wight, together with a fellow recently-qualified PPL and my first passenger (a friend visiting from Australia). This was a great trip because a) it's a picturesque destination, including steep turns over the Needles; b) although there were scattered CB/showers around necessitating diversion, by having the two of us in the front-seats we were much more easily able to deal with this and remain confident (on my own I may not have departed, or may have turned back). I strongly recommend to all new PPLs to arrange such a "flying buddy" for early trips - it's twice the fun, for half the cost, and let's you safely stretch your boundaries!

Andy :ok:

LondonJ
9th May 2005, 12:18
Took Mum and Grandfather on a little local flight. After about 10 mins the cloud started coming down to 2000' about 3 oktas and I ran back to the airfield with my tail between my legs and forgot to put flap down on finals. :rolleyes: all that training paid off. (Passengers didn't seem to notice though)

Rupert S
9th May 2005, 13:29
I flew over to Cardiff (from Elstree). Nice flight, fairly straight forward and of course I had the red carpet waiting for me when I got there.

Flying Boat
9th May 2005, 13:52
My first 'proper' flight was from Jersey to Dortmund (Germany) & Deventer/Teuge (Holland) via Ostende where I picked up a Belgian friend.

Dodged gliders & eagles along southern Dutch Border, spoke to umpteen military & civilian ATC units & learnt how to 'really' expedite my descent.

Experienced poor weather on the way back & cancelling flight plans to re-route, enquiring over France about Jersey weather & cancelling waypoints/re-routing whilst en-route. 30 minutes after getting back to Jersey the airport was closed to VFR traffic.

Wonderful experience, recommend it to anyone.

How about going with a friend to Jersey? You buy VAT free fuel, get your VAT back on the fuel carried from England & get used to flying over water and International formalities.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

FB:ok:

italianjon
9th May 2005, 15:03
Second star to the right and straight on until morning...

(But get a Night Rating first... Not many stars out during daylight... )

High Wing Drifter
9th May 2005, 15:04
Blimey! I'm feeling inadequate. My first proper flight was Blackbushe, Grove, Hungerford, Blackbushe :ugh:

Aussie Andy
9th May 2005, 15:32
Flying Boat says: How about going with a friend to Jersey? Well, at my training club (http://www.bafc.co.uk) at least it is not permitted to fly across long water crossings until you have at least 10hrs dual IMC training under your belt.

The reason for this we are told is that low hrs PPLs can easily become disoriented in the "goldfish bowl" effect with uncertain horizons (grey sea / grey sky / haze). I think it would be prudent not to make a long sea crossing (beyond site of land) for your first outing post PPL!

(Of course if you trained at Jersey then it would be a different situation for you and presumably something you were well used to through necessity by then!)

Andy

Max AirFactor
9th May 2005, 15:43
My first flight was a check ride at a new outfit who didn't require a membership fee, or a 30 day currency. And it was my first ride in a 4 seater, GPS, etc. Second trip was solo round the Kent / West Sussex coast. Then I had planned to take the family up for a quick spin to see how the kids took to it.

However this was postponed by weather and instead we went on to plan B. Four up to Bembridge. That to me was the trip that confirmed I had achieved something with the PPL. You have to trust in your training and plan and double plan to take the loved ones in an old areoplane, across water to an unfamiliar airfield. It makes me smile to know I can take the kids to the IOW for an ice-cream.

MAF

Aussie Andy
9th May 2005, 16:19
It makes me smile to know I can take the kids to the IOW for an ice-cream ... and it's still one of my favourite trips for this reason! The kids (and the wife) prefer these sorts of destinations as it's "not just another bl**dy airfield" when we get there!

Kanu
9th May 2005, 16:37
Thank's for all the idea's:ok:

I think my flying club would require a check flight prior to going abroad to say Le touquet or Jersey. I can't see them needing a check to go to the IOW, so that stands out for me:O .

Aussie Andy
9th May 2005, 16:48
Kanu, I see from your profile you'll be heading down from Manchester area: maybe you should plan to stop somewhere en-route (e.g. White Waltham) to break up the journey and make it an even more enjoyable day out!

Good luck, and post us a note after you've done it!

Kanu
9th May 2005, 16:57
Good luck, and post us a note after you've done it!

I'll be sure to do that.

I notice there are two airfields to choose from on the Isle of Wight. Which one would you recommend?

shortstripper
9th May 2005, 17:44
They are both nice, but I think Sandown has the edge on friendliness. It can get a bit of a crosswind but it's nice forgiving grass. Bembridge is tarmac and very nice as well, so you can't go wrong really :O

SS :ok:

Aussie Andy
9th May 2005, 19:26
two airfields to choose I definitely prefer Bembridge I have to say... both are decent, and I have heard that Sandown has a new restaurant... but Bembridge is certainly very good in terms of service, and closer to a more interesting town (my wife and kids were very unimpressed with Sandown vs. Bembridge town).

Note however that the x-wind can be a fairly stiff at either - why not decide on the day based on which is most favourable (they're almost at 90 degress to each other, so one of them should be ok!)...

Established Localiser
9th May 2005, 19:36
I went to Caernarfon from Manchester Int EGCC.

Really enjoyed it took the wife so she could see where all the money was going :hmm:

EL

Flying Boat
9th May 2005, 22:27
Aussie Andy

Yes I did train at Jersey so I'm used to swimming like a goldfish.
That's why it is a better place to train?

Who is to say 'a friend' isn't better qualified, or even a commercial pilot?

I might be more adventurous than most, broke 100hrs abeam Pisa, returning from Rome.

Kanu,

I like the Isle of white too, from Manchester it will be an adventure. Have fun and start to reap the rewards of all your effort.

FB:ok:

Whirlybird
10th May 2005, 08:48
Kanu,

I'm not saying don't go to the IOW. But it's a long way from Manchester for a new PPL, and IMHO too much of a challenge for a first flight. If you have someone with you with a lot more experience, it's perhaps a different matter. But in any case, it will probably be further than you've ever flown before, and involve a water crossing, and involve dealing with weather unless you're very lucky...how often do we get good weather over the whole country for that long? And as I've said before on this forum, I think that ONE challenge at a time is enough in the beginning!

Many people are too cautious after getting their PPL, and won't leave the local area. But I suspect an equal number are over-confident. Why go to the IOW now? What's the rush? Do something more local first. Do something you feel reasonably happy with, that's maybe just a little more than you've done before as a solo student.

My first post PPL trip was Welshpool to Caernarfon, because I'd always wanted to do it. I managed to fly over the mountains to get there (PPLs who learn at Welshpool cut their teeth on mountain flying), but then the cloud increased and I had a long trek round the coast to get back. So even that was quite challenging.

If you take someone along, be careful who it is. I'd never flown into a large airport, and on a very early flight went to Cardiff with someone who I though was much more qualified. He flew down, and when he started flying us round a beacon in circles, I realised he was...confused. He had 185 hours, which sounded like a lot to me at the time. It isn't!

If you're in the Manchester area...
Caernarfon is a nice first destination. Or if you're thinking about the IOW, why not try somewhere part way - Shobdon, Wellesbourne, or Gloucester - then part of the trip will be familiar when you go further afield. Or if you learned at a small GA field, fly in somewhere big with full ATC, or vice versa. You have all summer for the long trips, so make haste slowly. :ok:

Kanu
10th May 2005, 14:11
You may be right there, although I'm flying out of Leicester so its not quite as far. If I did go Leic to IOW, I'd probably plan a stop at somewhere like Booker as it saves me having to dodge all the CTA's between Gloucester and IOW. :confused:

Interested to see you went to Welshpool. I started my PPL there and lost half my money when it closed down after 27 flying hours!:mad: I'd really love to meet the flying school owner again!

Whirlybird
10th May 2005, 16:29
I'd really love to meet the flying school owner again!

Rumoured to be at Tatenhill, some time ago, then in Warwickshire, and now seems to have gone to ground. Sorry to hear you lost your money. Several of us locals knew he was likely to disappear, and tried to let people know, but obviously we didn't know everyone. I got my PPL(A) in 1998, and I didn't pay up front anyway. Well, if it's any consolation, it really wasn't the world's best flying school anyway, and you're probably better off where you are.

CDH
10th May 2005, 18:12
What about the IOM. Not too far a flight from Manchester area.
We walked into Castletown the first time we went (it didn't look that far). Not a great deal to do there, so next time we got a taxi to Douglas.

Kanu
4th Jun 2005, 12:43
Quick post as promised.

Weather made my decision for me really. I went to Welshpool from Leicester with my dad. I am planning to go to IOW on Monday weather permitting. The Welshpool trip has boosted my confidence for the IOW flight as their was plenty of RT with Birmingham/Cosford & Shawbury.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I've posted a video of the landing at Welshpool in the video's thread.

Blinkz
4th Jun 2005, 13:41
Some good advice here. I've just got my PPL so am trying to decide what to do, altho I have just moved down south frm edinburgh so I'll need a check flight before I do anything, theres alot more airspace down here! :)

AerBabe
4th Jun 2005, 18:49
My first flight with my licence ended up being a taxi. By the time I'd got to the hold for departure, the cloud had dropped so far I couldn't go. I still logged it though!

The second flight was a local bimble with a friend. I had an alternator failure and had to limp back to the airfield. :rolleyes:

Speedtape
5th Jun 2005, 21:31
First flight post PPL - local followed a week later by a trip from Newcastle to Jersey via Bournemouth and thence onto Dinard. Couple of days flying around Britanny and then return to Jersey for a few days which ended in staying for a couple of extra days whilst we waited for the weather to improve at Newcastle before we could return home. My best mate who accompanied me was an instructor. Excellent:D

TheKentishFledgling
5th Jun 2005, 21:37
First flight post PPL was on my 17th birthday, with my mum, dad and sister as passengers.

Perfect!

tKF