PDA

View Full Version : Advice and charts for Carolinas/Virginia

knobbygb
6th May 2005, 10:39
Hi. I'm lucky enough to be going flying in the N.Carolina/Virginia area in June and want to do some pre-flight planning.

Does anybody have a spare Charlotte and/or Washington sectional they no longer need? I'm also looking for a Northeast Facilities Directory. Out of date stuff will be fine - obviosuly I won't use these for actual flight planning - just wanna take a look where I might go.

I don't expect freebies - I've got some out of date sectionals (Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Jacksonville and Miami) and AFD's which I'd be willing to swap. Failing that, I'm quite happy to send the appropriate number of beer-tokens through the post. :p

Also, has anyone who's flown that area got any pointers as to where I should visit? I'm definately going to KFFA (First Flight Airport) at Kill Devil Hills, but then I'm undecided between heading down the coast to Myrtle Beach and towards Savannah, or up towards the Appalachian Mountains. I've been spoilt by the number of 'interesting' destinations on previous trips in Arizona/California, so where's worth visiting in this area? I have 3 days, so nowhere too far afield.

Thanks. :ok:

david viewing
6th May 2005, 13:22
You can find all the charts you want at Maptech (http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=36.03056&lon=-75.67639&scale=25000&type=2&zoom=100&bpid=MAP0060030900%2C1%2C1%2C0&latlontype=DMS&searchscope=dom&CFID=339320&CFTOKEN=62360080) .

knobbygb
6th May 2005, 15:49
Thanks David - I'm actually on there now in another window. Thing is, it's not the same as actually spreading them out on the floor and drawing lines between places and sticking little stickers on the actual chart. Oh, and thanks once more for the Grand Canyon advice lat year.

The Greaser
6th May 2005, 15:55
Knobby,

As you say, first flight is a must as it is just a short walk up to the Wright monument and museum. From there it is a beautiful flight down the outerbanks down towards Wilmington and beyond. Going North West, the Charlottesville area is very beautiful with a lovely airport with all mod cons and conveniences.

Enjoy!

2Donkeys
6th May 2005, 16:59
I crossed the area in my recent Bahamas visit in my Trinidad.

Grand Strand (KCRE) and the surrounding neighbourhood looked superb and the service there was fantastic. I also heard good things about Florence Regional. I can't help you with the charts, I did the whole lot IFR on Jepps.

2D

Viliamu
11th May 2005, 16:08
Knobby,

I left you a response to the earlier posting you left in April. PM me if you need more info.

Cheers,

Viliamu

englishal
11th May 2005, 19:37
I haven't got any charts for Carolines Virginia, but I have seen a map of tazzy:}

(sorry couldn't resist. I'm sure a few Ozzys will get it.....its bad what a couple of glasses of red wine can do to you;) )