PDA

View Full Version : EK Pay Rise!!

Dune
4th May 2005, 15:04
Just got the announcement in my mailbox:

-8% increase in the basic scale effective 1st May 2005,
-3% contractual step increase effective 1st May 2005,
-10% increase in utility allowance effective 1st July 2005, and
-10% increase in the transport allowance effective 1st July 2005.

Great to see some movement forward after the price increases in DXB over the past few years. Maybe there is hope yet for this company?

Cheers!

White Knight
4th May 2005, 16:06
Dune - "transport allowance" I presume is for extra duties, ie sim, crm, recruitment. Just interested:ok: Just going to check my BOX now!!

MR8
4th May 2005, 16:10
Weird, I received nothing in my inbox.. unless you're talking paper version in your pigeonhole at CBC...

Better then nothing...

Quod Boy
4th May 2005, 16:17
Well,well.Long overdue step in right direction.At last.

Off to the pub.QB:cool: :cool: ;)

Dune
4th May 2005, 17:01
Affirm:

In your mailbox at the CBC. And yes the transportation allowance is for those who get the extra transportation allowance for office duties, sim, etc.

4th May 2005, 17:30
You gotta love EK

All day in the office today and I find out about the biggest thing for the year on proon.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though.

turtleneck
4th May 2005, 17:41
Come on guy's, some enthusiasm!
To cite the late Marty Feldman:
"Could be worse, could be raining."

Trashed Aviator
4th May 2005, 18:09
Now if only they'd treat us nicely.........:ok:

4th May 2005, 18:41
Does anyone know if it was company wide?

SandIgger
4th May 2005, 21:35
You shouldn't have deleted that post, 7X7, it's probably quite relevant.

The question was:

Hopefully EVERYONE ELSE in the company is also benefitting from a nice pay-rise. :ok:

And does 8 (+ contractual 3) = an 11 for everyone else?

Who knows. Who cares... we can eat again. I'll take the dough with thanks but I hope no one calls it something it isn't. The wife's already spent mine anyway.

10% extra utilities. I guess that means those pilots evicted from company accomodation earlier on will be able to move back into their old digs, soon. Excellent news!!

[Last edited by SandIgger on 5th May 2005 at 05:40]

guybrush
5th May 2005, 00:40
"Could be worse, could be raining."

Rain? In Dubai? In the Arabian Peninsula?:} :}

donpizmeov
5th May 2005, 04:06
You are not very smart are you guybrush?

Don

ironbutt57
5th May 2005, 05:25
The rain in Al Ain falls mainly on my plane.....yes it does rain in the UAE, although most of it misses Abu Dhabi, and seems to hit Dubai, and Al Ain....and look out for the car wrecks!!!:}

Andu
5th May 2005, 05:29
It actually is raining this morning... spitting, anyway (my Gullfnewz got wet). So, turtleneck, what does that do to Marty Feldman's line about how things stand here? Are they worse?

As someone said in a post that has since gone missing, I'll be interested to see if the rest of the company got an 11% pay rise or and 8% pay rise.

Vagrant
5th May 2005, 05:42
Guys, have not seen the document yet, so not sure of the wording. Is it definitely 8%+3%, or is it fashioned to look that way, but really 8% inclusive of the 3% increment?

Just curious

V

Cerberus
5th May 2005, 06:23
Delighted to receive something but worried that it won't make any difference to our recruitment and potential retention problem.

Perspective...an interesting thing! When I made my decision to come to Dubai, I ran through all of the points (plus and minus) and then took the leap. This 'payrise' made me revisit my joining assumptions.

When I came here, the exchange rate was somewhat different but I made all my assumptions in GB Pounds. Then, the 16,000 AED on offer came to £2950. I was expecting a payrise on promotion to 23,500AED or £4270 and now I'd have been on about £4500 with No change to the scale i.e. payrise. Now with our newly announced 'payrise' I will be on £4120. So after over 5 years service and a command it adds up to £1120. Or put another way, £380 less than I expected when I was being pessimistic and assuming no payrise all those years ago.

I know that the exchange rate change isn't Emirates' fault but the UAE government have tied the Dirham to the Dollar and recognise the cost pressures that this have caused the local economy. Thats why they increased the pay of government employees. (15% for ex-pats, 25% for locals!)

So we get 8% or half of the government ex-pat worker's payrise even though we are owned by the government. It seems that EK have tossed out a bone to see who will bite and hope that it will stem the unrest and suddenly make them more attractive on the global stage. It can't hurt; but I would be surprised if it is seen as anything other than papering over the cracks. I hope I am wrong!

Cerberus:ugh:

desert_knight
5th May 2005, 06:33
Well done and good luck to you all (Pilots).

Haven't heard any news of a payrise for us non flying types as yet, but fingers crossed we will get al LEAST as much you!

Cerberus,

I aggree the exchange rate is a bummer at the moment, but at least EK does have in place the ERP scheme which helps offset some of the pain - unless you send more than half your salary home to the UK.

I think if you saw how poorly paid (in general) government workers are, you wouldn't feel quite so hard done by.

Cheers

sluggums
5th May 2005, 08:43
Sorry to say, it's still too little too late, yes the raise is welcome, but it only drags us a little closer to where we finacially should be.

Inflation in Dubai over the last couple of years has certainly been greater than 8%, the management of EK have managed to pour a little water on the flames of malcontent, but it's not enough.:yuk:

145qrh
5th May 2005, 09:00
4 weeks bonus , and 8% pay rise........

Don't need to say any more .....numbers speak for themselves...

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

MR8
5th May 2005, 09:13
8% payrise equals 28.5 days, ie 4 weeks.

4 weeks + 8% is still only 8 weeks of 'bonus' for this year.

Don't think inflation was more then 8% over a year, what doesn't mean big correction was due anyhow for the guys being here longer.

Personally, being here since last spring, this payrise id 'ok' for me, just 'ok'.

BTW, how does the 3% rule wotk, are you supposed to get that in your 'joining' month, or does the whole company gets this at the same time??

bulkhold
5th May 2005, 11:52
Well done Emirates management. This will keep your drivers happy and raise their morale !

soompak
5th May 2005, 11:59
Lucky Emirates Pilot. You all deserve it.

Cerberus
5th May 2005, 13:32
DK,

You are right, ERP is a good system and I am not complaining. However, like most of the mechanisms in place it seems to be a bit of smoke and mirrors. It is supposed to protect half your salary but I have never been very sure how it operates, I don't know if anyone does. Looking on the brightest side, the exchange rate has effected my salary by about -£1000 yet the ERP delivers £270. That looks like about a quarter but there you go. (In dirham terms it works out at 7% or so of my salary) Lets hope the dollar strengthens before I have to take the massive gratuity.:ok:

FBS

You do them a disservice; they are much smarter than that. They have already clawed it back. The change to credit rules increased the O/T target by over 8%. The basic salary has gone up but every time I take leave or do a ground duty I lose more than the new rise in lost overtime. At least we don't have to hear TCK announce 'well done chaps, you have got a 19% pay rise including your increment, profit share and scale change!' Finally I see why AAR said it was a cost neutral measure!

Cerberus

sanddancer
5th May 2005, 13:38
ERP is a good scheme, however, it was fiddled with and now has a cap on the amount it will pay out. (1340 AED from memory)

My salary is worth a lot less in home currency terms since I came out to DXB - which, when you still have financial commitments at home, is a real pain.

AirNoServicesAustralia
5th May 2005, 23:08
Not saying you guys don't deserve a payrise but as a humble UAE area controller I would give my left testicle for 4,000 pounds a month. I know we don't fly aircraft so comparing apples and oranges, but I could only dream of a salary like that, and not to mention the standard of accomodation and the allowances....ah well.

Ghostflyer
6th May 2005, 04:55
ANSA,

Sadly mate so would most of the F/Os, they start on about £2500 or so even with the increase. This place only works financially if you get a quick command and that explains why there has been so much disappointment over changed T&Cs, delayed commands and DECs. A lot of guys joined EK coz they couldn't stand to wait back home and are now worried they'll get stuck here too.

Allowances are not worth worrying about, I can't remember the last time I came back from a trip cash in hand and I am a SLOT down route. Just to put another spin on things; I ended up coveting one of SERCO's ATC compounds in Dubai because of the lifestyle they enjoyed. Even with our 'big bucks:bored:', if you have a family, you end up asking whether you really want to live in a house with a bigger living room than garden?

The lesson for both of us is that if we really want some cash we should go and be a manager.

Ghost :oh:

AirNoServicesAustralia
6th May 2005, 08:39
I ended up coveting one of SERCO's ATC compounds in Dubai because of the lifestyle they enjoyed.

We all covet the Dubai ATC housing, none more than us UAE area guys who live in highrise flats in Abu Dhabi.

flybystring
6th May 2005, 10:28
On the subject of ERP, I am not sure anybody realises that the base exchange rate for your home country is taken as the average exchange rate over the preceeding three years since the months pay you are about to recieve is calculated. The ERP is Capped at a differential of 15%. THe ERP is then applied to 50% of your salary.

If the exchange rate of your home currency has now hit the ERP Limit . ie 15% on 50% of your salary. If you assume the exchange rate remains the same from now on for the next three years, your ERP will be worth 0 in three years time.

It will actually happen sooner as the dollar fell a year ago..

Any corrections welcome

BigGeordie
6th May 2005, 11:42
flybystring, that is exactly the way I understand it works.

Cyberbird
6th May 2005, 12:14
.... as i see it from the sandpit:

.. for most of the ExPat-Pilots was this - much les than expected - payrise, a slap in the face!
I know for sure, that the CV's are sent out today, just after that incremental increase in buying power, in large numbers! You bet !:{

Ghostflyer
6th May 2005, 13:43
SS,

You can't speak hieroglyphics? (Mind you I probably can't spell it!)

Ghost:p

White Knight
6th May 2005, 17:47
It's alright SS - stick to cleaning the bogs:{ :{

guybrush
6th May 2005, 18:28
Hey all!

Now I do not want to be rude to anyone, especially that I do not live in Dubai (and most probably I would've killed someone by now if I were in EK pilots' shoes), but don't you think you have been complaining for a tad too long? Ever since I joined PPRUNE, complaints have dominated EK topics (and other Gulf airlines as well).

I truley do not mean to offend any Ek emloyee, but whining about things won't improve them.

guybrush

max AB
6th May 2005, 20:41
Dunny Brush, no offence taken. Now go back to the kid's forum and let the Mums and Dads talk in peace.

4HolerPoler
7th May 2005, 12:48
Folks, Mr. Brush has quite clearly abused the courtesy extended to non-aviation professionals on this site and I have removed his privileges. Like the proverbial "floater" in the loo, he may pop up in another guise but he should expect the same consideration should he again choose to criticize the members.

Let's get on with the topic - great news on the pay rise - sadly not enough to be meaningful but better than nothing.

4HP

ratpoison
7th May 2005, 16:33
Well, a "floater" is an indication of a healthy diet. !
Actually, that might be worth discussing on a new post. !!????

helen-damnation
8th May 2005, 06:05
TCAS RA

''Descend.... descend NOW'':O :O :O

Sorry, couldn't resist!;)