PDA

View Full Version : Can Relatives Travel on the flight deck in US?

esra
3rd May 2005, 16:32
I have heard a rumour that relatives can still travel on the flight deck jumpseat in the US.

Is this the case?

If so can the UK D.O.T change the ruling on jumpseat travel?

SeniorDispatcher
3rd May 2005, 17:12
>>>I have heard a rumour that relatives can still travel on the flight deck jumpseat in the US. Is this the case?

Nope.

flightlevel430
3rd May 2005, 17:20
Only 4 very lucky categories of folks get to fly an active flightdeck
for passenger airlines in the US.
(In no particular order)
1) The assigned Flightdeck Crew who will operate the flight.
2) FAA Inspectors
3) Deadheading pilots on other airlines, whose companies have specific agreements in place (between the two airlines, subject to FAA, TSA, etc. approval), only under very specific conditions, and subject to capn discretion.
4) Employees of the airline operating the aircraft, who hold A&P licenses, only under very specific conditions, and subject to capn
discretion.
Up front rides very limited these days. :(

catchup
3rd May 2005, 17:27
Is the U.K D.O.T. remote controlled by U.S. Gouverment?

Regards

Idunno
3rd May 2005, 18:15
What about crew seats in the cabin, do they get to use those?
Do the FAA audit these rules?

RRAAMJET
3rd May 2005, 19:41
Grnd school + Sim instructors, as well, (same airline), Secret Service + "employees and senior execs as authorized by the VP Flight"....

Our CEO is getting well known for riding the jumpseat occasionally; he's a commercial pilot as well.

Cheers

ArcticTurn
3rd May 2005, 22:55
"Is the U.K D.O.T. remote controlled by U.S. Gouverment?"

No, but our Prime Minister is.

Funny Saskatoon. Maybe not after May 5 eh?

ShotOne
5th May 2005, 14:55
...WE WISH!

But on the original subject, I did hear that there was an accredition scheme within some airlines where spouses of crew could be security vetted (at their own expense) and issued with an ID card after which they were allowed to use the jumpseats. Sounds sensible. Is this in fact the case or has someone got their wires crossed?

t-bag
6th May 2005, 10:26
I believe Austrian amongst other european airlines are allowing this, its about time the CAA woke up and allowed commonsense to take over- I cant even take my father who managed to fly 24000 hours without the urge to hijack himself onto my flightdeck- MAD.

Corporal Jones
6th May 2005, 14:45
Oh how I miss those days (and nights) of jump-seat travel. A Captain friend who I was speaking to last month said that the Flight deck crews do aswell! The used to look forward to a new face at the front to break up the monotony of staring out into the sky!
:D

Onan the Clumsy
8th May 2005, 02:49
I thought the ATC chaps could ride as well...

Turkish777
6th Jun 2005, 19:42
An English couple I know which boarded a Delta Flight LGW to MCO (Via ATL) a few months ago had one of the flight attendants take their kids up to the flight deck, I was most suprised when I was told that, as someone said above it's meant to be just the 4 mentioned.

as737700
7th Jun 2005, 02:04
I've flown on the same flight as my brother (737 FO for Alaska), and eventhough the flight was nearly full, I still couldn't ride jumpseat. So, no..it's a rumor

The Real Slim Shady
8th Jun 2005, 14:22
The company I work for has a facility, but we don't go to the US - Caribbean only, which allows us to nominate 1 person for jumpseat travel.

Believe that KLM Captain's have Jumpseat passes which they can issue to people known to them.