PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Geurnsey or Alderney?

cortilla
4th May 2005, 01:23
Going to the channel isles for a bit of a jolly next week, and was originally planning to go to alderney. Had a quick look in my Aerad and saw that Alderney does not have an ILS. Anyways not too bothered about that, seeing as i am fairly current in most type of approaches, but i'm just wondering, which of the three fair isles should i go and spend my hard earned cash in?

edited for spelling mistake

Captain101
4th May 2005, 02:48
Alderney is a good one.

Good practice for your proceedural timed NDB (no DME) approach.
800m ish of tarmac with a cliff at one end.
Good views on the approach on a nice day.
Everybody is friendly apart from ATC who are under the delusion that it is in some way a major international airport!
Good night stop location - everthing within walking distance.

Jersey - the aeroclub do fantastic bacon roles and great coffee also I believe it's free landing fee's if you fill up.
Harder to get around and a bit more expensive than Alderney.
Approachwise expect a RV ILS (boring!)
Nice approach over the coast onto the easterly runway.

Have fun.

nouseforaname
4th May 2005, 06:19
I've been to Alderny twice and Guernsy once. I preferred Guernsy, good restaurant on the Harbour but v. pricey forget what it was called.

Restaurants etc. are limited in Alderny...have a good trip

Johnm
4th May 2005, 12:31
nousforaname wrote >>Restaurants limited in Alderney<<

Just had a quick count in my head, came up with 6 restaurants and 11 pubs on an Island 3 miles by 1.5 and I know I've forgotten some!

cortilla
4th May 2005, 13:38
The main objective of the little jolly is lunch for myself and two mates, so a nice restaurant or a place that does a good pub lunch is an absolute must.:ok:

African Drunk
4th May 2005, 14:47
Currently no fuel in Alderny.

cortilla
5th May 2005, 16:23
Finally decided on going to Guernsey. The lack of fuel at Alderney meaning i'd have to fly there anyways, and so don't want to pay twice etc. Can anyone tell me what the landing fee is (like i said i will be taking on fuel). Also where can i expect to park when i get there, the Aero club? Do i have to call them beforehand to make arrangements? Cheers for any info about the place, oh and apologies for misspelling Guernsey in my original post.

Flying Boat
5th May 2005, 21:25
Guernsey is nice but..........................

Before filing your flight plan consider Jersey!

If you are considering flying on Sunday you can have a 3 course Sunday Lunch for around £12 each whilst sitting on the balcony watching your aviation pride & joy. Also you would observe all the action at the threshold of RWY27.

If you wanted to eat further into the island I can recommend several Restaurants:
St Aubins: Old Court House Bistro (downstairs) & Restaurant (upstairs); Salty Dog Bistro; Harbour View (Tapas); Blue Fish 2; Ker Francois (Bretonne Cuissine, might not be open, very individualistic).
St Helier: Bistro Central (French), La Cappanina (Very H.Q. Italian), Pizza Express (General ambiance is better than UK).
St Brelade's: Zanzibar, Jambo's (Chinese), Pizza Express.

More info on the Jersey TB website:
http://www.jersey.com/Food/index.asp?bhcp=1

Before you decide look at the Jersey Aero Club's website:
http://www.jerseyaeroclub.com/

If you want to partake in BDSM & do an NDB approach, let ATC know you will do that approach on your flight plan form; you can find the plates on:
http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/egjj.htm

Whatever you decide, have a good trip.

TTFN

FB:ok:

CaptAirProx
6th May 2005, 12:49
ALderney ATC are fantastic. They just don't put up with pilots who blatantly ignore ATC instructions. I have never had a problem with them, quite the reverse!

As to EGJB or EGJJ, Jersey wins everytime. Good club, good parking, an airport that is not "way above its station" like Guernsey. That airport is full of jobsworths. At jersey you bypass the lot by being handled by the flying club. And as said, get a taxi to St Aubins. Loads of restuarants on the sea front. And if you run out of time, or need to entertain the pax whilst refuelling etc, the aero club has a good bar with the views as described above...........

Zulu Alpha
7th May 2005, 18:10
I enjoy all 3 islands.

Jersey used to have an £8 landing and up to 48 hr parking via the aeroclub.

I believe that Guernsey and Jersey aeroclubs have special hire car rates. Last time I hired a car for a day for £18. This gives you much more flexibility than taxis.

I would say that Alderney is like going back in time and is a very interesting, pretty but small island. It currently has no fuel available. However they used to have a special free landing deal at Jersey if you went there for fuel so you could go to Alderney and then pop over to Jersey have a look and refuel.

Guernsey is very pretty with lots of lanes and wild flowers.

Jersey is the most commercial and has many more tourists.

I would suggest a call to the aeroclubs as they have some good deals for visiting pilots.

Enjoy yourself

Stripholderloader
7th May 2005, 19:19
Why don't you do what we are doing next week :D

Alderney for breakfast, Guernsey for afternoon tea, Jersey for dinner and then back to White Waltham for some beers.....

:ok:
Regards
SHL

Don't forget to claim your fuel drawback!