PDA

View Full Version : BA A320 packs protocol.

retard-retard
2nd May 2005, 10:06
Can anyone (expecially BA A320 pilots) advise me on the packs protocol, i.e, taxi,pre-take off, take off, climb out & criuse please?

Thanks.

Mark.

NigelOnDraft
2nd May 2005, 10:20
Easy - On

There is some blah about a performance limiting take-off requiring Packs Off. But have never done one, and would have to read it up in the unlikely event of needing it...

NoD
[BA 320 Capt]

retard-retard
2nd May 2005, 10:27
Cheers NoD,

that's exactly what I thought, that they were disabled for T/O for performance reasons.

However I do recall that in a certain IEA flight deck video the Capt. does call for 'packs off' for T/O and then when settled at CLB calls for 'pack 1 on'?

I just guess all operators have different potocol?

Thanks.

Mark.

390cruise
2nd May 2005, 10:39
Many operators including my lot always select packs off
just before take off and back on again after thrust
reduction. This allows a greater flex thrust decrease
and thus benefits to a longer engine life.

(No idea what it does to pack life!)

longarm
2nd May 2005, 13:44
My lot also do packs off on our A320/1's (A320 - CFm, A321 - IAE) for all take off's. Both packs go on after thrust reduction. As 390cruise says this is for better engine life (Mainly IAE).

Dream Land
2nd May 2005, 17:35
Believe the A320 family was originally designed (tight cabin) for bleeds off takeoffs, helps to follow this procedure to avoid exceeding EGT limits on hot days with older engines that no longer have much of a EGT margin.

Dream Land:cool:

retard-retard
3rd May 2005, 08:18
I always believed it was packs off until thrust reduction also.

Seems BA can afford to wear their engines out sooner :)

Thanks for the replies.

Mark.

TopBunk
3rd May 2005, 08:58
BA's IAE engined A319/320/321 are on a power-by-the-hour lease, I believe. The amount paid varies according to the Flex temp used for take off. The aircraft are rarely performance limited and the flex temps used on the A319's usually 70+deg C. Frequently this means that amount of thrust used for take off equates to climb thrust. The A320's and A321 do use a bit more, but the flex is still usually above 50deg C (from memory).

retard-retard
3rd May 2005, 14:04
So does that back up NoD's post that the packs (BA) are never turned off?

Preppy
3rd May 2005, 14:07
Yes - NOD is 100% correct, as usual.
:)

moleslayer
3rd May 2005, 15:49
bmi sop also requires a normal takeoff using 'packs on'.
This method is more comfortable for the passengers (correct operation of aircon & pressurisation).

If performance is limited, then the apu bleed is selected 'on', this shuts off the engine bleed feed to the packs.

If apu air is not available, then the traditional 'packs off' method is used.

moley.

retard-retard
4th May 2005, 00:24
So why such a varying difference?

Would I be right again in sighting specific airline SOP's?