PDA

View Full Version : Variability in costs for a PPL

QantasEagle
2nd May 2005, 15:54
I was stimulated by a thread under Flight Academy Scotland to think more about the actual costs of getting a PPL and more importantly the variability in costs between different schools.

I looked at the costs across different flying schools in one area, ie Scotland, prompted by all the correspondance under the thread as mentioned above. It was extremely interesting and very informative to do this and I think of importance for anyone learning to fly.

To do this I have made the following assumptions (not far off the mark I think) and applied them to all schools:

1. 45 hours of training (the minimum and most need more in reality)
2. 6 hours in the circuit with a total of 30 touch and go's (took me more than that!)
3. Equipment, £500 (perhaps too much but applied to all schools)
4. Medical, skill test and radio test fees, £500

Now what did I turn up?? The total costs putting all this together are as follows (these are rough costs and I accept that they can vary but its a guide and its what I have been able to glean for a friend!)

Aberdeen (Flight Acad Scot) £7,800
Cumbernauld (Flight Acad Scot) - £5,550
Edinburgh Flying School - £6,500
Fife (Glenrothes) - £4,770
Glasgow Flying School - £7,419
Highland Flying Club (Inverness)- £4,490

Now, that shows that the difference between the least expensive and the most expensive is about £3,400!!!!! That is amazing for a small country like Scotland! But let me know if anybody calculates it differently becausde I have no affiliation to any organisation.

What about the USA - well, for example, Orlando Flight Training offers completion in 21 days and INCLUDES all costs as well as ACCOMODATION for about £3,162.

We all know there is more to learning to fly than just the costs - but, hey, its a key feature and all schools are JAA approved aren't they??

However, Fife and Highland were a pleasure to discuss this with and were extremely helpful, but the others were too busy and I have taken the costs as best I can from their websites etc - perhaps that is important ?

What are other views on this?

bladewashout
2nd May 2005, 19:05
Having done OFT training and UK based training, I'd say that in this case you get what you pay for!

Also, the US course isn't for everyone, very intense, little time for reflection.

BW

QantasEagle
2nd May 2005, 19:10
OFT was just an example there are many schools in the USA with different reputations - I trained elswhere in the USA and had a first class experience. In fact it was better than the training in Scotland!

However, the basic point of my fact-finding is that there is a massice variation in costs within Scotland which people should be aware of when chosing a flying school.

Clearly there are other issues, quality etc which need to be considered. However, £3,400 difference is a huge difference for many people and may be the difference between being able to undertale training and not.