PDA

View Full Version : Would anybody like a FREE.....

bobcox
8th May 2005, 12:03
excel based PLOG that automates much of the flight planning process?

I created this during my PPL studies, initially as a passive PLOG with typeface entries instead of handwriting, but it has evolved somewhat since.

I find it most useful and am happy to share it with fellow aviators.

For the purists, I am not advocating it replaces the manual calculation process but I suggest it may be used for cross-checking purposes - particularly useful when under time pressure.

It is available to anyone who PM’s me their email address to the following:

[email protected]

BobCox

Internet Explore users may see a preview by using the following link:

http://www.bobcoxwebspace.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PLOG%20v2%20Preview_files/frame.htm

bobcox
8th May 2005, 20:47
MISSING EGNJ COMMS FREQUENCIES

Thanks to one PPruner for pointing this out. I will update in the coming days.

I seem to have spent all day emailing copies out and the above mentioned omission has highlighted to me the need for a robust maintenance process.

I propose the following:

When I email you a copy of PLOG, I request that after evaluating it you send me an email to register your continued interest and become a member of a user group.

ONLY those who formalise their interest will receive updates.

Also please feel free to comment on any features you like / dislike / would like to see etc.

YOUR FEEDBACK IS IMPORTANT TO ME

Regards
BobCox

Sans Anoraque
14th May 2005, 02:45
A most excellent tool.

Thanks Bob

drauk
14th May 2005, 14:22
It's nicely designed and very comprehensive. Well done.

What would really improve it a lot is if it could calculate the track and distance between each of the waypoints entered automatically. My site, http://fly.dsc.net/u/Plan does it using a pretty large database of locations (over 2 million), but it would probably be impractical to have that much data in a spreadsheet. However, with a couple of minor modifications the site could be made to respond to a custom query directly from the Excel spreadsheet, returning either the lat/lon of the given waypoint, or the true track and distance between those points. This would be downloaded dynamically in to the spreadsheet, which could then provide all the other information that you currently calculate. Up to you if you think it is worth the effort...

Laundryman
14th May 2005, 17:03
I used it today for the first time and it was great unfortunately in my excitement I forgot to take my frequency table so I scapped the nav ex and stayed local. I spose I could have asked each station the frequency for the next but being proud didn't want the rest of the world to know I'm the idiot who left the frequencies behind.
On another point this for Bob really any chance of having the 'Comp Heading ' column highlighted say red so it stands out. Apart from that its fantastic, thanks.

bobcox
14th May 2005, 21:16
Drauk - Sounds exciting. Maybe we should exchange emails to discuss further.

Laundryman - after giving it some thought, I believe it best to stick with yellow for practical & safety reasons.

Most people use inkjet printers and most have one black cartridge & a 3-tone colour cartridge. When the black cartridge deteriorates we quickly replace it. However, most of us tend to live with a deteriorating colour cartridge even when one of the primary colours is empty. The result is a peculiar unpredictable tone. My point is this: If I made the Compass heading box red, I would most likely have to make the characters white for contrast. Now given a deteriorating situation as described above, it could be that the compass heading becomes unreadable. Now, by using black on yellow, a deteriorating yellow simply defaults to white (the paper colour) due to yellow being one of the 3-primary colours, but so long as the black cartridge is ok the compass heading remains legible.

I hope you accept this logic, but I am happy to create you a bespoke copy in Red if you still desire.

Bob

Laundryman
15th May 2005, 10:15
Hi Bob, I'm not fanatical about red but my printout didn't have that column highlighted at all, the only reason I mentioned red was to distinguish it from the white and yellow columns already on the form. Its not a problem I can get a highlight peneasily enough.

Thanks Brendan

bobcox
15th May 2005, 11:47
Laundryman,

I suspect you did not select "PRINT" mode in the blue box (ie you probably printed it in INPUT mode).

When PRINT mode is selected, the only items that remain "BRIGHT YELLOW" are Cruise Alt, IAS, TO, COMP HEADING, TIME and Time to be on Ground - thus differentiating these primary items from the rest.

I trust this helps

Bob

Laundryman
15th May 2005, 17:35
Thanks Bob, all is explained <:-))