PDA

View Full Version : Wx Div to MOD field

stiknruda
27th Apr 2005, 19:47
Where can I find a definitive statement about landing fees payable in the event of a wx div?

I may just have a "friend" in this predicament! :(

Stik

Genghis the Engineer
27th Apr 2005, 20:04
I've done a fuel diversion into an RAF station, I offered a landing fee but they declined it on the grounds that it was a safety diversion.

G

topcat450
27th Apr 2005, 20:14
The CAP where it's recommended is CAP 667 (9.2 (c)) to be precise, although there it's only a safety recommendation / suggestion for airfields.

AOPA have a list of those who have (and those who have refused) to sign upto the scheme. The following is as of Jan 1st 05

http://www.aopa.co.uk/newsfromaopa/aopa189.pdf

If that's not enough, AOPA will at least be able to point you further in the right direction.

stiknruda
27th Apr 2005, 22:02
Topcat - top news!

The field where I , err, "my friend", landed yesterday is named in your list.

I shall happily send them the £20 for the next ATC party! The guys in the Tower and at Visiting Aircraft Section could not have been more friendly. Have sent the Station boss a thank-you letter.

Stik

AerBabe
28th Apr 2005, 06:35
Why did you send the Station boss a thank-you letter? Couldn't your 'friend' do that? :confused:

stiknruda
28th Apr 2005, 07:18
Oh, Aerbabe - you are obviously too young to remember the days when, if someone wrote a letter (snail-mail) to an agony-aunt in the back of a magazine, that the problem always purported to belong to the author's friend! I was just attempting to parody that. Given the less than totally anonymous nature of this particular forum, eg., quite a few of us know exactly who you are, where you live and your 'phone number - I thought it slightly more fun to pretend that a chum had to divert, when really it was me all along! Childish, I know - but the little boy is never very far from the surface!

Anyway - surely you have better/more fun things to do than peruse Pprune so early in the morning?

Stik

AerBabe
28th Apr 2005, 13:49
Sorry Stik, for making you admit to your 'embarassing problem' in public. I did, of course, realise that your 'friend' was another of your pretend ones. However, I was giving you the chance to hide your tracks before anyone else realised.

FullyFlapped
28th Apr 2005, 14:56
I did, of course, realise that your 'friend' was another of your pretend ones.
Does Stik have lots of pretend friends then ?

FF :ok:

ShyTorque
28th Apr 2005, 16:52
At least one, named Ruda?

Brooklands
28th Apr 2005, 17:02
Stik,

There was a recent discussion along the same lines in this thread (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12846&highlight=benson+diversion) on the Flyer forums.

May be worth a read.

Brooklands

stiknruda
28th Apr 2005, 18:10
Brooklands,

Thanks for that - interesting reading! I am not whinging about the £20 as frankly it was a whole lot cheaper than a smoking hole in the ground.

It is merely the principle that I wanted clarification about.

As stated ATC or VAS can have the twenty for their next section "do"!

Why don't one of you Flyer forumites invite that helpful Sqn Ldr ATC'er to partake in the joys of Pprune?

Stik

Snakecharmer
29th Apr 2005, 16:27
A few quid to ATC / VAS beer funds seems like the 'staff solution'! Excellent!

To digress slightly.. what a strange concept... to include financial considerations (landing fees) in a decision on whether or not to divert. If you need to divert - do it! Worry about the money later. Must be some strange decision-making processes out there to generate the need for this strange list of free diversions.

topcat450
29th Apr 2005, 17:37
But thats just it, by allowing all diversions to be 'free', it removes a financial consideration which could be part of the decision making process.

Admittedly, if my engine goes BANG and loses power...I'm going down and I will land in Madonna's backgarden if I have to - it's doubtful I'll have time to worry about if her Dobermans will take kindly to an aicraft dropping in unannouced. As you said, I'll worry about that once on the ground and safe.

On the other hand, if I'm on a XC and the weather ahead isn't great... it's not REALLY bad but it's enough to make me uncomfortable with the situation - financial considerations can come into play - If I'm near Leicester and the weather goes tits up - a fiver landing fee I can live with, If I'm near EastMids and think I'm going to be given a £40 fee (inc mandatory handling...) I'm more likely to press on into a situation where i shouldn't be.

It'd be nice to think finances won't ever come into it, unfortunately - in some cases, not all, but in some, they will do and I personally think this is a good initiative which if it helps one person make the 'right' decision - has been worth it.

(and a few quid towards the party fund will no doubt leave all parties involved happy with the outcome) :ok:

tmmorris
29th Apr 2005, 19:56
If I'm near Leicester and the weather goes tits up - a fiver landing fee I can live with,

A tenner when I went last...

Tim