PDA

View Full Version : AOPA Aerobatics Course

KCDW
7th May 2005, 09:19
Having checked AOPA's website, I can't find any definitive description of what it entails.

A number of clubs have descriptions on their websites, but no 2 seem to be the same: stating between 8 and 10 hours flying work.

They must have been given guidelines from somewhere. Can anyone help?

Had my introductory session yesterday. Stupid smile still on my face, which waned temporarily after Mrs KCDW's comment on hearing my emotive description of the experience:

"... sounds like a very expensive fairground ride to me".

May have to work on a new wife.

ps - do you pull 4Gs in rollercoasters?

Snakecharmer
7th May 2005, 17:53
The syllabus says 8 hours but expect variations in the standard hours quoted due to transit times to aerobatic areas and aeroplane performance. Ie. A Chipmunk situated 15 miles from its aerobatic practice area is likely to generate a longer course than an Extra on the doorstep!

There's also a variation in what an instructor will teach as a minimum. Some schools might teach the finale of the Course to be a sequence of 3 different manoeuvres, some may teach 6. Clearly, the latter will consume more hours in training.

I imagine most schools will have taken their particular circumstances into account prior to quoting a 'standard' length for a Course.

KCDW
7th May 2005, 18:11
Thanks Snakecharmer, do you have access to the official documented syllabus?

Flik Roll
7th May 2005, 18:24
The Samuri at Chessington/Thorpe Park pulls +4.5g and -5.5g (unsustained) at times, Colossus at Thorpe Park has some negative G in it. Dentonator also at Thorpe Park pulls 5.5g (which according to them is "the most g a body can take:oh:") Nemesis Inferno (TP) pulls 4.5g (but having been on it a fair few times in a row, I don't agree).

I'm a theme park/aerobatics junkie :E

Snakecharmer
7th May 2005, 18:30
Yes KCDW, I've got it in front of me... PM or e-mail / phone via the site if you'd like to know any more.

shortstripper
7th May 2005, 20:03
I love aerobatics, but roller coasters frighten the cr:mad: p out of me! :uhoh:

SS

Flik Roll
8th May 2005, 07:36
EG, Sounds awesome...will bear that in mind!

Legalapproach
8th May 2005, 10:17
egld0624,

As brakeman in the 4th placed four man bob in this years British Bobsleigh Championships I endorse a lot of what you say but the experience is for "+G junkies" If on your rides you are getting -G there's something seriously wrong.;)

For more information British Bobsleigh Association (http://www.british-bobsleigh.com/)

Legalapproach
8th May 2005, 14:27
Once braked a two man behind a mate who is a pilot (both bob and aeroplane) who managed to barrell roll the bob on the track at Igls. Overturned on one corner and then then righted itself when it plowed into the next.

Got my revenge at Lillehammer where after a run down the ice coach told me I was steering too hard and should relax and steer less. Result - relaxed a bit too much overturning on bend three and completing the entire course upside down!!

Of course, we could put together a Prune bob team. Any volunteers??:}