PDA

View Full Version : Scrapped Ryanair 737

Rhino power
30th Apr 2005, 22:49
Can anyone explain the reason why what appears to be primer has been applied to the fuselage of this scrapped Ryanair 732?

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/814430/L/

Regards, RP

Fernando_Covas
1st May 2005, 03:04
If you look closley at ryan airs 732's they have small "patches" riveted onto them. Perhaps these have been removed...

twenty eight
2nd May 2005, 07:08
Probably being used to train engineers how to fix a old airframe.

TheOddOne
2nd May 2005, 08:45
I think there was a story going around that, allegedly, a company carrying out work on some of the older 737-200 in the Ryanair fleet had used metal tools to scrape away the paint and had damaged the surface to the extent that the airframe was 'scrap', or beyond economic repair. I believe that Ryanair were attempting to extract millions of pounds (Euros?) in damages. Perhaps someone has got an approved repair scheme from Boeing and is 'un-scrapping' the aircraft for re-use.

Dunno, look forward to more 'inside' info on this one.

Cheers,
The Odd One

Matty J
2nd May 2005, 22:22
The Odd One is correct about the metal tools. ;)

The company involved at the time was FLS Aerospace and whilst trying to remove the paint they decided to use metal tools rather than the correct plastic ones.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This resulted in many large scratches to the fueslage and it was not worth FR investing in repairs as the -200's were due to be retired anyway.

I'll see what i can find out about the damages FR were after.

Some of the -200's still in service have that many patches its a joke!!! The Hertz aircraft is about the most comical to look at!:yuk: :yuk:

Regards.

Matt.:ok:

Boss Raptor
6th May 2005, 18:04
The primer 'patches' correspond with the exact design/position of the doublers (apparently removed at scrapping for whatever reason exposing the lower primer prepared skin or for that matter in process of being fitted to return the acft to service (unlikely!) ) that are fitted in due course and common to all B737-200/300/400/500 Boeings for that matter as appropriate to and in accordance with the Boeing (or Airbus or whoever's) 'Aging Aircraft Programme' Airworthiness Directive/Supplementary Structural Inspection (and associated Service Bulletins, documents and mod. programme). Together with other preventative structural mods. also driven by AD's/ASB's once the aircraft reach approx. between 14 and 20 years old - these ongoing structural sampling and modification programmes are common to all manufacturers/types, Airbus, Boeing and whomever - they are not a joke and if you dont like them then there wont be many of these 737's 200-500's that you'll be able/want to fly in ;)

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/338F11D02EFDD75E862569A70073BFAF?OpenDocument

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/E90725AFB797696D8625696F0071E897?OpenDocument

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/5DC0A33E702A643E862569740072B29D?OpenDocument

The damage to the FR aircraft (as I understand it from reliable sources) involved removal of masking tape (after painting?) with a stanley knife badly scoring the skins for which there was a repair scheme possible involving skin replacement but eventually deemed uneconomic to implement

simfly
6th May 2005, 18:58
I note on airliners.net that the said aircraft has not been photo'd for a few years before this one, so it's prob been in the hangar being used for spares for some time..

PIGDOG
7th May 2005, 10:09
My guess is Ryanair were trying to re-use the paint on one of their shiny newies!!

"...if you peel it off very carefully we can just stick it on an -800 and save a bundle..."

or

"...a paint job costs how much? Sure we've got a few spares lying around here somewhere..."

:D :D

Runway 31
7th May 2005, 11:00
I see that one of the 200's EI-CJI, left Prestwick on Thursday re-registered as G-FIGP and flew to Bournmouth for new owners.

I belive that the new owners are Euorpean Skybus and are something to do with the Minardi racing outfit.

Irish Steve
7th May 2005, 18:29
something to do with the Minardi racing outfit.

It's previous owners gave it plenty of practise:E :D :E :D

Rhino power
7th May 2005, 21:32
Thanks to all who replied, curiosity now satisfied!:ok:

Regards, RP

Doors to Automatic
5th Jun 2005, 22:35
A friend of mine has seen the front end of the Jaguar liveried one in a hangar at Biggin Hill recently. Any idea what's happening to it?