PDA

View Full Version : VFR flight logs for CPL

Future Pundit
30th Apr 2005, 07:54
Has anybody found a site where I can download an Excel file for a VFR flight log/plan suitable for CPL training? A file for PPL use would also be useful.

I have seen several formats, but my Excel skills are not brilliant so if there is one out there it would be great.

Tinstaafl
30th Apr 2005, 23:00
I have a few that I've made up, mostly suitable to Oz practices, plus some that are based on my former UK employer's system. You're welcome to the various ones I have. Send me a PM with your email address & I'll email them as attachments

A note: It might take me some time to dig them up from my archives betweenmy work demands.

bobcox
2nd May 2005, 10:10
I have prepared an excel PLOG based generally on the one I used when studying for my PPL.

It automates much of the planning process.

I would be happy to share this with you (or any other member) - all I ask is for constructive feedback (on the forum if desired) and of course you must use it at your own discretion.

Please PM me your email address and I will gladly oblige.

bobcox

Genghis the Engineer
2nd May 2005, 10:52
There's a reasonable one built into Navbox proplan, which isn't cheap but well worth it if you do a lot of non-local flying.

I've not seen the latest version of Quickplan, but imagine that has too.

I have to confess, that I rarely use the proplan version, I have a word-generated sheet that suits me (similar to the commercial Pooleys / AFE, etc. versions but tweaked to suit my personal style), and I enjoy the mental exercise of doing it longhand, plus I only do 20 or so long trips a year.

G

dublinpilot
2nd May 2005, 14:33
Here (http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/VFR%20Flight%20Plan-Calculations.xls) is the one that I made up.

Does all your heading/timing calculations for you.

dp

bladewashout
2nd May 2005, 16:01
I have found this site gives me most of what I need to get a plan going:

http://fly.dsc.net/

BW

Keygrip
3rd May 2005, 02:42
I feel a rant coming on - but that will be another thread.

FP - the scenario of the CPL flight test is that you already hold a CPL and that this will be "a simulated public transport flight conducted in accordance with VFR flight rules".

To operate a "public transport" flight you must have an AOC (Air Operators Certificate), to get one of those your company must have an Operations Manual.

As a pilot with that operator you must abide by that manual and comply with all its rules and regulations - some of which are law, some of which are company mandated.

One of the sections of that manual will be the "Official Company Flight Log(s)" - both VFR and IFR.

The flight school that you choose - OAT in this case - will have "Company Approved Flight Logs" and the CAA Examiners based at Oxford are well aware of that - indeed, one of them may well have written the thing. If you attempt to use any other log (of your own construction - or copied from fellow pilots) be prepared to answer questions as to why you are not complying with the Company Operations Manual.

High Wing Drifter
3rd May 2005, 07:54
Is this your opinion or the CAA's? I can't see anything about a fictional AoC compliance in any of the requirements. Where has this come from. As far as I am aware and everybody I know who has passed the test, a simple VFR plog with route, fuel, timings, freqs, aids and an R/T and course correction log is all that is required.

Whopity
3rd May 2005, 20:16
Try Standards Doc 3 - Notes for the Guidance of Applicants taking the CPL Skill Test.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_03_A.PDF

a. The purpose of the flight
The purpose of the flight is for the applicant to demonstrate his ability to plan and conduct a Public Transport Flight (simulated) whilst acting as pilot-in-command and operating as a single crewmember.

vivadavinci
4th May 2005, 10:55
Of course not all FTO's hold AOC's.

I wrote mine in hand on the back of the weather print out and it seems that was fine as i passed.

Mind you typical vfr helicopter ops tend to be from field to field so I guess the back of a fag packet might be all that's available.

Keygrip
4th May 2005, 12:05
Of course not all FTO's hold AOC's.

....but they all have OPS Manuals.

silverknapper
4th May 2005, 14:39
I would counter Keygrip by saying I would hope any airline I did work for would have a decent, well thought out PLOG. Having seen the pathetic attempts that some schools pass off it's little wonder people use their own. Indeed before my CPL test the examiner saw the schools one and gave me one from his collection for use in the future.