PDA

View Full Version : how many hours do you need to fly during a year to keep current on a PPL?

Mangoboom
8th May 2005, 19:30
dear prunites

how many hours do you need to fly during a year to keep current on a PPL? and what happens if you havent logged any hours for over a year?

thanks

DubTrub
8th May 2005, 20:04
Mango, I suggest you edit your post title to give viewers a better brief of the subject matter...

Done. Brl.

Whirlybird
8th May 2005, 21:57
Legally....
You don't have to do ANY hours in the FIRST year after getting your PPL. In the SECOND year you have to do 12 hours, including 6 as PIC, and including an hour's biannual check with an instructor. If you don't do it you have to do a Skills Test.

Sensibly, and to keep current and safe....
You need to do considerably more than that. it depends on you, your experience, what sort of flying you want to do, and all sorts of other things. And I won't give a figure, as it would only be my opinion, and a load of other people will jump in and disagree anyway. :)

Whirlygig
8th May 2005, 22:02
and a load of other people will jump in and disagree anyway.

Yes, I disagree with that.

I agree with your post ;)

Cheers

Whirls

PS - the school from which I SFH (rotary) has a rule of 28 days currency - so, once a month seems to be OK for ME with a wee bit of a refresher before my LPC. But us flingwings have different rules.

BeauMan
10th May 2005, 12:00
The club I fly with also has a 28 day rule, imposed by the insurers I think. Personally, I drop that down by seven days and make sure I fly at least once every 21 days.

Whirlybird's answer re the second year is spot on.

NinjaBill
10th May 2005, 12:17
I would think that in order to stay safe and current in the first year or two after the issue of a ppl, you would need to fly in the region of 30 to 50 hours per year.