PDA

View Full Version : Finmere

charles wheeldon
27th Apr 2005, 17:04
Anyone know what is happening at Finmere?

2Donkeys
27th Apr 2005, 18:20
Acquired by a gentleman by the name of GT, if the rumours are to be believed. To be spruced up for his own use IIRC.

2D

Lomcovaks
27th Apr 2005, 20:53
There's no rumours.

Gary Tait bought Finmere last year and has sunk a lot of his own money into much needed repairs and development.

He's building a hangar for his own aircraft and a new house too.

Furthermore, he's been more than kind to those of us lucky enough to be based there by letting us stay and continue our low-key operations from there.

cubflyer
27th Apr 2005, 21:42
There is also a new microlight school at Finmere so I understand

charles wheeldon
28th Apr 2005, 07:44
Not available to occasional visitors, then?

Orange Arm Waver
28th Apr 2005, 09:07
Drove past the other day and the fence at the end of the runway looked quite substantial and not overly frangible...

Changed a bit since the VAC & The Knapton's were there... Nice to see an airfield used these days and developed.

Good on GT.

Sir George Cayley
28th Apr 2005, 12:24
So, its been Tait Modern-ised :D ?

Well done.

The Turner Finals Prize next?

Sir George Cayley

....pulling on coat and opening the door........

Lomcovaks
28th Apr 2005, 13:58
I like the Tait-Modern joke!

To be honest, I don't know about visiting aircraft. I'm collecting my aircraft from its annual tomorrow and flying it back to Finmere, so I'll check and see if the visitors' book is still at the threshold and get back to you.

I'm afraid that the glory days of the VAC fly-ins with Prue & Bill hosting at Finmere are but fond memories now. However, all things considered, things are working out well and you couldn't ask for a more straightforward and decent airfield owner than Gary.

James McCafferty runs microflights training school at Finmere and is also the best contact regarding visiting, simply because he's there so much. From memory, he can be contacted via his web site:

www.microflights.com