PDA

View Full Version : GB Airways

LGWcrew
4th May 2005, 09:07
Just a quick post to warn anyone thats thinking about joining GB Airways to be sure before you do. Regardless about what any of the staff say, its not a nice airline to work for. Most of the crew really dont want to be there but find that they are unable to leave because they are bonded for a year and would have to pay £600 if they leave. The only crew that like it are the ones that think they are BA Crew but really just work for a cheap tacky low cost airline that have to use the identity if another airline because they would never survive alone.

you are much better off working for easyjet or one of the charters where the working conditions are much better and the monney is a lot better.

pacific.heights
4th May 2005, 09:54
Well, i stayed only 6 months at GB (that was before the bond thing) because i did not enjoy it. They work hard but i work even harder now so it's not so much the problem.

The problem has to do with money. LGW crew get crap money and it's difficlut to survive with this kind of salary when living in London (plus the commuting).

People are not over friendly and as you have said, the ones who think who work for BA are the worst.

However, i dont think it is a low cost and the service (well that was 2 years ago) was quite good, passengers were usually quite happy with the service.

I think GB is good as a stepping stone but hardly as a career.

The positive thing with GB is that roster disruption is rare and crewing has still a human face.

Wannabe Flyboy
4th May 2005, 14:23
As a passenger, what I don't understand is how I hear that GB are such a bad company to work for, yet when I travel with them the crew are brilliant and the product offered is by far better than mainline BA.

Pin Head
4th May 2005, 14:48
Well thats not rally difficult to achieve!

ILS26L
5th May 2005, 22:37
GB Airways obviously isn't the best airline to work for, but some of the benefits (BA Concessions) are great. Pay is slighty below average, but the worse aspect is that the staff in the office has gone downhill... Crewing rely on favours due to staff shortage, but will not return these favours to you, apart from the fact that you receive apauling arrogant treatment should you reporting unwell for a flying duty. all this as mentioned previously, due to staff shortage. There is absolutely no recognition towards seniority, and should you decide to initiate a career within this airline, you'll soon feel used and undervalued as they don't recognise your efforts when you decide to apply for promotion. (very false impression within that office).
Therefore, most of the staff working there are very professional, and as you can read in this thread, should you fly with GB, you'll receive good treatment from the crew....but the airline can't keep their valued crew. High turnover of staff ! Rosters are busy with over 90 Block hours per month during the busy summer, but must admit, crew are really friendly within the airline, and you usually have nice days out.

thomas_ba
6th May 2005, 00:05
Any night stops with this company?

ILS26L
6th May 2005, 08:04
tou get the odd AGP and FAO with minimum rest and 3 sectors on either side. If you are LHR Preference Report, you have nice stays in RAK

storm_animal
7th May 2005, 10:01
hey LGWcrew you say that easyJet are better to work for, have you ever worked for easy? True the money is good, but you are treated like a slave. The crew at easy are great! shame about the company and management in luton though its getting worse and worse and Im glad I jumped ship!

ILS26L said about 90 hours in summer which is not bad at all when at easyJet you could easly do around 130+ hours/month and well over 60 sectors a month. :sad:

PropellerPaul
7th May 2005, 10:30
Storm_Animal.. I work for easyJet up north and I think I've only ever had one roster, with 6o sectors on, in the whole four years I've been there. I've been in aviation for over 15 years and I have to say that there have been alot worse companies to work for. I know it's no excuse, but the managers at easyJet are pretty much the same as any other airline. I think you'll find & in alot of cases, they're actually better than most. I couldn't go and work for another shorthaul airline & earn the sort of money I'm on now (apart from 'Airways') As I always say, it's 'horses for courses' depending on which airline you work for.. But remember 'The Futures Bright, The Futures Orange' :ok:

storm_animal
7th May 2005, 18:34
hey paul..!

yeah I know other bases especially regional ones are very good at easyJet. Although LGW is very very bad, its undercrewed, there are so many crew who are grounded becasue they have reached their 900 hours per year max and as a result they are working many crew who are not near the 900 hours mark to death with constant minimum rest and 6 x 4 sector days.

OZcabincrew
8th May 2005, 09:02
the airline i work for, its a minimum of 120+ hours a month anyway that you HAVE to work and that can include 4 sector days etc, so 90 hours isn't a lot

ILS26L
8th May 2005, 09:22
Hey Oz..,

If what you clainm is correct, you could only fly 7,5 months before you reached you maximum authorised 900 hours. So basically, you'd have 7.5 tough months and then 4,5 months of standby's!! That would suit me !

The main problem with GB is just the mentality of the people working in that office. The only base supervisor with a bit of sense between her ears is off the a new base. Crew needs are constantly ignored and morale is definitly low due to the poor working conditions. When crew approach the managers offering ideas and solutions in order to increase morale without incurring extra expenses, they are dismissed right away and simply ignored. And it just seems that the airline does it on purpose to go that extra mile to upset and deteriote the morale by deducting discrepencies from the duty free from the crew's pay, not recognising exceptional work and when crew go beyond their call of duty.

I am a strong believer that if you are in an excellent working environment and you feel valued, respected and listened too, morale would definitly increase.