PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Airmap 1000 - I bought one

tmmorris
1st May 2005, 08:10
After asking on here if anyone had one I could look at, and getting a deafening silence in reply, I bought one anyway... so if anyone wants to know more, PM me and I'll give you the gen.

Basically a fine piece of kit, expensive here (but I got mine in the US), and you need to buy the additional UK map to get really good mapping (but then it's fantastic, street-level if you zoom in far enough). But really well made and with some excellent features.

Tim

S-Works
1st May 2005, 09:00
Lowrance make well specced if unreliable kit. I ran the marine versions on my boats and it got so bad for reliability that I ended up keeping 2 sets. One for in use and one always away for repair.

They are a bit slow on database updates as well but otherwise nice to use.

Enjoy.

:D

Tinstaafl
1st May 2005, 13:49
I'm tempted by the Lowrance 500 model as my portable backup. My only gripe is that they changed the cursor control into one of those 4 way rocker things from the older 100 model's discrete buttons. I *much* prefer individual buttons for movement. Much better to discriminate exactly which movement is to be effected.

Garmin has one of the worst rocker pads I've ever used (expecially on their GPS 3) and that's what started my antipathy towards single pad cursor controls.