PDA

View Full Version : Turweston for Silverstone

Obs cop
6th May 2005, 20:19
I have got tickets for the World Touring Cars at Silverstone next weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has used Turweston as a means of getting to motor racing events at Silverstone.

There's only 5 miles between the two which is slightly too far to walk. My current plan is to fly in to Turweston, use a pre-booked taxi to get from Turweston to the circuit and then back again before flying home.

If anyone has done this before, I would be very grateful for any advice you could give.

Many thanks in advance

Obs cop

fox golf
6th May 2005, 22:04
Bit further than 5 miles by road I'd say but shouldn't take too long.
Certainly wouldn't consider walking.

Laundryman
6th May 2005, 23:57
Turweston certainly promote themselves as being THE place to fly into for Silverstone. Its a pity that Silverstone don't open their own runway which is right in the middle of the track looks perfectly serviceable asphelt once the tyres have been removed.

AerBabe
7th May 2005, 07:16
Just get there early so you don't sit in the queues, watching the charge escalate...

ozplane
7th May 2005, 09:10
Why don't you contact Turweston and see if they are running the service that operates during the Grand Prix? I believe they use 4wd vehicles to go X-cntry to the famous back gate that Bernie Eccleston was locked out of a couple of years ago. I envy you as I was due to go but family stuff took over. Hope the Aston Martin wins again.

max roll rate
8th May 2005, 09:02
HI Obs Cop
I am sure we can help you out at Turdy give me a call early in the week and I will see if we can sort you out some transport from the field rather then a taxi , as for the silverstone the runway is part of the short race track now , it is cleared for the British GP but I have seen no fixed wing action for a few years,shame it was fun when it was open we used to be able to enlarge our circuit and get 2 landings at 2 airfields for 1 circuit .

Tel 01280 705400

regards Chris Brown

Obs cop
8th May 2005, 19:34
Hi Chris,

called Turweston today (was it you?) and got a really positive response. Once I have a timetable for the racing, then I will be able to hone my plans further, but at the moment they are looking quite promising.

It is a shame about Silverstone, as recently as 2003 they were still in pooleys as having a fixed wing runway, but alas, it would appear that real estate is now needed for baby car racing or somesuch.

I'm sure it would ease some of the traffic problems at race meetings if it was still there although the landing fee of £50 was a little steep I fear.

Many thanks

Obs cop