PDA

View Full Version : VFR Flying in Italy

rednine
30th Apr 2005, 14:36
Has anybody any experience or tips about private flying in Italy?

BossEyed
30th Apr 2005, 14:51
No personal experience, but have a look here (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13407&highlight=italy)

In fact, a search for "Italy" on that board will probably turn up a few more pointers.

rednine
30th Apr 2005, 15:40
BossEyed
Thats very helpful with lots of information - many thanks!!!

Flying Boat
1st May 2005, 21:04
I flew from Jersey to Rome Urbe in 1998, PA28, via Limoges, Montpellier & Genoa.

If interested, let me know & I will try to answer any questions.

TTFN

FB:ok:

AfricanEagle
2nd May 2005, 08:53
Rednine,

let me know your general routing and I will try to give you some tips.

AE

cblinton@blueyonder.
2nd May 2005, 09:32
I am also going to Italy end of May touring for 2 weeks.
Mrs CB wants to go to Venice but we plan to see as much as poss.

I am thinking of routing down to Cannes then over the border to Albenga then Venice. Then down the west coast to Sicily and back up the east maybe Sardinia and Corsica.

When are you going Rednine?
If its after me I will let you know how we got on etc.

Also any advice from anyone will be good:ok:

rednine
2nd May 2005, 12:40
Planning to go in August or September. Plan to go via Luca, then stop as close to Rome as possible followed by Naples. On the return leg would like to go to Venice and then possible returning via Germany - thats the plan at the moment.

Any info about this would be appreciated thanks

cubflyer
3rd May 2005, 21:37
There have been a couple of articles about flying in Italy in Popular Flying. Some interesting stuff. Problems with getting fuel and problems with ATC thinking everyone is IFR. but also friendly receptions in many places.
Be wary of going in August. I tried to visit some airfields whilst there on holiday only to find them closed up for 2-3 weeks. The Civil service Admin staff had their summer holidays and so no one was allowed to fly!! Found glider pilots cleaning out their trailers at Turin Aeritalia, but they couldnt get into the hangar where their aircraft were!! The Bureaucrats had taken the keys. Luckily Milan Bresso- probably the biggest GA field in Italy has opened up the day before we visit, following a two week closure! This was 4 years ago, maybe things have improved!