PDA

View Full Version : Vila Real de San Antonio airfield (Portugal)

Trislander
1st May 2005, 13:48
Hiya,

Was recently down on the Spanish/Portuguese border on the coast and understand there used to be an airfield in this town. I coulden't find it when I was there and was told it no longer exists. Can anyone confirm this, and what was it used for? I'm guessing it was for banner towers? Got an apartment down there so would be handy to fly down to if it is still there!

As far as I can see the only airfield in the area now is Faro now Vilamoura has been turned into a golf course.

Thanks for your help, Tri :ok:

ABO944
1st May 2005, 14:54
Hello Trislander

Vila Real is a lovely place .... lucky bugger!

Have a look at the link below!

Sorry, its in Portuguese .... but im sure you fala Portuguese!!

http://www.pelicano.com.pt/zp_praiaverde.html

;) :O :D

soares
6th May 2005, 19:19
Hi there....

In case you donīt know how to read in Portugese...

The aerodrome is opened....however use of it is to the pilotīs responsability.

I visited the wunway a couple of months ago and found it to be in an awful state. It is full of holes and grass is growing every where. Nowadays it is not used for banner towers as it used to be.

Personally i woulndīt leave an aircraft there anyway at night. There is no hangar and road access is not the best as well.

If you need any help just let me know.....I live in Portugal.

Best regards,

David

nouseforaname
7th May 2005, 15:46
David,

slightly away from the topic of this thread but i'm hoping to fly down to Portimao in the near future. Probably for a week in July, my uncle has a place in Alvor.

Do you think it would be safe for leaving a plane in Portimao?

Also as regards customs what are the customs like down there, should I be prepared to be impounded if I can't produce something they want. I'm always a bit sceptical about foreign customs!

thanks, TD

md 600 driver
8th May 2005, 09:42
portimao has 4/5 hangers and people do leave there aircraft out
but cany comment on the airfield
i am taking a gazelle down there in august/july
steve

Trislander
8th May 2005, 10:23
Thanks so much for your help, doesn't look like the picture I had in my mind!! I'll try contacting the operator to see what state the strip is in now or whether it is likely to be improved in the not too distant future.

Obrigado!!:ok:

snchater
8th May 2005, 10:48
Left my C182 at Portimao for a week last July - no problems. Fuel and maintenance available and ATC helpful with manatory flight plans - good co-operation with Faro. Not a customs airport so you need to arrange if G-reg and arriving/leaving Portugal.
Check performance when OAT is 47C and watch out for sink when using westerly runway.