PDA

View Full Version : Aussie ATPL conversion to JAA

Aussie
8th May 2005, 13:24
Gday

just a quick one, i want to fly in europe.
Anyone converted their aussie Frozen ATPL to a JAA Frozen?

Whats the go? Is it worth just going over there and doing the APTL or get the Frozen ATPL in au, then go and convert?

Thanks

Aussie

LongRangeNav
9th May 2005, 07:27
Looked at doing UK ATPL and it is pretty longwinded.

If you have over 1500 hours command on a jet A/C over 30,000kg you can get away with just doing Air Leg and a licence skills test. If not you need to do all 14 exams and do a licence skills test on an aircraft that requires an ATPL.

I can not be sure but I think that if you have an Aussie ATPL they will convert it to a CPL. Maybe you can get a job with that but I think most commercial operators want a frozen ATPL.

Heard a rumour that some of the requirements may be relaxed but that was nearly 2 years ago and nothing's changed that I am aware.

As a suggestion write to Bristol Aviation, they do a great correspondance course and I am sure they will help you get the info. Also there is a lot of info on the CAA website.

Good luck, its a big world out there, and Australia is a very small fish bowl. A real eye opener once you get out and you will probably have a much quicker career progression.