PDA

View Full Version : Norton/Vundo B virus

BALIX
1st May 2005, 16:54
There is a problem with my son's PC. There is a permanent window courtesey of Norton Anti Virus informing him that the virus Vundo B has been found in file windows\inf\nutc.dll.

It states that Norton is unable to repair the file but that is it. Clicking the OK button or the X button to close the window does not do anything, the window remains on top of any other open window. He has gone through the process of deleting the appropriate registry entries as suggested by the Symantec web site but the window just keeps coming back.

The virus is a trojan but I'm guessing that the problem is in the Norton software rather than the virus itself. However, unistalling and then reinstalling Norton doesn't help.

Any clues?

BALIX
1st May 2005, 20:24
Mike

Thanks, but we've tried that. Still get the warning.

BALIX
2nd May 2005, 21:29
Update:

The problem seems to have solved itself. Don't know how - we ran the removal tool again which clearly stated that the virus was not found. But the continuous window disappeared and hasn't come back.

Thanks for the tips Mike, I will file them for future reference.

drizzle
2nd May 2005, 21:48

For anyone else with this problem the following worked for me with the vundo.b trojan/virus in XP

1 Turn off Systems Restore
2 Download the norton removal tool as stated above
3 Start up in safe mode
4 Run a nortan scan as usual
5 Run the removal tool software
6 Reboot as normal

It may be necessary to try the safe mode scans and reboots several times. I also deleated the registry entries as suggested by norton.

I got rid of the bugger but it took the best part of a weekend

Grrrrrr